Author Topic: The Future of Star Wars Collecting?  (Read 236486 times)

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
Re: The Future of Star Wars Collecting?
« Reply #600 on: April 19, 2019, 11:40 PM »
I think Star Wars in the 3.75" scale is going to stay around as long as there's a toy line.  The legacy of the Kenner line is strong and it kept going for 20 years since the PT era.  It will probably have some sort of presence moving forward.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #601 on: April 19, 2019, 11:56 PM »
I don’t want it to go away either, but I also know that more new and less repacks and rehashes isn’t likely.

I don’t like the 5poa and mostly got them on sale or even clearance, and so that leaves me with basically very little left.  The line still interests me with what they do crank out though but I’m fine with minimal or it ending all together.  It isn’t going back to how it was, at least not for a long time and major changes.  I like what I get and would love more, I just don’t care either way becUse collecting for me will just change is all.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #602 on: April 22, 2019, 11:47 AM »
Looks like Tunghori removed all items from his eBay store. Anyone know if he's done? Have you found any other sellers along the same lines as him/her?
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: April 22, 2019, 11:57 AM »
I saw that too.  I know that sometimes sellers will de-list everything if they go on vacation.  But with sellers who deal in volume they very often have the option of a vacation setting.

Is it possible that either Hasbro or Disney finally caught up with him?  The running theory seemed to be that he had factory seconds for sale that weren't authorized.  Or did the shift from HK manufacturing to Vietnam finally dry up his supply?  From what I could find the last sales took place on April 14th and everything seems to have been pulled.

EDIT - I did a little searching, and it seems like Tunghori has had some periods where the Star Wars Army Store has gone dark before.  This might be one of those instances again.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2019, 12:05 PM by Nicklab »

Feedback

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #604 on: April 22, 2019, 02:08 PM »
I saw that too.  I know that sometimes sellers will de-list everything if they go on vacation.  But with sellers who deal in volume they very often have the option of a vacation setting.

Is it possible that either Hasbro or Disney finally caught up with him?  The running theory seemed to be that he had factory seconds for sale that weren't authorized.  Or did the shift from HK manufacturing to Vietnam finally dry up his supply?  From what I could find the last sales took place on April 14th and everything seems to have been pulled.

EDIT - I did a little searching, and it seems like Tunghori has had some periods where the Star Wars Army Store has gone dark before.  This might be one of those instances again.

Cool, let's hope he's just taking a (short) break. I don't buy current offerings from him, in order to support the line. But I'd rather buy from him at a reasonable price than give my money to some eBay scalpers...that ****'s just unsustainable.
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: April 23, 2019, 02:03 AM »
I am probably in the minority here, but I will miss the 5POA line if/when it is replaced by 5" GOA. I had pretty much shored up my collection by 2008, and the first run of Vintage did not entice me much, except for the random "new" figure (and that was when they could be found at all...) The new Vintage doesn't do much for me either...I have bought 2 so far (Hoth Rebel and a Mimban Stormie.) Those 80s GIJoe-style leg and hip joints are just plain ugly to me and don't fit in my collection. I will get Crait Luke when/if I see it, but I'm not looking out for much of anything else so far announced.

I have enjoyed collecting Disney-era 5POA figures in a limited capacity, and I don't think I will continue if they jump scales, just as i never got into the 6" line. I suppose the only TRoS figures I can wind up with is the couple of Vintage figures they will put out. Kind of a dud way to end the saga.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: April 30, 2019, 08:38 PM »

Cool, let's hope he's just taking a (short) break. I don't buy current offerings from him, in order to support the line. But I'd rather buy from him at a reasonable price than give my money to some eBay scalpers...that ****'s just unsustainable.

A little more follow-up on this topic:  the Tunghori ebay page is still not listing any items, and has a headline asking people not to attempt to make contact at this time.

Similarly, the Viperkingdom ebay store seems shut down at this time.  And today I saw a report on RS about Chinese authorities shutting down a company that was bootlegging Lego sets in significant quantities.  I'm waiting to see if some of the 6" TBS knock-offs start dwindling on ebay, but a lot of those are still listed.

Feedback

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: May 1, 2019, 10:49 AM »
Tunghori's disappearance was the first thing I thought of when I read about the Lepin/Lego bust.

I get this message on his listings today: "This seller is currently away until May 04, 2019, and is not processing orders at this time."

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: May 11, 2019, 05:53 PM »
Tunghori is back up and running.

Feedback

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #609 on: May 11, 2019, 09:22 PM »
Now that he’s back, beware sites who like to sensationalize their news and slip in unannounced affiliate links to Amazon, eBay, Walmart, and basically anything else they can. 🤭
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: May 13, 2019, 01:19 PM »
I just wanted to mention that while I'm very pleased with the case breakdowns for the Vintage releases so far, I still don't know how to feel overall, mainly because I've bought very few vintage collection figures in brick and mortar stores.

I've been able to acquire everything I want, but that's nearly 100% because of the near perfect case breakdown of all the waves. I think Wave 2 was the only case that wasn't ideal. The plus is, I can buy cases on-line and waste no money on figures I don't need. I also get the perfect cases for carded figure storage. The X-factor is that while I'm happy with that situation, retail has been pretty awful. As of yesterday, wave one cases were still being stock on the brick and mortar pegs I visited hunting for the retro figures. Wave 5 is reportedly starting to ship. That feels like an ominous sign.  :'(
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #611 on: July 22, 2019, 04:56 PM »
Catching up on SDCC stuff from the weekend and saw that it's official - the only 3.75" 5POA line this Fall will be the reissued Retro Collection figures.  Check out the Star Wars Action News' interview with Hasbro @ SDCC for the words from Hasbro's (Sam's) mouth.

And no confirmation yet that the Retro Collection will be anything more than one wave of figures and the Tarkin/board game set.

So Fall 2019 =
$10 - 5" Galaxy of Adventures
$10 - 3.75" Retro Collection
$13 - 3.75" Vintage Collection
$20 - 6" Black Series

Makes me wonder what the reaction would be if Wave 2 of the Retro Collection is Sequel Trilogy characters in the 5POA Kenner style...
« Last Edit: July 22, 2019, 05:00 PM by Jeff »
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: July 22, 2019, 05:00 PM »
Wow, so it actually was the DETAH OF THE LINE!!!!  :D

Damn shame for Resistance toys.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
« Reply #613 on: July 22, 2019, 05:18 PM »
Assuming this Hasbro rep is accurate and not playing coy for TFF (or is just unaware of full plans) then this could mean no mainline at the 3.75” scale for TROS at all. TVC is not going to support the entire movie, so that leaves 5” GOA.  A potentially very dark time for Star Wars Toys. Then again perhaps a 3.75” mainline for the movie comes out after TFF??
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: July 22, 2019, 05:27 PM »
Assuming this Hasbro rep is accurate and not playing coy for TFF (or is just unaware of full plans) then this could mean no mainline at the 3.75” scale for TROS at all. TVC is not going to support the entire movie, so that leaves 5” GOA.  A potentially very dark time for Star Wars Toys. Then again perhaps a 3.75” mainline for the movie comes out after TFF??

The idea that I'm going to have a shelf full of 3.75" scale for episode 7 and 8, and then a scattering of TVC figures for episode 9 is a little upsetting.  If they were going to kill it, I wish they'd have killed it after the trilogy was finished.  Unless TVC has been so successful that they're just planning on a huge TVC roll out for Episode 9, this actually does seem a little bit like the beginning of the end.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2019, 05:28 PM by Rob »