Author Topic: UGP - a Star Wars WORLD! - news thread  (Read 44167 times)

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: The Ultimate Group Project - a Star Wars WORLD!
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2006, 07:27 PM »
*Ahem, too excited...

This is an awesome suggestion! I have an idea for this new planet that I think most of ya'll will appreciate.

The customizing community here is lucky to have such a large contingent of customizers who appreciate military design and function. What if we were to create a local, planetary force that acted as suppliment to the Imperial Forces on the planet in terms of maintaining order and managing police activities? I think that the creation of such a force would provide a great oppertunity for those of us who are interested in military customs to have a chance to really 'have at it' and create some creative, original designs for this planet's troopers.

Whaddya think?

« Last Edit: June 19, 2006, 07:40 PM by Vator »
- June 22, 2004 12:13 AM -

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2006, 07:39 PM »
What's teamspeak?

From what I can see we first need to agree on a time period, location and building zones. Maybe someone could design a map that we can use during discussions. I like Ryan's oranization chart and think we should start with this and refine it as time goes by. Weekly chat sessions would be a great help. Feel free to start spreading the word about this project at different sites and get the discussion flowing. I would like to have in about a month:

1: a time period
2: planet location
3: preliminary map of the diorama
4: group leaders assigned and a organization chart (it can change as time goes on)
5: some beginning concept drawings or references posted

I really think this thing should be set in time between ROTS and ANH. This way we can get the most people involved and we have the most fodder. I believe that there should be at least one city and possibily one hidden base. The rest could be jungles or waste lands.

Another suggest for location is the Spice mines of Kessel. We could have a small imperial outpost but have the entire planet ruled by the Black Sun crime synicate. We could have lots seedy looking characters running around. Lots of droids could be working on mining for Spice. Lots of industrial looking buildings. Maybe some rebel spys running around.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2006, 07:45 PM »
A special military police is a great idea. We'll have to keep it in mind as this thing grows and changes.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2006, 07:53 PM »
I think that the idea of a fan fic world is the best, having some sort of small town with an Imperial garrison on it would rock... you could even have an alley way with a refugee Jedi getting shot down by Stormtroopers.

Then you could even have wilderness like suggested, with some animals and even an Imperial shuttle with a small group of troops patrolling the area.

Wow... I really like this.  And I agree, between EP3 and EP4 would be the best timeline, and I lean with it closer to the OT era, maybe a few years prior to ANH.

:)

Offline CloneCommander1

• Jedi Initiate
  • Oh no you did-nt!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2006, 08:02 PM »
I really like this idea too, maybe have a small rebel guerilla force carrying out small attacks, sort of a precursor to a full-fledged rebellion and civil war.  Maybe a little hidden base out in the wilderness?
Wow, I really like this idea!
It's not just football, it's Notre Dame football!

Offline Fritzkrieg

• Jedi Padawan
  • Don't make me destroy you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2006, 08:10 PM »
I'm In!

I'll be happy to contribute. Sign me up for vehicle and Figure Cutoms. My personal favorite time periods would be either durring the Clone Wars or Durring the Rise of the Empire. I would also love to see some Jungle and some ruins. As soon as we nail down the Concept I'll get to work.

Fritzkrieg

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2006, 08:28 PM »
I have an idea you guys may or may not like... I would really like to get Owen D. as a part of this.  As you know he's made numerous Imperial playsets for me.  I am hesitant to send one of these one-of-a-kind masterpieces, but think I have an idea that really might make for a killer centerpiece.  I don't know about you guys, but I haven't seen ANYONE make the kind of buildings he's made.

What if we commission Owen to make some sort of Imperial fortress?  Kind of like this one -

I haven't mentioned this to Owen yet, but I think he might be interested.  Either Phruby or myself could collect the money, and send to Owen.  He would ship it directly to Phruby.

Afterwards, there would be a random drawing to see who wins it.  For each $10.00 you contribute, you get one entry.  So if you throw in $30.00, you get three chances to win... This way we could potentially raise hundreds of dollars and he could make a kickass playset for it, and one lucky winner can add it to their collection?  I would be willing to add to this and even take my name off the ballot to prove nothing is rigged.

Thoughts?

:)

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2006, 08:50 PM »
Something tells me there might be some expenses to putting on the whole thing. I don't know what booth space would cost. We might be able to find a sponser for that. Shipping items to and from the convention center would have a cost. These are things we can figure out later once we start to see things being made and how big this is going to be.

Could I get everyone that is planning on working on a committee to email me at master.phruby@verizon.net. Please include you real name, handle and what committee your interested in. I want to put together a email mailing list.

Offline Clone Hunter

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Cybertronian Artifacts
« Reply #38 on: June 19, 2006, 08:57 PM »
I think:

Between ROTS and ANH, good idea.
I think any random world would be kool, but what happened to Naboo during/after the Clone Wars?
I am willing to contribute some kind of figure or vehicle customs, even if they suck.
I am willing to host WIP and completed shots on my page. I can isolate it from my personal stuff.

I like the raffle idea. Count me in.
My trade thread: http://www.jedidefender.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=10408.0
Email is your best bet to contact me.

Offline Quazar

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 19, 2006, 09:11 PM »
I think a lot of us are very much on the same page about the kind of planet
we're talking about here.

I agree with the setting, between ROTS & ANH, but closer to ANH.  We could have
stormtroopers and a few older clone types thrown in.

Here are my thoughts -

Just riffing here, but the planet itself is like Tatooine (not in terms of geography), but in the
sense that it's an out of the way place that is home to a lot of criminal activity.

So an Imperial garrison was recently established to stem the rampant illegal activity.

But, meanwhile, a  proto-Rebel cell had already set up shop there, running guns &
equipment for the fledgling Alliance.

This way, we can have Imperials, rebels, criminals, etc.  We have Imperial bases, cantinas,
shops, palace for the local crimelord, a rebel hideout, hangar bays, whatever....

And the town/spaceport can be on the edge of a jungle or woods, so we can add some texture and
terrain.

We should have a contest to name the planet, everyone can submit, say, up to three entries and
everyone votes on them.

I also like the "raffle" idea, but I think we should definitely cap participation at, say, $30.  Don't want
anyone to be able to "buy" the victory by donating absurd amounts of money, especially since we're
not all in the same boat financially.
Sith Lords Are Our Speciality

Offline Darth_Ennis

• Jedi Padawan
  • The beatings will continue until morale improves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 19, 2006, 09:12 PM »
I like the whole REpublic/Imperial transition period is s great Idea. I say we run with that. About the only good I can do since I am nothing more than a caveman with a keyboard, is to contribute my customs or help organise something to that effect. I wopuldn't be of much use any other way Im afraid. I apparantly missed the charts im going to go back a page or 2 to see if I van help anywhere else.

Offline Glassman6

• Jedi Padawan
  • Hey...Its Me!
    • View Profile
    • Glassman's Customs
« Reply #41 on: June 19, 2006, 10:11 PM »
Phurby has a good point about the cost factor. We need someone to work out the money logistics, first.

talk to nien numb and others who have participated in the previous C's and find out some basics.
I think any money that gets raised/contributed to the project should take care of the big things first.

We need to figure out a definate size to this project. One or Two tables. We should set the Zero level about 10 inchs above the table so we can have low points( pits and valleys)

I think we need a "secretary" to go through and chronical all these ideas that are being thrown in.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 19, 2006, 10:26 PM »
I may want in on this.  Where is C4 taking place and when?
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline CloneCommander1

• Jedi Initiate
  • Oh no you did-nt!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 19, 2006, 11:21 PM »
May 24-28, 2007 I belive.
It's not just football, it's Notre Dame football!

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 19, 2006, 11:35 PM »
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda