Author Topic: Transformers  (Read 360121 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: Transformers
« Reply #1740 on: February 6, 2019, 05:44 PM »
Read on IGN today that a couple of characters from Bumblebee are coming to the Studio Series line, most notably the new (better) design of Optimus Prime (as well as Dropkick). I personally don't know too much about Studio Series, although it seems sort of like Black Series for Transformers? I haven't picked any of them up, but the Prime looks pretty cool.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1741 on: February 23, 2019, 06:13 PM »
Thanks Ben, I appreciate the info. I may just forget it then. I doubt our black hole of a Wal-Mart would have these anyways. I sort of wanted Bumblebee, then thought it might be fun to collect minibots. Still sort of interested in these re-releases, I wasn't able to get many Transformers as a kid so it is kind of like getting many of them for the first time. I got a Prime reissue a few years back, as well as a Sideswipe from when our KB went out of business. Had a Soundwave at one point that I had to sell, although I wish I hadn't. From time to time I still think about trying to get a few modern versions of my favorite characters that just display nicely on bot mode. Saw a new (I think?) Optimus and Megatron the other day at Target. I know the Masterpiece versions are really the best, but I don't know if I can spend that much.

I was at Wal-Mart for the first time in a loooong time this week to pick up a car battery, and decided to take a stroll through the toys while walking back and happened to find a pile of the minibots. Card condition was a little wonky on most, and they only had two Bumblebees, but I decided to grab one. I think I may go back this week to grab the rest. Always loved the minibots, and the reissues in general always have that sense of nostalgia. Looking forward to more, are these all coming to Wal-Mart then?

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1742 on: February 24, 2019, 11:59 AM »
WalMart sucks
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1743 on: February 24, 2019, 03:13 PM »

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #1744 on: February 24, 2019, 09:01 PM »
Yeah, they’re all Wally exclusives.  :-\
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1745 on: March 2, 2019, 07:35 PM »
Was back at WM this week to return the used car battery, and I was weak and picked up the rest of the minibots. They did have several of the trailer-less Prime re-releases on hand too. I have one from years ago, which I think was cheaper than the $50 they are asking for this, and that one had a trailer. Still neat to see on the shelf though.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #1746 on: April 19, 2019, 07:10 AM »
Picked up Gears and Warpath last weekend, so they’re getting out there now. They ship with carry-forwards of Bumblebee and Swerve, if you missed them earlier.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1747 on: June 7, 2019, 01:24 PM »
No sign of Gears/Warpath here yet, but hopefully soon. Always a big fan of the minibots. Speaking of which, I've sort of got the Transformers bug lately, and have been picking up a few things. Grabbed the Optimus and Megatron from the Siege line, and have also been tracking down some minibots from the past couple lines as well (Windcharger, Beachcomber - a fave, and Bumblebee, Brawn, and Cosmos on the way). Looking into the Siege Soundwave (grabbed the Ravage/Laserbeak pack this week). Just kind of like the recent versions that have 'bot modes very G1 like.

Quick question, I've always wanted to get a version of Blaster since I was a kid. I'm kicking myself for passing on the Titans Return one from a little while back, as it seems to be getting pricier. I'm sort of priced out of the MP game I think, so I started looking at some 3rd party stuff for a number of bots. I've never owned one myself, are some worse/better than others? For example, on Blaster, BBTS has one from Magic Square that is $35. There is also one from "Keith's Fantasy Club - KFC" which does look more detailed, but runs $150. Is there a go to third party vendor, or is it sort of pick and choose?

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #1748 on: June 7, 2019, 05:17 PM »
I’m not very knowledgeable about third party stuff. I try to avoid it, since I spend enough on official stuff. But the G1 version of Blaster is coming to Walmart next year, and I’m assuming his cassette buddies will tag along.

https://news.tfw2005.com/2019/05/18/blaster-wins-the-walmart-exclusive-g1-reissue-2020-fan-vote-388380

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1749 on: June 7, 2019, 07:44 PM »
I’m not very knowledgeable about third party stuff. I try to avoid it, since I spend enough on official stuff. But the G1 version of Blaster is coming to Walmart next year, and I’m assuming his cassette buddies will tag along.

https://news.tfw2005.com/2019/05/18/blaster-wins-the-walmart-exclusive-g1-reissue-2020-fan-vote-388380

Thank you so much Ben, I didn't know that. Yeah, I don't know anything about 3rd party stuff either, and I was researching the Blasters I mentioned earlier and it appears the $35 one is in the smaller, Legends-ish scale, so that explains the price. I don't necessarily have a huge budget to spend on Transformers, but the way so much of the recent stuff has had that G1 look has kind of been calling to me.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1750 on: June 21, 2019, 09:58 PM »
With a bit of a lull in SW lately, my eye has been wandering over to the Transformers section a little bit. Now again, I am far from an expert on all things Transformers, but I really think the Siege line is pretty great. I started with Optimus, then Soundwave, and then Megatron - which are all pretty great. Then this week I grabbed Sideswipe (one of my favorites as a kid), and Hound which look so nice as well. I've also been tracking down a number of the minibots from the past couple lines - Bumblebee, Brawn, Beachcomber, Windcharger, Cosmos, and Seaspray. I really like those minibots, hope to see more. I did pick up a Titans Return (I think) Jazz that was being clearances out at BBTS, but I didn't like it quite as much as Sideswipe/Jazz. Tempted to go after Ironhide and/or Starscream with the next go round. I basically just leave them in bot mode, which are toon tastic.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #1751 on: July 12, 2019, 07:51 AM »
The Siege line has been tempting me something fierce lately. I might be too far behind since I don’t see Sideswipe or Hound anymore.

I did find the G1 Prime on clearance at my local Wally for $35. I left it, but might go back and get one before they disappear. It’s just too tempting.  ;)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1752 on: July 12, 2019, 10:29 AM »
The Siege line has been tempting me something fierce lately. I might be too far behind since I don’t see Sideswipe or Hound anymore.

I did find the G1 Prime on clearance at my local Wally for $35. I left it, but might go back and get one before they disappear. It’s just too tempting.  ;)

After relatively getting out of Transformers for the most part, and selling (later regretting) my classics/universe stuff, Siege is what drug me back. Started with just Optimus, but went downhill from there. I don't know if you want to go this route or not, but I got Sideswipe (my childhood fave) and Hound from Amazon and BBTS respectively and they are both still available from both places at retail price.

I've been just getting one here and there to catch up, but not all of them. So far I've grabbed Prime, Megatron, Soundwave - and Ravage/Laserbeak, Sideswipe, Hound, Starscream, and Ironhide (as well as several minibots from the past couple lines). Thinking next I'll grab Prowl, and possibly Shockwave.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #1753 on: July 18, 2019, 08:03 AM »
Soundwave has been very tempting, and same with Springer. Gah.  Maybe I’ll get Sideswipe since I really didn’t like the Universe version. Then there’s that Omega Supreme...  :o

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #1754 on: July 26, 2019, 11:18 AM »
Picked up the G1 Soundwave and cassette reissues today. They’re getting out there, slowly...