Author Topic: Batman v Superman / Justice League / DC Movies  (Read 86895 times)

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
Re: Batman v Superman / Justice League / DC Movies
« Reply #210 on: March 21, 2016, 03:58 PM »
I'm interested in hearing reviews from people who aren't emotionally invested in the movie being a huge hit.  I've been reading a whole lot of "OMG THIS IS THE BEST MOVIE EVER" stuff from people I know are huge DC fanboys (and who didn't think MoS was a crapfest).  It's coming across as a bit desperate.

I like the characters and want it to be good, but don't have high hopes.  I'll try to post a few thoughts Wed night.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #211 on: March 21, 2016, 07:51 PM »
I think the R rating for the home release is the only thing that will save this movie. I wish the Marvel movies had done it like the Marvel Netflix shows.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #212 on: March 23, 2016, 11:53 AM »
Sadly, 40% on Rotten Tomatoes means I'll be saving my money and waiting for Netflix.  Sounds like it's about on par with what I expected after Man of Steel.  DC/WB really needs to launch Snyder into orbit and retool.  Maybe build up their TV universe and use that to launch some feature films.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: March 23, 2016, 12:26 PM »
Sadly, 40% on Rotten Tomatoes means I'll be saving my money and waiting for Netflix.  Sounds like it's about on par with what I expected after Man of Steel.  DC/WB really needs to launch Snyder into orbit and retool.  Maybe build up their TV universe and use that to launch some feature films.

I'm one of the last people to stand in defense of this movie, but it doesn't even come out until later this week and critics are rarely kind to scify/action/superhero material.  Maybe give it a few days for some of the genpop reaction to come in.
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #214 on: March 23, 2016, 01:11 PM »
Man of Steel managed 56% positive, and I thought it was terrible.  Reading the reviews so far, it looks like BvS makes many of the same mistakes that bothered me in MoS.  Even the positives have qualifiers.  They talk about "great moments" that make it "worth" sitting through everything else.  I have no desire to sit through 2 hours and 15 minutes of grating garbage for 15 assorted minutes that make me say "Ooooooooo!"

Sure, I'm kinda biased as I was severely disappointed with MoS.  Fool me once...
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: March 23, 2016, 01:57 PM »
Some highlights from various reviews:

As with Man of Steel and The Watchmen (no ludicrous sex scenes in this jam, at least), this movie is relentlessly grim and gritty and resolutely No Fun Whatsoever, every line intoned with Desdemonian gravitas, every falling bullet casing memorialized with its own slow-mo funereal aria. (At one point, the Army fires a big-ass cannon, and that shell also falls to the ground in super-slow motion.)

An even less charitable way to put it is that a clearly excited 7- or 8-year-old kid sitting in front of me busted out crying and had to be whisked out of the theater by his father within the first five minutes....I felt really terrible for that kid immediately, and was mildly envious of him two hours and 25 minutes later.

This sort of nonsense nonetheless qualifies as an early highlight; the most suspenseful part of the first half of this movie was when I was trying to open my giant bag of Reese’s Pieces without detection. (No spoilers.)

Not-Cera as Luthor is getting a bashing in reviews too. This movie should be a win-win either way, if it's good it's good, or it will be one of those amusing trainwrecks.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: March 23, 2016, 02:13 PM »
I thought that Man of Steel was an interesting way to re-launch the Superman franchise.  Especially with the Kryptonian tie-ins.  Had Warners been able to bring Christian Bale and Christopher Nolan fully on board, and able to mesh the Dark Knight storyline into this new DCCU, I think it would have been very cool.

I'm skeptical about relaunching Batman after the Nolan DK trilogy of films.  I think that doing this after the kind of success and acclaim that those films had would put any reboot under the microscope.  Especially in light of what we saw in the 1990's with a succession of three different actors as Batman.  Sorry Ben Affleck, but the screwups of Joel Schumacher, Val Kilmer and George Clooney complete with Bat-nipples are yours to bear as this  character gets rebooted yet again.

As for a dark/grim reality in these films?  I don't know that modern comic genre films always requires that sort of tone.  The first Captain America film and the first couple of Iron Man films didn't really need that sort of atmosphere.  And the advanced pace at which WB is trying to establish a cohesive DC Cinematic Universe?  I think that is very much Warner Brothers trying to keep up in a comic book movie arms race, rather than taking some time to further establish their characters on their own.  Oh, and the DC comics TV show characters don't mesh with this cinematic universe?  Great!!!!!!!!!!

All of that being said, I *KIND OF* want to see the movie, but I don't know if I'm even going to check it out at a matinee.  It's probably going to be on HBO by the summer time.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: March 23, 2016, 02:44 PM »
It definitely seems like reviews have been average at best. We are going this weekend, and I'm looking forward to seeing it, but the reviews I've read seem to highlight some of my biggest fears about this movie and DC's "universe". Top of the list: no fun. Most of the reviews I've seen, while highlighting some high parts, but consistently mention that it isn't "fun". I'll admit that I've grown up a Marvel fan, but enjoy DC as well and want them to make good movies as well, but it just seems like they are so insistent on being "not Marvel" that they actively avoid good ideas.

To me, superhero movies -with few exceptions- should be fun and uplifting. It is escapism after all, and people shouldn't walk out of a Justice League movie feeling depressed. I've also seen it mentioned that when the Trinity does unite in BVS, it is sort of underwhelming because there isn't any history between the characters. Which is why Marvel built their way up to Avengers, Civil War, etc. I feel like DC doesn't want to wait that long so they are pushing it all into one movie. One other thing sort of unrelated to this that irritates me is their decision to not cross over their TV/movie properties. The Flash is probably my favorite show these days and so well done, and i would love to see that version of the character cross over to the movies (not to mention other characters like Arrow, Canary, Atom, etc.) Another example of having a "Marvel did it, so we won't" attitude.

That said, we have tickets for Saturday, and I am looking forward to seeing it. Hopefully my fears are unfounded and it's a great time.

Offline EdSolo

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: March 23, 2016, 03:15 PM »
Some highlights from various reviews:

An even less charitable way to put it is that a clearly excited 7- or 8-year-old kid sitting in front of me busted out crying and had to be whisked out of the theater by his father within the first five minutes....I felt really terrible for that kid immediately, and was mildly envious of him two hours and 25 minutes later.

As my 8 year old wants to see this, I wonder what made this one cry.

I think DC just has gone way too grim and dark with their universe.  I have to wonder if Justice League will be the uplifting one where the superheros come together to save the world.  I have much more interest in Civil War than this movie, especially after Man of Steel.  This has an interesting concept of Batman wondering if Superman is a hero or a potential destroyer, but I feel we have seen the entire movie in trailers.  I also don't like the direction they are going.  Everyone has wanted to see Batman vs. Superman, but now you introduce the oldest Batman to date, with an unknown fate for Robin.  At this point, I would almost prefer a live action version of the old Challenge of the Super Friends with the Legion of Doom.

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: March 23, 2016, 11:08 PM »
Not nearly as bad as I expected. I'll leave it at that for now.
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: March 24, 2016, 11:55 AM »
Posted this in the local MN section, but thought I would share thoughts here as well.  Go see it.

I went into this movie with pretty low expectations. but I liked it. 

The Tone: Yes, it is dark and gray and rainy and serious throughout most of the film. They used slow motion walking or bullet casings falling to the ground to emphasize the seriousness, but it wasn't overdone in my opinion.  It's just more serious than campy - a lot like the Nolan Batman films in that way.  I'm sure they wanted to keep the tone from previous DC movies and differentiate from what Marvel is doing.  But there were 2-3 funny lines in the movie as well that got smiles out of me.

The Characters:  I like the casting for all the heroes.  Had my doubts about Ben, but he pulled off a grim Batman really well.  Gadot's Wonder Woman is awesome and I left wanting to know more about her character.  Eisenberg's Luthor comes off as more of a combination of Lex and The Joker.  I always envisioned Lex as a lot more like Tony Stark - super smart, super rich, super arrogant, super greedy.  He's all that, but also completely mental.  Its cool to find out how he is manipulating things, but feel like there should have been more of a clear motive behind his actions other than just messing with the heroes.  Background characters like Lois, Alfred, Perry, Martha Kent were all great in their supporting roles.

The Storyline: Unlike Nick, I totally bought into why Clark and Bruce find themselves on opposing sides.  Batman sees massive destruction from Superman's battles and is personally impacted by it.  He is worried about anyone having that much power with no checks in place.  He's a vigilante too, but innocents get killed in Superman's battles and he struggles to relate to that. As a reporter, Clark sees how vicious Batman is with the bad guys.  His whole concept is striking fear into people, which is very alien (and wrong) for Supes. Great contrasting between the two philosophies right down to taking time to show Superman in love vs. Batman not even contemplating an heir to the Wayne estate.  They pepper in Wonder Woman really well too - she's a smaller part of the overall story, but not forced in.  It's a long movie (2.5 hours), but almost all of the scenes were worthwhile and contributed to the story.

The Action:
Say whatever you want about all the other aspects of this movie - if you didn't like the fight scenes then you're a soulless hater who should be banned from ever seeing another action film.  Every single fight scene was ridiculously fun.  The Batmobile is kick butt awesome and Bats uses that bat-cable trick like he's Spiderman.  The final brawl at the end is crazy good.  I didn't understand everyone's power set, but they captured the slugfest/light show perfectly from wide shots to the close ups. 

What could have been better:  I really didn't care for Bruce's dream sequences.  I get why they were included, and they were fun to see by themselves, but it really disrupts the flow of the movie.  Lex is just weird as a bad guy.  I would have liked a more polished, less crazy Luthor and more explanation for his motives.  Maybe he's more of a lunatic in the comics - my interpretation of him is more like the Lex from Smallville.  The Justice League setup is a little overdone.  Can't say more without spoiling things, but the setup for another movie was a little more heavy handed than it needed to be.  I would have liked a happier ending too.

Overall, I'd give this movie an 8 out of 10 after expecting about a 5.  I will definitely see it again at some point.  For those that care about the stats, its worth noting that while the Tomatometer is at just 33%, the 124,000 audience ratings have it at 79%.  Don't wait around for the credits - there is no extra footage.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2016, 11:56 AM by JediJman »

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: March 24, 2016, 05:07 PM »
A general disliking of each other based off what Justin said I'd get. The absolute vitriol is too much.

As I've gotten more time to think about this movie I really think I liked it. Not just didn't think it terrible.I'd have laughed in your face if you told me that'd be the case 24 hours ago
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: March 24, 2016, 11:38 PM »
I agree with every single word of what Justin posted. I was coming here to give the same opinions and he beat me to it.

I will add that I think if you go in expecting it to be a 5 (or less) then you will not come out disappointed, because it will exceed your low expectations.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #223 on: March 25, 2016, 05:08 PM »
From the reviews I've read so far, the casting is good...their performances are, for the most part, bad and the story is horrendous.

Trying to jam everything into one movie to try and create a DC cinematic universe ruins the movie.

They need to take the Marvel/Disney approach and build up the DCCU over time...too bad the people in charge don't see that.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: March 25, 2016, 06:28 PM »
By the time DC got their DCCU together, the super hero thing will be over.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours