Author Topic: Official Movie Thread  (Read 351935 times)

Offline JangoTat

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Official Movie Thread
« Reply #675 on: January 29, 2008, 10:51 AM »
Saw Cloverfield yesterday, great idea, great execution. Well worth checking out.

i was really dissapointed in this film. bUT after reading a lot about the small things that are hard to catch on i kinda want to watch it again. woot Slusho...some side effects may cause your stomach to explode in happiness. ::)
School has been on strike all month. so much for the summer job I was hoping to get D:

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #676 on: January 29, 2008, 11:41 AM »
I saw it. I thought it was alright but the only small thing i caught was at the end. Do you have a link to some more hidden stuff?
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #677 on: January 29, 2008, 11:47 AM »
Just got back from TWBB.

This guy is one creepy son of a bitch.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: January 29, 2008, 01:23 PM »
Similar to Gangs of New York?

Great actor. 

Offline JangoTat

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: January 29, 2008, 06:27 PM »
I saw it. I thought it was alright but the only small thing i caught was at the end. Do you have a link to some more hidden stuff?

SPOILERS! DON'T CLICK ON LINKS UNLESS YOUR OK WITH IT.

This link explains Robs new job. although it was not confirmed in this blog j.J abrams ended up saying it was true. also apperently a couple people at the party have some Slusho shirts on to celebrate his new job.
There are also other little blogs on that site with some info. some were posted while the rumors were still spreading though

http://www.cloverfield-movie.com/blog/?p=93

although not the most reliable site this one (at the bottom) has quotes about possible sequals.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloverfield

and then if you stay after the credits the lines "Help us it's still alive is heard in a lot of distortion.

there were other sites too but i cannot find them at the moment.
School has been on strike all month. so much for the summer job I was hoping to get D:

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #680 on: January 29, 2008, 08:32 PM »
I stayed and heard the line after the credits, i will check the links out thanks.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: January 29, 2008, 09:17 PM »
Just got back from TWBB.

So, what did you think of the movie? IT's looked pretty good from commercials/previews, and I'm interested in seeing it, but do you think someone my age would enjoy it? Please share your thoughts, thanks.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #682 on: January 29, 2008, 09:33 PM »
You're sixteen?  I have no idea what people your age enjoy these days, besides text messaging each other about the latest High School Musical movie while they're rolling around on their Heely's tennis shoes during a Hannah Montana concert.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Artoo

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Lucky catch
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: January 30, 2008, 09:53 PM »
I'm surprised Juno is nominated for a Best Picture Oscar, it looks like a fun film. Fun movies never win though.  :-[
KAY-BEE STANDARD RESPONSE:  "All we have is 1990's 'Robocop' toys."
WHICH MEANS:  "Holy ******* ****, please shoot m

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #684 on: January 30, 2008, 11:57 PM »
Just got back from TWBB.

So, what did you think of the movie? IT's looked pretty good from commercials/previews, and I'm interested in seeing it, but do you think someone my age would enjoy it? Please share your thoughts, thanks.

Echoing what Rob said earlier in the thread. If it weren't for "No Country for Old Men" this would have been the best movie I've seen in the last year. DDL was absolutely brilliant. I really liked how dark the film was, figuratively and literally. If this movie is playing anywhere around you, I'd highly advise everyone to go and check it out. It deserves every award nomination it recieved.
"This is the way."

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: February 1, 2008, 09:48 PM »
Just got back from Cloverfield. Exceeded my expectations, was surprisingly pretty scary, and I'm a horror movie buff who doesn't scare easily. The monster looked cooler than I though, and overall it was a decent way to waste a hour and a half.

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: February 1, 2008, 11:03 PM »
I caught Cloverfield on my B-day and thought it was decent.  Not as good as I thought it'd be, but at least it set a new standard for TBWP and Godzilla type movies.  The ticket booth was littered with signage warning viewers about motion sickness.  Blah..

The monster was beautifully scary (when you could see it) and I think they zipped up the ending very well.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline jjks

• Jedi Padawan
  • Belligerent as hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: February 3, 2008, 07:55 AM »
I know I'm going to be in the minority here, but I saw There Will Be Blood last night, and really didn't care for it at all. I went in with really high expectations, but walked out three hours later feeling nothing but disappointment. DDL was fantastic, I have nothing but great things to say about his performance, as was the actor that played Eli/Paul. Typically I like to leave a movie feeling like I got something out of it, and honestly I don't feel like there was anything redeeming about this movie other than the performances of the actors (and I say actors because I'm pretty sure there wasn't a single actress cast in the entire movie, other than the old lady with the arthritis and the little girl that gets beat up for not praying).

I haven't enjoyed anything Radiohead has done in pretty much the last decade, and the score for this movie has done nothing to change my view. I went into the movie rather blindly, not knowing that the guitarist for Radiohead was responsible for the mess I was subjected to during the course of the movie, and I can easily say it's the most distracting score I've ever had to suffer through. All it succeeded in doing for me was drive the final nail in the coffin of how I felt about this movie.

These complaints aside, I did walk out with a new appreciation for milkshakes, and will probably be screaming "Bastard in a Basket" for the foreseeable future. I love non-mainstream movies as much as anyone, but personally don't see how anyone can say this holds a candle to No Country For Old Men, which I thought was absolutely brilliant. Maybe PTA needs Cormac McCarthy to show him how to write a script that makes proper use of an amazing character. Also the fact that Into The Wild was left out of the awards circuit while this wasn't is a travesty in my opinion.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #688 on: February 5, 2008, 06:47 AM »
I can't really disagree with much of the above, except all the Radiohead hate (I thought the score worked just fine).  The subject matter isn't particularly interesting to me, and, outside of Plainview's "son," there isn't one likable or relatable character in the entire picture (which, for a 2 1/2 hour movie, is saying something).

That said, I still think the movie's worth seeing, just for DDL's performance alone.  He's quite fascinating to watch.

These complaints aside, I did walk out with a new appreciation for milkshakes

I tried to make "I drink your. . .  MILKSHAKE!" my GamerTag motto, but it wouldn't fit, so I went with "DRAAAAAAAIIIIINAGE!" instead.  Those last few scenes are really something else.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: February 6, 2008, 09:15 AM »
The more I think about There Will Be Blood, the more I think I watched a Stanley Kubrick movie, which is a good thing.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."