Author Topic: 25th Anniversary Line  (Read 199383 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
G.I. Joe Toys Thread
« Reply #1635 on: November 25, 2008, 05:23 AM »
Damn, that link didn't open...  I have some I'd vote for though, for certain. :)
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Sprry75

• Jedi Apprentice
  • semper ubi sub ubi
    • View Profile
G.I. Joe Toys Thread
« Reply #1636 on: November 25, 2008, 05:31 AM »
"Really?  Sorry."

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
G.I. Joe Toys Thread
« Reply #1637 on: November 25, 2008, 06:13 AM »
Hah...  I agree with just about all those except the Snowcat.  Snowcat was just a bitchin' halftrack, but he makes a good point on guys hanging off the vehicle, plus they're directly behind the rocket's exaust out of the rear.  Dumb picture, but the vehicle was one of the coolest ever I thought, and actually made sense save for perhaps the skipedoes.

Stuff like the Buzz Boar, Trouble Bubble, and Pogo are easily death traps though, and as much as the Fang saw action in cartoons and comics, it was one of the stupidest looking things ever and basically dicked any Cobra chopper guy over compared to the things GI Joe had hanging around.

I liked the HAVOC description. ;D

Oh, and anyone who's actually into military planes knows the Rattler just ain't cuttin' it as an airplane.  Wild Weasel would've had to have flown something remotely speedy, as A-10's are basically slow ugly tanks in the air.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
G.I. Joe Toys Thread
« Reply #1638 on: November 25, 2008, 06:15 AM »
Also...  Did anyone know some of the Joe vehicles are/were real designs?  No, seriously...  The Mauler was, and so was the Vamp, more or less.  They were prototyped 1970's and 80's vehicles for the military as they planned to upgrade.  The Mauler toy is even fairly to-scale compared to its real-world counterpart, believe it or not.  It was 1000x cooler than the Mobat, and actually existed.  :)

Offline Sprry75

• Jedi Apprentice
  • semper ubi sub ubi
    • View Profile
G.I. Joe Toys Thread
« Reply #1639 on: November 25, 2008, 06:22 AM »
I'm equal parts proud and ashamed to admit that between my little brother and me, we had 17 of the 20 (everything except the "Imp," the "R.P.V." and the "Mean Dog").  I wanted the Mean Dog, though....
"Really?  Sorry."

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
G.I. Joe Toys Thread
« Reply #1640 on: November 26, 2008, 12:21 AM »
I think my brother and I had all of those, but some of them were in the waning days of the line...  Like the Bugg my brother had and I don't think he was that into them at the time.

The Hydrofoil wasn't a bad vehicle either.  Not sure I dig it on the list, though the gun shooting the water is funny.

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
G.I. Joe Toys Thread
« Reply #1641 on: November 27, 2008, 07:19 AM »
Wow.  What the hell happend to JD  ???

Anyways, I found the new comic packs at a store I hate yesterday.  I don't even remember hearing about this wave, but I passed on all of them.

Deep Six & Rock n Roll
BA CC & Gung Ho
Iron Grenaider & Viper

Also found sprinklings of w11 at Target - after the sale ends.  Go think.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
G.I. Joe Toys Thread
« Reply #1642 on: November 27, 2008, 04:10 PM »
Scored Trakker, Zartan, and Airborne at Target late last night. Conveniently, after the $5 sale was finished.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
G.I. Joe Toys Thread
« Reply #1643 on: November 27, 2008, 06:17 PM »
Scored Trakker, Zartan, and Airborne at Target late last night. Conveniently, after the $5 sale was finished.

That's excatly what I scored yesterday at Target.   ;)
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
G.I. Joe Toys Thread
« Reply #1644 on: November 27, 2008, 10:10 PM »
Hah...  I agree with just about all those except the Snowcat.  Snowcat was just a bitchin' halftrack, but he makes a good point on guys hanging off the vehicle, plus they're directly behind the rocket's exaust out of the rear.  Dumb picture, but the vehicle was one of the coolest ever I thought, and actually made sense save for perhaps the skipedoes.

Stuff like the Buzz Boar, Trouble Bubble, and Pogo are easily death traps though, and as much as the Fang saw action in cartoons and comics, it was one of the stupidest looking things ever and basically dicked any Cobra chopper guy over compared to the things GI Joe had hanging around.

I liked the HAVOC description. ;D

Oh, and anyone who's actually into military planes knows the Rattler just ain't cuttin' it as an airplane.  Wild Weasel would've had to have flown something remotely speedy, as A-10's are basically slow ugly tanks in the air.

Ok first I have to admit...I had 16 of the 20 and Multiples of several.

The problem with forcing Realism into GI Joe, is that it ruins the "Fun" at least for me.  If I wanted Accurate Military models, I'd collect Britains or Dragon Figures (again).   The current offerings in Joe-scale for "realistic" figures are sporadic at retail at best and they aren't authentic to the time period they attempt to portray.  Five minutes researching would save tons.  Especially in the WWII stuff.

That being said, I do replace some weapons for Marauder John stuff, but that has more to do with proper scale than "Realism".

So Give me a Rattler over a real A-10.  Besides Destro's stuff can't look like something from Nothrup Grumman or Lockheed or General Dynamics or like a MIG etc....

I remember early in my Joe Collecting days in the early 80's seeing a Popular Mechanic's magazine that had pictures of Prototype Military vehicles from across the world, and like JJ said, it had pics of the Vamp, Hovercraft(Whale) and some Vertical Take off stuff.  I kept that article for years, don't know where it is now.

BBTS has processed my Wave 13....so that will be here in a few days.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
G.I. Joe Toys Thread
« Reply #1645 on: November 28, 2008, 05:31 PM »
I had 16 of the 20 and Multiples of several.

My brother and I had them all... 

As a kid I liked a little realism, in that I liked figures like the early versions better than the day-glo crap that rolled out later in the line.  That said, I didn't want total realism either.  In the case of the Rattler, I liked it but not in its cartoon context where it fought the Skystriker and whatnot.  I always thought WW should've had a mig-ish (smaller, like all GIJ stuff) fighter...  The Rattler was cool but more for what its basis' intent as a ground attack plane.

Some stuff I liked more than others...  I liked the Mauler more than the Mobat because the Mobat looked dumb and only had the turret to set a figure.  Mauler beat that by a mile.  I liked some of the goofy Cobra weapons like the Trouble Bubbles and FANG's because they were small, and cheap, and just lined up with what I figured CC would buy (cheapskate).

If I were a kid (or an adult collector hardcore into GIJ stuff) I'm sure I'd be buying and painting some PTE stuff just to give the Joes some updated vehicles.  Same with Marauder Inc. gear...  My brother put in a big order and I piggybacked a couple things, and I love it.  I'd easily replace Flint's shotty with one from Marauder Inc., or any number of weapons really.  Scale, but also the cool factor of modular M4's to replace the GIJ lasers.  I mean, the mini-gun makes a much cooler weapon than Rock N Roll's MG42 on roids. 

Offline Sprry75

• Jedi Apprentice
  • semper ubi sub ubi
    • View Profile
G.I. Joe Toys Thread
« Reply #1646 on: November 28, 2008, 06:14 PM »
Dead on on the Mauler vs. the Mobat.  While scavenging a local Big Lots, I saw there's a new World Peacekeepers tank that's comparable in size and scale, and looks way better than the Mobat in the UBPs.  I don't know half of the detail crap about realism that you guys do though (I know the difference between a shotgun and a machine gun, and that's about it)

And I also liked having Cobra have kind of batshit crazy vehicles (the BUGG?!  WTF?), like Destro was hawking all this weird crap to Cobra Commander. 
"Really?  Sorry."

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
G.I. Joe Toys Thread
« Reply #1647 on: November 28, 2008, 07:02 PM »
The Power Team Elite tank at Big Lots is actually an Abrams like the U.S. uses now, however it's about 20% too small...  BBI made a full 1:18 Abrams and side-by-side it's noticeable.  I think the smaller size fits in good with Joes though, and with a spritz of some paint and maybe replacing the guns on the turret for the commander, it could be pretty darn cool looking with Steeler and some Joes aboard.  Steeler needs some Greenshirts in there helping him or something.

PTE make a variety of Humvees, Littlebird chopper, underscaled Blackhawk, and other vehicles too...  For those curious.  They also have some cool motorcycles (quads, dirtbikes, etc.) that really can give Joes some nice vehicles.  They make a nice inexpensive Fighter Jet and A-10 Warthog (Rattler) as well.

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
G.I. Joe Toys Thread
« Reply #1648 on: November 30, 2008, 08:45 PM »
Anyone have the number for Hasbro Doc?  I don't feel like reading through 10 different threads at Hiss, and I'm still pissed I haven't received any of mine and even more pissed to find out that more people are getting theres that sent off late forms.   >:(

Offline Neal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
G.I. Joe Toys Thread
« Reply #1649 on: December 1, 2008, 09:06 AM »
I picked up a Para Viper at Target yesterday.  The card was smashed to ****, but seeing that I'm an opener, I grabbed it anyway.