Author Topic: Willrow Hood  (Read 399200 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: Willrow Hood
« Reply #315 on: June 21, 2007, 01:15 AM »
Uh, go away...?  Or not...  whatever.  :-\ 

;)
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: June 21, 2007, 09:58 AM »
A little OT, but since they were in the same props article, looks like we might see Praji, Wes Janson, and maybe the Ewok mother and Woklings!! I'm sure a lot of us will want to see those carded alongside ICMG!!

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #317 on: June 23, 2007, 10:20 AM »
What I don't get and I continue not to understand is the absolute angst being shown against Willrow in threads over at the other site.  I realize it is people that haven't been online a while and around the boards since that time.  Willrow truly represents the comraderie that has existed in the old guard of the boards.  Since the Tomart-SSG-CSW days  That is what I see...

I'm sure you'll enjoy this brand new Rebelscum thread, again full of people who registered in '06 and '07 complaining about how Willrow will be "the death of the line" and such:

Willrow Hood

This is in addition to the thread from last month which we've already discussed:

It's official: The Ice Cream Maker Guy from ESB
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #318 on: June 23, 2007, 11:28 AM »
I don't think there's any single figure that can injure the line right now.  I think the volume is so high of product, the variety, that a Willow or Yarna or whoever (Dorme) would go relatively unnoticed by casual collectors.  I think a BP is the best way to go with him personally.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: June 23, 2007, 12:37 PM »
Some interesting comments in that thread, notably about Vos peg warming.  I didn't buy it (Vos comic pack) and it's the last one hanging up here all the time. 

Some annoying comments about Sanjaya though, but I guess if your sole reference point is reality TV, you probably don't really grasp the star wars online community all that well anyway. :-X
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #320 on: June 23, 2007, 01:52 PM »
It really is both interesting and sad, the vitriol from the idiots.  About a potential action figure.  That's at least a year and a half away.

Can you imagine how bad the whining's gonna be when the figure actually ships?  I can, and I don't want to.  Imagine it.  Anymore.  People suck.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: June 23, 2007, 02:05 PM »
Here's my post I made at RS that I think sums up the situation well:

I find it ironic that you guys say Willrow will pegwarm because he has no screen time and the casual buyers won't know who he is.

Yet when all these random Cantina aliens are announced (who have as much or less screen time as Willrow) you guys start wanking it saying how well they will sell, etc.

Well let me tell you that I can still find every Cantina figure from last year in stores.

Personally I'm glad they're making him. Background characters are always welcomed by me, as I'm sick of getting main characters we don't need such as Vader, Tatooine Luke, etc.

So keep thinking that Willrow will kill the line, I'll keep laughing at you guys as I walk into stores and see tons of Vos figures, YOUR most wanted figure of all time according to that fan poll. Why aren't you buying him?

Seriously, it's funny that those losers think Willrow will "kill the line" while the figures that they demand are still sitting here clogging pegs as we type, preventing me from finding new stuff.

Personally I can't wait for Hood and I'll buy several to get signed by OCB, if he doesn't charge to much for an autograph.  :P
« Last Edit: June 23, 2007, 02:06 PM by Diddly »
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #322 on: June 23, 2007, 03:23 PM »
Vos is a great point and should've shut them up, however if there's one thing I've learned about this hobby, it's that the dipshits never concede a point when it's made to them.  Vos is the figure everyone was getting behind for EU, and I was surprised by it honestly.  I always thought there was more demand for other EU guys, but I was clearly wrong in that assumption.

Now, I can't say that Vos is the only comic pack pegwarming, some of the Marvel ones are around me (Luke/R2, and really the others are pegwarming again now too from the Marvel series), but yes Vos/Villie is the most heavily saturated 2-pack in the Pitt area as well...  While Obi/ARC cannot be found for the most part, even after multiple reshipments.

I guess fan opinion basically means jack.  It always has...  We demanded a Duros, we got a Duros, we got a pegwarmer. 

It's like I've always said.  ANY figure can be a pegwarmer, regardless of what kind of character it is.  Hasbro I'm sure are going to be smart with Wilrow Hood distribution to test the waters a bit first. 

And for the love of god, if you haven't been around at least since before 2005, stop speaking as if you're an authority on the hobby already.  Enjoy yourself and soak up some knowledge from people who've been there longer.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Artoo

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Lucky catch
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: June 23, 2007, 03:36 PM »
I have a feeling scalpers will eat the Willrows up, because us ICMG fans want it. Yeah, I'm seeing a crap loads of Vos here in Jax (though that whole wave is warming). I really don't see why people want Yarna instead of some of the cooler Jabba guys. IMO, Yarna will be as bad as Lushros Dofine when she hits.
KAY-BEE STANDARD RESPONSE:  "All we have is 1990's 'Robocop' toys."
WHICH MEANS:  "Holy ******* ****, please shoot m

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #324 on: June 23, 2007, 04:12 PM »
IMO, Yarna will be as bad as Lushros Dofine when she hits.

The same can be said for Willrow or any other character that is only in the back ground. I dont care about willrow but will buy him. The truth is though if someone didnt petition for him i would have never noticed him in the movie and i think that could be a problem. Yarna has somewhat more screen time. She would probably peg warm as well but no more than anyone else.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: June 23, 2007, 04:22 PM »
Jesse makes a GREAT point, nobody can tell who will and will not warm. I just wish they would pull their heads out of their asses for one second to see the irony, but that's Rebelscum for ya.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #326 on: June 23, 2007, 06:24 PM »
It's not even Scum at this point, it's a segment of it...  I looked through that thread and it's filled with basically nobody with a registration date earlier than 2005.  There's only a couple people that registered earlier, the rest are '06, '07, '05...  That speaks volumes I think because they simply don't even realize where the basis for the whole Wilrow Hood thing came from, why it's a good thing, and the **** they say obviously exposes some ignorance towards the hobby in general.  ICMG is as prone to pegwarming as anyone.  White Clonetroopers anyone?  What about Neimoidians?  What about Episode 1 figures?  What about Moff Jerjerrod who everyone claimed was a great choice because he had lines and never had a figure and all?  You make too many and they pegwarm, you make too few and people are paying $25 a piece for them.

And that's not to say folks that registered recently anywhere are ignorant always in the hobby, as I don't like people who are "noobie snobs".  But I'd say a lot of guys in that thread that are doing the really vehemently angry bitch-fest are falling into the bad category.  This figure will not kill the line, just as Duros didn't.  If that was the case, Hasbro wouldn't poll us for what we want...  They'd do the figure choosing 100% themselves with not info from the fans.

I liked the one guy's theory that Quin Lan Vos isn't selling because he "is a crappy figure".  Call me spanky but I thought $10 for two figures that are decently articulated everywhere except their knee joints wasn't too damn bad, especially in this day and age.  Add to that the sheer obscurity of it all.  And both have great sculpts to them too...  They're not bad figures, just perhaps slightly underarticulated.  But they're not selling...  That's not articulation, that's just obscurity + too much too quick.  Pack extra Obi/ARC sets in the same case and less of the Luke/R2 and Vos/Villie, and the problem isn't nearly as bad as we're seeing, that's all.  That was simply a dumb argument on that fellow's part.

And the guy(s) complaining that they'd rather have (Insert random main character super articulated resculpt here), are equally silly.  You honestly believe you won't get that figure at some point?   I love the one guy saying "Well Vos is sold out around me" as well.  Is there this one island in North America where that figure set sells out?   :D  Right buddy...  I say he's lying or he doesn't actually shop to even know.  It's just a trainwreck of a thread to read through and I regret doing so.

People just need to stop whining that someone got something they wanted and that some people actually are happy...  To quote myself (pompous, I know, but it still applies), "Grow the **** up".

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #327 on: June 23, 2007, 07:05 PM »
And the guy(s) complaining that they'd rather have (Insert random main character super articulated resculpt here), are equally silly.  You honestly believe you won't get that figure at some point?

All I know is:  If I never read another post from "DSIILuke" again for the rest of my life, it'll still be too soon.  Good Lord that's an annoying little mofo.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: June 23, 2007, 09:12 PM »
Sounds like the punters pit that the rs forums have become are getting overly dramatic again.  That's nothing new.  I've ceased being surprised about the whining and complaining that happens there.

The reality is that people over there don't have a great grasp on the hobby over there, and they wind up spouting out crap.  And we all know it's crap, but somehow we get mired in the ensuing crapstorm when the initial post is probably not worth commenting on.

So, now for the real question:  will Willrow Hood kill the line?  Of course not.  He'll probably be in a TESB themed wave and packed on the short side.  Because believe it or not, Hasbro has seemingly gotten their acts together on the case assortments.  Case in point?  Wave 1.  People started going ape**** about pegwarming Obi-Wans and R2's from wave 1.  Where did they all go?  I hardly see these figures at all now.  What happened?  They sold through with the people who are more likely to buy the core characters.  How about wave 2 and 3?  I know I've been seeing a fair share of the core characters and the army builders.  The only things that seem scarce are the McQuarrie figures, and that's been done intentionally.  So it seems likely that Willrow Hood will sell through. 

The Quinlan Vos comic pack is another issue, and Hasbro may need to adjust their case ratios going forward on the EU only 2-packs.  But the sets that have movie characters seem to be selling.  I see the Vos 2-pack in the greatest quantities, followed by LUke & R2, and finally by Obi-Wan & Alpha.  But this could also be a clone thing, too.  I guess we'll know for sure when the Commander Keller / Galactic Marine 2-pack comes out.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #329 on: June 29, 2007, 09:47 AM »
Rebelscum (and JD) member "Since1978" gives his take on Willrow:

The only reason he's achieved this level of recognition is due to (1) Decipher's CCG card, (2) Scott Person's petition and backstory, and finally (3) some boards where the mods are major petitioners for Willrow Hood take on a "group think" mentality where forum participants support WH because the mods do, as that's the "cool" thing to do on that board.

Otherwise, he'd be just as much a nobody as the "random" moisture farmers depicted in photos further up in this thread.

Yikes!  Any thoughts on that, Mr. Person?