Author Topic: Galactic Heroes Thread  (Read 352125 times)

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
Re: Playskool Galactic Heroes Thread
« Reply #1065 on: January 13, 2009, 12:58 PM »
So, I stumbled on these things in the isle at Target last night.  Hadn't heard of them before.  The figures are attached to those bases and appear not to have any articulation.  The bases are some type of play-doh stamp.  Each has, I think, a personalized emblem - like for pressing a wax seal.

Also, my target had reset its toy aisles, but a couple sections, including Star Wars, were starkly barren.  I might need to stalk it, as these first GH waves of the year always seem to pull a vanishing act.  Random note: some type of gaming cartoon called Bakugan (from Nelvana) had a humongous shelf allotment, fwiw.

Were those the only 2 style of the Playdoh/GH sets that you saw? How much were they?
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 12:59 PM by GrandMoffNick »
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline The Stolen CCG License

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1066 on: January 13, 2009, 01:29 PM »
Were those the only 2 style of the Playdoh/GH sets that you saw? How much were they?

Yup, just those two.  I want to say they were only $7.99, but I can't swear to it.

I grabbed the Dewback Cinema Scene and the Obi-Wan w/ Jedi Starfighter that actually has the battle droid. 

Wait, that's a thing now?  They're seriously shipping that scene with the battle droid?   Really?

Is it all beige with no rank markings, like the box art? 

grumble grumble grumble grumble grumble grumble grumble grumble grumble grumble grumble grumble grumble grumble grumble grumble grumble grumble grumble grumble grumble grumble grumble grumble grumble grumble grumble grumble grumble grumble grumble grumble grumble grumble grumble grumble grumble grumble grumble grumble grumble grumble grumble grumble grumble grumble grumble grumble grumble grumble grumble grumble grumble grumble grumble grumble

ETA:  Just checked eBay... yup, shipping with the unranked battle droid. 
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 01:53 PM by The Stolen CCG License »

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1067 on: January 13, 2009, 02:39 PM »
Quote from: Star Wars Action News - Hasbro Q&A

8/24/2008 Q&A
SWAN: 
"We noticed on the Galactic Hero Jedi Starfighter set, as is typical with these large sets, along the back of the box are cartoon pictures of the figures/beasts/vehicles included. One of the pictures on this set is of a Battle Droid. Also, on top of the box where it list the names of the figures/beasts/vehicles included are the words Battle Droid. But when the pack was opened, there is no Battle Droid. I know it wasn't just mine that didn't have the droid as none of the boxes on the shelf did, nor is there a designated place for one in the pack. I know how sometimes colors can change from pictures on the box to what the actual product looks like...but this pack is missing a whole figure that is advertised to be included. Should we return this set and wait for a new, complete version to be released? "

Hasbro:
"Sorry for the confusion, the plan was to add a battle droid to the set, but issues prevented it from actually being able to be used for the product.  Since the contents of the set are very clearly seen through the window box, and consumers would be able to see what it comes with when making a purchase, it was deemed acceptable to release the packaging as is.  What you are seeing is a 'first production box' an over-label will be added to the second production batch to eliminate any mention of the battle droid."

1.  Nice.  Thanks, Hasbro.  Sure, we shouldn't expect them to say, "yeah... don't buy this thing we made."  However, they're still usually up front with 3.75 collectors about things like this.  Say, announcing the next batch of Boba Fett's will be coming with the corrected markings, or whatever.  It's not like even 1 in 10,000 Galactic Heroes Jedi Starfighter buyers would have listened to that interminable* SWAN podcast.  Why even have the Q&A if the answers are going to be misleading? 

2.  I remember having the most irritating time getting this answer the first time, as it is buried in the middle of an 8 hour long "live anniversery" podcast.  Glad I went to the trouble. ::)   It wasn't any better finding it this time around, either. 

*Coming from someone who actually listens to SWAN every once in a while

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1068 on: January 24, 2009, 05:26 PM »
Found lots of JSF sets with extra battle droid today.  Would have waited a few months had I known Hasbro was going to toss him back in the set.   ::)
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1069 on: January 26, 2009, 09:26 AM »
Found lots of JSF sets with extra battle droid today.  Would have waited a few months had I known Hasbro was going to toss him back in the set.   ::)

I noticed while Christmas shopping last month that our local TRU had this set with the battle droid as well.  I had already picked up the earlier version awhile back (w/o droid), but its nice to see that they're putting it back in there.  A little better value that way.

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1070 on: January 26, 2009, 10:01 AM »
So, this item was part of the Target Leak that's been on the front page:

Quote from: Target Computer
-  087-06-0635 SW GH Playset Hero Set $39.99

I might as well speculate on it.  GH probably = Galactic Heroes.  Playset probably does not = playset, but = target speak for Cinema Scene.  $39.99 is the Millenium Falcon price point.  Here are three guess:

1.  Millenium Falcon going non-exclusive.  I didn't get the feeling the MF set lit the world on fire (saw LOTS of 'em sitting long after the fact)... but it did seem like another WM disaster as far as being available to the right people in the right places at the right time.

2.  AT-AT.  Hasbro not-denied this possibility all the way through 2008, but who knows what that means.  It would be way awesome, but, and I can't beleive I'm saying this, I'd rather (b/c my kids would MUCH rather) see...

3.  AT-TE.  I think a clunky little AT-TE would absolutely rock for the Heroes, and I could see a good one squeezing down to $39.99. 

I could also see this all being very ridiculous speculation.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 10:03 AM by The Stolen CCG License »

Offline Keonobi

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #1071 on: January 26, 2009, 11:53 AM »
What about a GH Gunship?  That hasn't been done before, would tie in the the TV show and Galactic Heroes primary market, kids.  I cold see the AT-TE as well though.
I am not the Stig

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #1072 on: January 26, 2009, 03:48 PM »
2.  AT-AT.  Hasbro not-denied this possibility all the way through 2008, but who knows what that means.  It would be way awesome, but, and I can't beleive I'm saying this, I'd rather (b/c my kids would MUCH rather) see...

I'm only giving you partial credit for your guess since you tossed out a pile of guesses, but the AT-AT was a good guess... ;)

It looks like 2009 is going to give us an ESB Galactic Heroes AT-AT Walker (with Hoth Speeder Bike too?)!  It's not a shot of the whole box, but you can see the bottom of the box at the top of this picture (from the Canadian Toy Fair images):

click here if the pic doesn't link.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 03:48 PM by Jeff »
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #1073 on: January 27, 2009, 01:34 AM »
From a poster on the POTF2 boards:

Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1074 on: January 27, 2009, 08:57 AM »
Wow, really cool that this is likely on the way this year.  Its funny how much of a comeback the GH line has made after having a brief hiatus after the Playskool days.  This looks like it could be pretty cool though, and I'll definitely be grabbing one.  Thanks for sharing the box front pic Jayson.  Between last year's battle pack and now this GH set, how long will it be before Lucas sticks Hoth speederbikes into the OT? :-X

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #1075 on: January 27, 2009, 09:08 AM »
Thanks for sharing the box front pic Jayson.  Between last year's battle pack and now this GH set, how long will it be before Lucas sticks Hoth speederbikes into the OT? :-X

No problem. As for the bikes in the OT, I think it'd actually be pretty cool to see a swarm of Hoth-modded speeder bike cruising in ahead of the walkers and some getting picked off by the Rebels.
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1076 on: January 27, 2009, 09:39 AM »
 :o  Outstanding!

I wonder if that's a projectile between its front legs,  or maybe like a magnetic target for the snownspeeder hook? 

Offline Keonobi

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #1077 on: January 27, 2009, 09:51 AM »
I looks like one of those 100 lbs power lifters you see at the Olympics :)  This looks really neat.  The speculation is that this is a $40 vehicle, right?
I am not the Stig

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #1078 on: January 27, 2009, 09:57 AM »
I see that the box says, "exclusive AT-AT Driver & Speeder Bike" figure.  I wonder if they will be modding the existing AT-AT driver figure to hold the bike's handles or if the AT-AT Driver pack-in will just be a repaint like the bike?

Either way, it's still cool and I'll still probably buy one for the boys, who will no doubt love it as well.
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1079 on: January 27, 2009, 11:04 AM »
Very cute.  I never really intended to go this far into this line, but stuff like this just keeps sucking me back.  Now I want me some mini AT-STs.   :)
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN