Author Topic: Halo 2  (Read 2511 times)

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Halo 2
« on: November 6, 2004, 06:50 PM »
I've been playing Halo 2 almost non-stop for the past several days, since I was able to snag an early copy, and this has to be the best looking, best gameplay, most addicting video game I've ever seen. These arenas are huge!!

Anybody else planning on grabbing a copy when it comes out?

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
Re: Halo 2
« Reply #1 on: November 6, 2004, 11:57 PM »
I've had it preordered since June.

How the heck did you get it so early?
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 7, 2004, 11:14 AM »
I actually have it preordered at EB myself - I preordered on 8/12/03!! And I'm still going to go and pick it up, since they are going to be holding the Deluxe Version for me. 

But somehow my store got a case in on 11/2, and I just couldn't wait the extra week. Oddest thing is, that was the same day we first got in GTA:San Andreas - more than a week AFTER it was released  ::)

Our game distributor sucks ass big time, but I can't complain about this one  :D

SilverZ

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2004, 11:46 PM »
OK, I picked it up yesterday. Played it for a little while, not very long, but it didn't instantly "pop" with me as being the end-all-be-all or the second coming that everyone makes it out to be.

Can anyone articulate what they find compelling with Halo 2 over other console FPS games, like Metroid, or any of the others? Is it the online play? Vehicles? Story? Specific gameplay?

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2004, 02:17 AM »
I've messed with a copy of it...

The thing about Halo is that, it is not, nor never shall be, anything more than a good FPS game.  HALO2 breaks no new ground, HALO1 broke no new ground.  The graphics weren't earth shattering, the gameplay was no more astounding than any other FPS at the time, and the story/setting (alien invasion, etc.) wasn't the most original either.

You're right Jared, HALO is NOT anything special...

I've seen threads at Scum touting it as the 2nd coming of Christ.  People talking about waiting  to get a copy as if they were waiting to see the latest Star Wars film.

HALO's ok.  It's a good starter game to a system.  A good "Look what we got and you don't", kinda thing, but it's not breaking any new ground or setting any new bars.

In 100% honesty, I've played 3 better FPS's since I played HALO1.  Call of Duty, off the top of my head, is/was far superior, as was Medal of Honor (COD's competition).  Maybe I'm biased because I found their setting better, but I found the gameplay better too.

I have an X-Box, I'll rent HALO 2 and decide if it's worth my buying it right now, but in the end, if they haven't advanced some of the gameplay I'm just not gonna jump up and down like a madman over this game like some are doing at Rebelscum.

X-Box live is HALO's only saving grace, and as far as I'm concerned I'll never pay XBL's fees just to play online, so that kills that aspect of it for me...  Even then, every other FPS practically can be played online for free in most cases.  I have very little trouble playing online at my PC, I'm quite comfy at my PC (and usually have the TV running at the same time), since I usually work at it and wanna be comfy, and I just don't see the appeal of paying just so I can play at my TV.

I got an X-Box because I like some of the games on it...  Same reason I have a Gamecube.  Till online's either REALLY cheap or free for consoles, I'm not buyin' into that reeming fee they tack on.

COD's, at this point, not beatable by HALO, and I'll be surprised if HALO2 wow's me past it.  Hell, I liked playing Jedi Academy more, and it was mediocre for a SW FPS I thought.

To each their own though.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

SilverZ

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2004, 06:15 PM »
Thanks for that Jesse. I'm glad I'm not alone in that thought, since I've been spending a LOT of time in the last couple weeks getting refreshed and current on FPS games, mostly on PC. Funny you mention COD, actually. Have you been playing United Offensive?

I bumped my vidcard up to a Radeon X800 256 and have been playing through Doom 3, Men of Valor, COD:UO and a few older titles. Since I've always been a console guy, returning to the Xbox with Halo2 really startled me as to how far ahead hardware has leaped on PC, and how dated the Xbox hardware is now. Halo just doesn't come close.

I know I need to give it more time, but Halo, since it's not visually the stunner anymore because of hardware limitations, has to stand entirely on gameplay. I just don't see what it's pushing there to warrant the reviews its getting, or its hype. I honestly (and this isn't a hostile anti-Halo question) would like to hear more about what people are getting out of Halo they aren't getting out of other console FPS games.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2004, 08:59 PM »
No problem...  I think there's more out there that sympathize with you than you know, it's just that the vocalness of the pro-HALO group is immense.

I like HALO, don't get me wrong.  It's a good game. 

The thing is, it's not great.  The original wasn't great, and beyond the vehicle combat didn't have any "great" revolutionary aspect.  HALO2, really for all intents and purposes, doesn't improve on HALO1 very much at all so I'm not impressed again.

I'm thinking HALO2 will be a fun game to play...  That if you have some buddies together, or XBLive, that it'll be fun to play, but in the end it's NOT "special".

-Thief took FPS games to a new level by inventing the style of gameplay where stealth outlasts "Run & Gun" gamers.

-DOOM took FPS from the darkages and gave a new, refreshing story and gameplay features, as well as set the bar for "shocking" effects.

-Wolfenstein was the birthplace of FPS gaming.

-Ultima Underworld opened up the idea of RPG's and FPS's becoming one in the same.

-Dark Forces was the revolutionary new FPS of its time that improved on all the previous engines with new features and gameplay aspects, improved graphics, and set it all in a galaxy far far away.

-Goldeneye took Console FPS's and put them on the map as games that COULD be played on a console and be just as enjoyable as on a PC.

-Jedi Knight gave FPS gaming a new feature through using the force and sabers, and because of its setting (along with a great story, graphics, and engine for its time), it became legendary.

-Medal of Honor took FPS gaming to a new level of realism, practically recreating the opening footage of Saving Private Ryan and making it playable.... 

-Call of Duty built on MOH's popularity through improved graphics, improved AI, improved gameplay features and realism.

And I'm definitely missing games here, like the Rainbow Six or Ghost Recon series that set the bar for tactical FPS games and realism, Half Life series, etc...

The fact of the matter is that HALO is just in the middle amongst all those games.  It is a good "anchor" game for the X-Box, and it's fun...  It's graphics show the XB's potential generally, but will never compete with the PC and its ever evolving graphics abilities.  HALO2 is much the same, and didn't innovate the original HALO much at all.  It'll just be a prettier, and maybe slightly "new" experience for most.

And to that end, nobody can convince me that HALO is "great".  It's just "good", like so many FPS's before it and so many to come after.  It'll be fun, I'll likely pick up HALO2 after the initial geekdome subsides on it, but I'm not gonna wet my pants like (one in particular at Scum) some folks are acting like.  I'll get it, have fun, beat it, and likely not bother with it after I find something its equal or better.

I have an XB, I like my XB, and I'm feeling like I made a good deal by getting it for the price I paid, but HALO just isn't as good as certain people claim.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2004, 02:56 PM »
Halo 2 is "Meh" at best. It's just the same storyline as the first (run around, shoot aliens, watch a cutscene, do it over again), the weapons you hold take up half of the screen, and it has a lame "cliffhanger" ending that I guess sets up Halo 3. I don't understand why people love this game so much. It isn't that great. I think San Andreas is much better.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Joe

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2005, 07:07 PM »
o.k.     This is urgent!I just put my halo 2 in my 360 and when I make a new halo profile it says either "don't sing in to xbox live. or regester new xbox live account.

Why can't I get my old one?Should I buy a memory card save everything from halo 2 on my old x-box and then put the card in my 360!

HELP I miss Halo 2
Cheers!

- Joe

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2005, 07:31 PM »
Xbox 1 memory cards don't fit in the 360.

Offline Joe

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2005, 07:39 PM »
o    So I can't play halo2 online NOOOOOOO!
Cheers!

- Joe

Offline Gregorbian

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I gotta get to Buckethead's Toy Store!
    • View Profile
    • Gregorbian's Photobucket
« Reply #11 on: January 2, 2006, 10:31 PM »
I would call the Microsoft Tech Support hotline, they've been good to me whenever I've had a problem.  You might need to set up your X-Box Live account before you insert your Halo 2 game.

As for Halo 2 the game, I absolutely love it.  I enjoy the story and co-op mode.  The best part of the game is the multi-player, I play it for several hours every weekend with my girlfriend.  Halo 2 is so good that I have been unable to really play any other video game since it came out.  I'd always rather be playing Halo 2  ;)
The scariest thing that I've ever seen,
Is the terrible AT-AT walking machine.
It's as big as a house on walking legs,
and whatever it steps on it crushes like eggs.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 6, 2006, 11:27 PM »
I got the Halo tripple pack for Christmas and finished both games before the start of the year. Loved them both. I don't have xbox live yet, but, I play live  at my buddies. Online gaming is a blast.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Nirvana

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2006, 05:04 PM »
I simply love Halo for its multiplayer and how the Spartans look so bad-ass. If anyone wants a good read and to have new respect for Halo, read its novels. Top-notch.

Halo parties have become the commonplace thing for me and my friends. They're so much fun.

Halo was my first ever game and I was almost as physced for Halo 2 as I was for AotC or RotS.
My whole expanse...I cannot see...