Author Topic: Imperials=Nazis,Rebels=?  (Read 3058 times)

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Imperials=Nazis,Rebels=?
« on: December 7, 2003, 02:56 PM »
Ok,we all get the Nazi undertones in the Imperials,but what I wonder do the rebels represent?
- June 22, 2004 12:13 AM -

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: Imperials=Nazis,Rebels=?
« Reply #1 on: December 7, 2003, 08:49 PM »
As far as I know, there's not much earth-linked representation specifically for the Rebels.  Their pilots uniforms are a mix-match of real-life flight gear with sci-fi additions.

The uniforms, as far as I know, were to represent a less well backed group financially...  Thus the non-matching RFT uniform's...  There was also an implied "age gap" in Rebel soldiers as well, with some being noticeably old while others were extremely young.  A "hodge podge" military force of sorts.  

Rebel forces have been said to represent most any rebelling/smaller military force from Earth's history though.  From French resistance or Viet Cong, to Continental Soldiers of the American Revolution.  There's a uniform quality there, but obviously there's militias and multiple "allies" mixed in there too.  

Like at the Home One briefing, it looks like a pre-D-Day invasion staff meeting.  Tibrian militia, Dresellian Militia, Mon-Calamari Navy, Alliance (Main military force) Fleet and Spec. Forces personnel...  

There's the main military represented there (The Alliance personnel like the commandos, Spec. Ops officers, and arguably the Mon Calamari whose uniforms may be Alliance-standard rather than Mon Cal specific), as well as the local militia representatives of 2 species who are there for some reason (Tibrians maybe have a small fleet or sent fighters?  Dressellians went to Endor).  So, it could be compared to situations in WW2 between the allies, or a meeting of Continenal army/militia prior to a battle with the British.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 7, 2003, 10:25 PM »
Makes sense.When I make Rebel customs I do make differnt militias thanks in no small part to your posts. ;)
- June 22, 2004 12:13 AM -

Offline P'dubs

• Jedi Initiate
  • Bow to the might that is the Sith.............
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2004, 10:25 AM »
Rebels= Jewish people? I really have no clue.

I guess they would represent the countries that fought back against Nazi reign.
"They were all around me and they kept on saying "Utini Utini"."

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2004, 09:33 PM »
I don't think the Rebels would be the Jews per se, but you can't kind of see in the EU stuff how the Imperials believed all non-humans to be lower lifeforms and only good for slave labor or extermination so there may be a correlation for the jews there.

I think if you are going to force the rebels into one particular group, I have seen arguments before like Jesse has said, that they closely resemble the American Civil War Rebels (Confederacy).  A mix match of militias, wearing uniforms unique to their homeland(world) but all part of the same military.

I think you can also view a little bit of them in various armies throughout history (and even some SINCE the movies came out).

I see traits of the Maquis (the organized French Resistance of WWII), American Revolutionary Minutemen, The Afghans that fought the Russians, the Viet Cong, The Highlanders of William Wallace and Robert the Bruce, the German Tribes that beat the Romans.

It is basically an unconventional force, using outdated weapons (until they are able to procure newer ones) that strikes from hidden locations with Charismatic Leadership.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2004, 11:34 PM »
I'd liken the Rebels to the U.S. forces of the Revolution before any other military force, and the Empire closer to the British Empire of the same era.

The British employed the multiple frontline militaries we saw just like in the movies...  The "marines" or Naval troopers...  The Army Troopers...  The more often used Army Troopers (Stormtroopers), etc...

The Americans had a mix-match of militias from various states and territories...  guerilla fighters...  And then they had the main fighting body, the Continental Army.  The Alliance employs similar groups...  Militias like the Dresellian Commandoes, Guerillas like any beseiged planets rebelling populace if their world is subjucated (Militias and Guerillas wouldn't vary too much really, and could be considered synonymous).  And lastly the Alliance employs a "Fleet" force, or their Continental Army...  Their main fighting body, their main chain of command, their main political body...  All the varied groups then make up the "Alliance" as it were.  They could anything from a Wookie Militia on Kashyyyk, to a small organized pocket of saboteurs/"terrorists" on Coruscant, to a full fleet under the command of a "Fleet Admiral" who answers directly to Admiral Ackbar, or a sector officer possibly.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline jkno

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2004, 03:30 AM »
rebels= partizans?

Offline Vote for Chewbacca the Wookiee

• Youngling
  • If you haven't seen me before, I'm new to you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 5, 2004, 01:16 AM »
I was thinking the Confedracy as well (CSA, not Confederacy of Independent Systems ;)  ).
Doesn't Jan Dodonna look a little like Robert E. Lee, especially with the duster on?
"The truths we cling to depend greatly on our pwn point of view." - Ben Kenobi
Appearing for the first time anywhere outside of Rebelscum, Chewbacca the...