Author Topic: 2021 HasLab - Black Series Rancor  (Read 14564 times)

Online GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
Re: 2021 HasLab Black Series Rancor
« Reply #30 on: November 5, 2021, 11:39 AM »
Excellent first unlock. I'm no closer to caving.
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline StBrianOfMinneapolis

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Biggs was right!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 5, 2021, 12:31 PM »
Fan First Friday reveals....

- A look at the very first "work-in-progress" hardcopy/model
- Announced Unlock #1 - 6" Gamorrean Guard on POTF card w/appropriately scaled-coin

Wow.  A repack on a new card with a coin.   They're really going all out to pull us in.   ::)

It looks like an easy $100 sale to me. If I do buy this for my TVC collection it will make it an easier decision if I can unload a bunch of TBS extras.
Macklunkey!

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #32 on: November 5, 2021, 12:48 PM »
Wow.  A repack on a new card with a coin.   They're really going all out to pull us in.   ::)

I mean, I guess it's fine for a first unlock.  Nice for those backing that are new to 6" line and don't have one.  Different presentation for those that do already have one.  Frustrating for the packaging variant collectors... which will be nice for folks like Brian apparently willing to sell them. ;)

edit:
Hasbro PR photo for the carded Gamorrean -

« Last Edit: November 5, 2021, 04:35 PM by Jeff »
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline StBrianOfMinneapolis

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Biggs was right!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 5, 2021, 04:00 PM »
After rewatching the video it's pretty clear this rancor would choke to death on a TBS gammorean.
Macklunkey!

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #34 on: November 5, 2021, 04:35 PM »
After rewatching the video it's pretty clear this rancor would choke to death on a TBS gammorean.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 6, 2021, 01:30 PM »
Totally expected this and the second tier will almost certainly be a repackaged Jedi Luke. Oola and Malakili were always pipe dreams IMO. By comparison, we got two all new figures for both the Sentinel and Galactus. It’s pretty clear which line is getting all the love…
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 6, 2021, 02:18 PM »
Yeah I imagined we'd get a Gammorrean with this, but I grabbed a bunch on clearance a few years ago, so it's not too exciting. It is enticing because I could probably sell it for $100 and make some of the money back.

Makes me wonder if they're planning a POTF line in Black Series? Otherwise this feels out of place with the other vintage card figures.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #37 on: November 15, 2021, 12:29 PM »
Unlock #2 Revealed - 13.5k = movie-inspired bone accessories and a world-building backdrop

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 15, 2021, 03:04 PM »
Only slightly more interesting than a repacked Gammorean Guard, but they're still not tempting me to throw my cash at this.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 15, 2021, 09:45 PM »
I actually already have a nice Gammy skull from those archaeological sets they released a few years ago, but these are fine. I don’t see them as a big incentive to order though. They are still nowhere near the value of the stuff they bundled with the Sentinel or Galactus.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 15, 2021, 11:36 PM »
Same thoughts here. I would expect this kind of stuff as like a Tier 4 “holy cow we didn’t expect to get this far” offering. Like, it’s a really nice set of accessories. But the Marvel crowdfunds both got new figures in their reveals, and I guess I’m let down because that was my expectation.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #41 on: November 16, 2021, 09:31 AM »
They are still nowhere near the value of the stuff they bundled with the Sentinel or Galactus.

But the Marvel crowdfunds both got new figures in their reveals, and I guess I’m let down because that was my expectation.

The fact that 6" Oola or 6" Malakili aren't the obvious Tier 1/2 unlocks is really weird.  I think they might have just been over-thinking the whole thing when they tried to compare it to the Sail Barge, which had a carded POTF figure pack-in. 

I guess 6" Oola might be "problematic" in this day and age if the 'no more jabba prisoner Leia' stuff is true.  And maybe they think Malakili stands on his own for a 2023 basic release for the 40th of ROTJ.  But including them here, getting the tooling done and then double-dipping them into the basic line releases in the future for those not into the Haslab seems like the way I would have gone.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 16, 2021, 09:50 AM »
Some people on social media have observed that the number of backers since yesterday's announcement has actually gone down slightly.  Theories about that include possible declined credit cards.  But is it possible that some people might have actually canceled their order?

I have not backed the Rancor yet.  More and more I am feeling like Hasbro needs to deliver the previous Star Wars Haslab item before I'm going to order the next one.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 16, 2021, 09:58 AM »
I get the feeling that Patrick and crew wouldn't want to put an all new 6" figure as a pack-in, and that any all new figure would be released on its own.  They seem too money focused and I think they think that they'd be giving away too much value that they could make through normal retail.  Personally I'd find a general release Malakili figure a little boring with all the other options they've got, and this seems like the perfect place for an exclusive pack-in.

It'll be interesting to see how actively the Rancor gets backed and if they pull out a few stops at the end if its not looking good, or if they just let it fail.

Is Cookie Monster the only thing that hasn't been funded?  I believe everything else has been funded by a pretty wide margin.

Online GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 16, 2021, 10:16 AM »
What Nick said. My brain can't wrap itself around funding this Haslab when I haven't received the last one yet.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2021, 10:17 AM by GrandMoffNick »
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within