Author Topic: VH1.com's I Love Toys.  (Read 13659 times)

Offline Madcow

• Jedi Padawan
  • Isn't the Wokling cute? LOOK AT IT! LOOK AT IT!
    • View Profile
Re: VH1.com's I Love Toys.
« Reply #15 on: March 7, 2006, 11:42 AM »
Has anyone been watching this yet?  It started last night, with numbers 100-81, and continues through Friday (9 CST).  I'm curious to see where Star Wars figures land, I would hope in the top 10, but you never know.

I was waiting impatiently for this all day yesterday. Such a great show. 81-100 were kinda lame toys but I guess that's why they put them at the end of the list, lol. I also really liked the little added skits they did like "A Day in the life of Cobra Commander", funny sh!t. Can't wait to watch tonight...

Offline Lady Jaye

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 7, 2006, 05:39 PM »
According to Han 506, these are the top ten!!  Posted below, so don't scroll down if you want to watch the show!! ;)

100 Greatest Toys #'s 20-1
1. Hula Hoop
2. Barbie
3. LEGO
4. G.I. Joe
5. Mr. Potato
6. Monopoly
7. Star Wars Figure
8. Yo-Yo
9. Slinky
10. Wiffle Ball & Bat
11. Play Doh
12. Radio Flyer
13. Snoopy Sno Cone Machine
14. Bike
15. Match Box/Hot Wheels
16. Etch-A-Sketch
17. Rock'em Sock'em
18. Scrabble
19. Easy Bake Oven
20. ATARI

While I agree with pretty much most of them, the number one spot looks questionable to me!! I mean Hula Hoop?? Does anyone acually play with those anymore, I know they barely did when i was a kid!!  Barbie so deserves the tops spot, the number 1 girls toy since it's inception, I think!! I wonder though is that GI JOE in general or 12 inch or 3 inch?? Oh and the NES should have beat out the Atari!!
"I off one fat Angelino and you throw a hissy fit."
-Vincent

Offline dafoo

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 7, 2006, 06:21 PM »
Hoola Hoops were all the rage for like a decade.  It had a lot of impact back then, so I can see that winning.
who Learned you To spoke!

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 7, 2006, 07:12 PM »
You had to be born in the 60's/early 70's to appreciate this list. Atari was first-competitors were intellivision and colecovision-the competitors seem to have better graphics but had way less game inventory. Nintendo wasn't available for a long time later ::). Atari is appropriately placed. I agree with the hula hoop-I'll bet the Canadian 'Old Man' could elaborate. I remember girls taking them to school, on the bus, to the bus stop ect.

Personally, I think SW toys should have been placed ahead of GI Joe, but Joe's been around alot longer and unlike Atari VS nintendo has survived the competition for the remaining decades.   

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #19 on: March 8, 2006, 03:22 AM »
If I hear anything about He-Man being gay when MOTU comes up on the countdown, I will completely boycott VH1 forevermore. (Which isn't as hard as one thinks, since they don't have anything worth watching...)

Yeah, we can see that he runs around in furry underwear. Can we think of something else to say?
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 8, 2006, 07:37 AM »

100 Greatest Toys #'s 20-1
1. Hula Hoop
2. Barbie
3. LEGO

Purple is a horrid color.

I mean Hula Hoop?? Does anyone acually play with those anymore, I know they barely did when i was a kid!!

Just saw a little girl the other night playing with one, so yes, kids still do play with them.  Just because they're beneath you, doesn't mean others feel the same way.  They're cheap, actually involves some skill and gets kids out of the house, so I have no problem with Hula Hoops being #1.

Oh and the NES should have beat out the Atari!!

Stop looking through your rose colored glasses.  Atari came first and without it, there would be no Nintendo.  Nintendo just improved on the concept, but Atari started the concept.
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Madcow

• Jedi Padawan
  • Isn't the Wokling cute? LOOK AT IT! LOOK AT IT!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 8, 2006, 10:35 AM »
You had to be born in the 60's/early 70's to appreciate this list.

I highly disagree with that. I was born in 1978 and I remember most of these toys from my youth. They've been doing alot of 80's toys on the list. If you were born in the late 60's it would've been outta your age range. By that calculation, you'd be playing with Mego Super Heroes and i'm curious if those are even going to be on the list...

I think Atari is right where is should be. It really paved the way for the Video Games today. Nintendo helped the advancement tremndously but without Atari who knows where we would be today???

GI Joe was the first "Action Figure" so it deserves it's spot in the top 10. Like the Atari/Nintendo debate I don't think SW toys would have been what they were without GI Joe...

Offline Lady Jaye

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 8, 2006, 12:00 PM »
You had to be born in the 60's/early 70's to appreciate this list. Atari was first-competitors were intellivision and colecovision-the competitors seem to have better graphics but had way less game inventory. Nintendo wasn't available for a long time later ::).

Well I think if it wasn't for Pong, and his inventor, none of it would be available!! But besides that, if it wasn't for Nintendo in 1985, only two years, not your supposed "long time later",  Atari crashed the home video game market, we wouldn't have the home market the way it is today!!

Sure Atari was first, I had one, it was one of my favorite things at the time. However, it was Atari who helped bring about the demise of the home gaming market in 1983. They were the ones who allowed any lil ol company to design games for their system. It was their lack of standards that ended up flooding the market with schlock games that gave both its systems.

Now had Nintendo, and in small part Sega, not come in in 1985 with their systems, then we woudn't have what we have today! It was Nintendo and their NES that set the standards that we still see to this day!

First off, not anyone could make games for their system! I don't know what exactly the standards they set entailed for third party companies to make games for their system, but it allowed for greater control of the home gaming market! Sure companies like Tengen would make games, but not until the very end of the NES' lifespan did they ever get one of their games to receive the Nintendo Seal of Approval.

The Seal of Approval also allowed for a uniformity among games. If you remember the Atari, the cartridges that 3rd party companies came out with were out there. Not one company had the same design. Look at ColecoVision, Intellivision, Imagic, Activision, Parker Bros, Data East, they all had different looking cartridges. It may not mean much to the gamers, but to Nintendo, it helped build a standard! When you looked at a cartridge, you know what system that game goes to!!

Now as I said before Atari did nothing to prevent the saturation of the market with games!! Aside from the many different companies, coming out with games, too games were being released by just one name. Nintendo created strict regulations that allowed a software company to make only 5 games per year, that was it! It was the kind of decision that was needed to prevent what happened, only two years earlier, to occur again!

What software companies did was to create subsidary companies!! For example, Ultra Games was a subsidary of Konami!! Which is why if you look, the first Metal Gear was uner the Ultra label!!

It is because of this and so many other reasons, why IMHO, the NES should be in a higher spot than Atari!! Mikey D, I think you need to step back and see if you are just arguing a point because it's me making it, or do you truly believe what you're saying! It's no rose colored glasses I look through, maybe you ought to put down yours!!

Oh and just because you see one lil girl playing a Hula Hoop, that doesn't invalidate my statement!! I still say Barbie being the number 1 girls toy since I think it's inception should be listed as number 1 on vh1 's list!! It's not a preference either, I was never too much into Barbie, I had some, but it's what I believe to be closer to reality that the Hula Hoop being number 1. I mean Hula Hoop was the rage for a decade like someone said, but Barbie has been the rage for decades! Emphasis on the plural!! That's one to grow on Mikey D.
« Last Edit: March 8, 2006, 12:20 PM by Lady Jaye »
-Vincent

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 8, 2006, 12:03 PM »
You had to be born in the 60's/early 70's to appreciate this list.

I highly disagree with that. I was born in 1978 and I remember most of these toys from my youth. They've been doing alot of 80's toys on the list. If you were born in the late 60's it would've been outta your age range. By that calculation, you'd be playing with Mego Super Heroes and i'm curious if those are even going to be on the list...

How much you know about these toys on the list and how long folks have been playing with them...

yoyo-                 500BC
bike-                   ?
radio flyer         -1917
Lego                 -1934
monopoly         -1935
slinky                -1945
scrabble            -1949
Mr. potato head-1952
wiffle ball & bat -1953
Matchbox cars   -1953
play doh           -1956
hula hoop         -1958
barbie               -1959
etch a sketch    -1960
easy bake oven-1963
Gi Joe                -1964
rock 'em sock... -1967
hot wheels       -1968
Atari                 -1977
Sw toys            -1977-78
Snoopy snow   -1979
cone machine

You remember alot of these toys because they've been in production since before you were born ::). how many 80's developments are on here? since there IS a lot of 60-70's first production runs on here I can appreciate it-I think it goes to show that the toys that won on this program have withstood the test of time.

I don't even know what a mega-super hero is? In my youth I loved HW's, matchbox, SW,monoploy,lego and my aquaman underoos thank you.

Offline Lady Jaye

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 8, 2006, 12:29 PM »
GI Joe was the first "Action Figure" so it deserves it's spot in the top 10. Like the Atari/Nintendo debate I don't think SW toys would have been what they were without GI Joe...

Well GI JOE was the first action doll, it was Kenner President at the time that changed and revoltionized the market, by holding up his fingers and saying "how about this wide" ;) Sure there were a few other lines, but it was the uber popularity of Star Wars that changes the market throughout the 80's!! ;D
-Vincent

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 8, 2006, 12:53 PM »
Well I think if it wasn't for Pong, and his inventor, none of it would be available!! But besides that, if it wasn't for Nintendo in 1985, only two years, not your supposed "long time later",  Atari crashed the home video game market, we wouldn't have the home market the way it is today!!

Atari public released - 1977=long time earlier
While I will a agree that Nintendo made the video game industry 'better' they certainly didn't revolutionize the toy industry by creating the first home entertianment(video game) system(see Atari). Nintendo's play on the matter was only a very successful/parasitical improvement. This is why the root gets rated higher. Nintendo corp and Sega would have never been created if they hadn't seen Atari's success. Not only this but Atari paralleled with VHs companies helped revolutionize the home entertainment center furniture that we see today in our homes.

Pong was a good idea but was initially only an arcade game not a home video game system-when it did become that it wasn't a mass multi-game platform either-with different vendors making games for 1 system.

« Last Edit: March 8, 2006, 01:24 PM by Darth Slothus »

Offline Lady Jaye

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 8, 2006, 01:14 PM »
Oh I wholeheartedly agree that the Atari created the first craze, I was a part of that craze!! Got mine I think for X-Mas 81 or 80??? You're right it was they who started the first home system craze, I don't deny that!! I just think that Nintendo created the second and ongoing craze!! They didn't lead to the downfall of the market like Atari did! That's really why I think the NES deserves the top spot!!

I think the current home gaming system phase went from NES, Genesis, SNES, Playstation, PS2, X-Box. I left out many a system, I just put in the ones I think left or are leaving a mark!!  I left out the Sega CD, N64, Atari Jaguar, Dreamcast, and the Gamecube.

Oh and I happen to think NES was the first system to be multigenerational!! I think it was the most popular system ever, I don't have the numbers, but I want to say 1 out of every 2 or so households had one!! It was a great time to be a kid!! ;D Atari I don't think reached the masses quite like the NES and Nintendo did!!

Oh and while I do sing the praises of the NES, I think they were replaced by the Playstation!! IMHO, the Playstation became the NES of the 90's!!
-Vincent

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 8, 2006, 01:29 PM »
if  -atari(never was created)..then where's nintendo?

Atari -nintendo..atari's still there then. without atari, nintendo or any of the other sytems would have never existed despite their successes which is why their logically placed ahead :-*

Offline Lady Jaye

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 8, 2006, 01:59 PM »
I love you too :-*

But even if there was no Atari, there was still the Colecovision, the Intellivision, and the Sears Home System ;D Yeah, I know it was the Atari sans the Atari name!! But you know there were other systems out there!!

Hey I've admitted that the Atari was first, and created a craze, but at least can you concede that they were the ones to blame for the craze to inplode on itself!!

You have got to give it to Nintendo, they revived a two year old dead market, had they not, we wouldn't have anything right resembling what we have!! Come on, you can't deny that!! If you do, then you are just too loyal to Atari!! ;D
« Last Edit: March 8, 2006, 02:01 PM by Lady Jaye »
-Vincent

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 8, 2006, 02:08 PM »
You had to be born in the 60's/early 70's to appreciate this list. Atari was first-competitors were intellivision and colecovision-the competitors seem to have better graphics but had way less game inventory. Nintendo wasn't available for a long time later ::). Atari is appropriately placed. I agree with the hula hoop-I'll bet the Canadian 'Old Man' could elaborate. I remember girls taking them to school, on the bus, to the bus stop ect.

Personally, I think SW toys should have been placed ahead of GI Joe, but Joe's been around alot longer and unlike Atari VS nintendo has survived the competition for the remaining decades.   

You mean Dale?  

Some of the list is geared to older generations, but much of it is geared towards considerably younger folks as well.  

Some comments:
GI Joe was extremely popular through the 60s and 70s in the 12" scale and remained popular with the switch to the smaller line as well, on to this day.  If you don't discern between scales or the focus (military or cartoon), then I'd suggest a near-50 year popularity is deserving of the position it achieved.  Star Wars, while we all love it, is a more recent phenomenon and until the prequels I don't think it was as hugely popular as GI Joe has been for a long time.  Yes, it was popular during the initial run of toys, no doubt about it, but GI Joe probably matched it dollar for dollar, outside of movie years.  

How can Hot Wheels not even appear on the list?  Jokes about hot wheels collectors aside you take a quality product that has sold extremely well for nearly 40 years, is still an affordable toy that in various incarnations dominates the boy's toy market and it's not even on the list?  Huh?  

Barbie certainly merits the position it holds.  I'm sure most of you don't ever go near that section in TRU, but I have a five year old daughter and I can tell you this, Barbie kicks Star Wars ass all over the place in terms of $$.  But the notion of them taking up an entire aisle at TRU is a relatively new phenomenon.  It's also a fairly high price point toy, or at least it was.  The old 12" GI Joe's and Barbie's were popular, but they tended to be more of a middle to upper class toy.  Not every kid had a 12 GI Joe when I was growing up, not by a long shot.  It was the "rich" kids that did.  Forgive me for saying, but society has changed dramatically from what priorities were to what they are now.  Gratification must be immediate these days at the expense of rather substantial and sometimes crushing debt.  It used to be embarrassing to carry lots of debt beyond your mortgage (and possibly car payment), now it's the norm.  I don't have a reference for it, but I believe the average credit card debt in the US now tops $10,000.  Toys, microwaves, huge color tv's, home theater systems are considered necessities (erroneously) these days.  I've seen television interviews with welfare mothers that have three or four kids and THEY have a bigger tv and stacks of X-BOX games sitting beside them.  Maybe, just maybe there's a reason they're on welfare, because they can't manage priorities worth a ****.  Oh wait, this isn't the pet peeves thread.  My bad.

I don't even know what a mega-super hero is?
That's probably supposed to be Mego Super hero.  Surely you read Twisted Toyfare Theater?  Then you are familiar with the Mego line, the precursor to the bulk of the superhero toys that exist today.

Hula Hoops: From Jon's list they were created in 1958.  I clearly remember them being quite popular (as in almost every kid had one) until the video game craze really took hold in the 80's, so virtually 30 years there.  Additionally I can find them in just about any store that sells toys year round, more so in summer.  
They're cheap, actually involves some skill and gets kids out of the house, so I have no problem with Hula Hoops being #1.
Ayup, well deserved position overall.  It wasn't a single decade, it's five decades of popularity.  Barbie may share a similar time frame and may currently be more popular, but price may be a differential factor as well.  Try to remember as well that the hula hoop was probably the most popular toy for a goodly chunk of the baby boom, versus when most of youse younguns were born as Gen Xers.  There's a whole lot less of you.  And aside from Dale and maybe Bob if he rolls in here, there aren't a lot of other boomers around.  That said, I still can't find many households that don't have one around.  And for those born prior to the video game craze (hey, my neighbour had a Pong game and it rokked), times were a might different than they have been for the last 20 years.  We actually went outside and did ****. 

I wonder though if BB guns were left off the final list for politically correct considerations.  Up here you're a bit hard pressed to even find toy guys, they're so politically incorrect these days.  Having grown up with toy guns myself and moved onto pellet guns (screw BBs, pellets have a higher velocity AND you could get darts 8)) I don't for a second buy into the PC bull**** about it leading to gun use.  Certainly not in a negative sense.  Hell, we used to take our pellet guns and go into a buddy's basement that was unfinished and play the equivalent of paintball with pellet guns.  Oh sure, we wore plastic visors.  Sometimes. ;)

Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.