Author Topic: Ultimate Galactic Hunt Figures (aka Bounty Hunt Chase Figures)  (Read 60909 times)

Online Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
Son of a bitch...

"Assortment may contain special chase variant "Bounty Hunt" figures. "Bounty Hunt" figures are not guaranteed to appear in all assortments. "

Now, WTF does that mean...  >:(
« Last Edit: March 14, 2006, 04:10 PM by JesseVader08 »
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: Ultimate Galactic Hunt Figures (aka Bounty Hunt Chase Figures)
« Reply #1 on: January 6, 2006, 12:37 PM »
I saw that too, and was curious what that meant.  I remember the next incarnation of "VOTC" being called in some places the "Ultimate Bounty Hunt Collection" (rumored to be including X-Wing Luke, Greedo, Tusken Raider, Endor Han, and Biker Scout).  I hope so much that they aren't referring to those, because making those that tough to find would be insane.  If those figures do indeed happen, they would be some of the ones I'd want the most this whole year, and if they were only available as "chases" in the regular assortments, you can about imagine how tough they would be to find (and how pricey).  Heck, regular Star Wars figures don't really stay on the pegs here the way it is, let alone VOTC-style "chase" ones.

All the negativity aside, hopefully that isn't the case.  Maybe it could be variant paint jobs, which if they did that with different factions of clones would probably frustrate us all as well.  Maybe it is referring to the holos, although they are available with every figure...let alone every case, so that doesn't make sense.  Dangerous and disturbing this puzzle is.....

SilverZ

« Reply #2 on: January 6, 2006, 02:15 PM »
Son of a bitch...

"Assortment may contain special chase variant "Bounty Hunt" figures. "Bounty Hunt" figures are not guaranteed to appear in all assortments. "

Now, WTF does that mean...  >:(

I think that means, if true, Hasbro wants to whittle down their customer base to the die-hards and make a lot of completists really pissed off, and turn the hobby into Hot Wheels. If it's true, there's a disaster in the making.

I HATE chase variants.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 6, 2006, 02:27 PM »
I couldn't agree more Jared.  I think one only needs to witness what's happened with Hot Wheels or McFarlane sportspicks figures.  This is NOT a clever or well thought out idea. 

And to put a speculative and annoying further spin on it:

What if you order one of those cases and they put a "chase" figure in it?  What figure comes out?  Darth Vader?  Not bloody likely, probably suck Cody out or something equally stupid. 

Perhaps the most aggravating aspect to this is that in Canada at least, where we lack the exclusives, Star Wars figures have not been a target of the online resellers.  This will change that entirely and that is not good news.  Chase figures pushed me out of the McFarlane set almost entirely.  More so than lots of people I still get them when I find them, but I don't pay over retail for them, that much is certain.  I'm in stores far too much as it is and the employees know me by face, but at least they know I'm not out there hunting chase **** all the time.  Now that perception will change. 

Booooooo.

edit: Do we have any idea what the Anakin/Obi/Grievous are for these cases?  Between 1x of those and 2x Vader I'm not sure it's even worth ordering the cases, if I'm going to trash five of the bloody figures. >:(
« Last Edit: January 6, 2006, 02:30 PM by Morgbug »
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 6, 2006, 03:36 PM »
Bleh.  This looks on the surface like it is getting out of hand...

I think most of these case assortments sound crazy, but the good thing is there are several assortments - I would think that is better than just one assortment where there is just 1-2 of a figure that is an army builder.  We could be getting just one or two assortments, but there are six assortments - I feel very comfortable with finding what I need at retail.  Most Walmarts around here have been very good at keeping their pegs stocked.  With a variety of assortments with this wave, I think things are looking good.

Now the thing that does concern me are the "Ultimate Bounty Hunt Collection" figures.  Whatever the hell that means. It could just be chase figures of the regular ones, with silver repaints or holographic versions.  But who knows - right now they seem like something I'm not interested in and I don't want to get something in a case that I don't want, so I'll stick to my brick and mortar Walmarts.

:P

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #5 on: January 6, 2006, 03:58 PM »
If this chase figure thing is for real, then this is where I get off.  Hasbro obviously thinks they're so desperate they need to create artificial demand by having us live in the stores in hopes of finding holos or 'bounty hunt' figs.  The only thing that's obvious is that they're not in contact with reality.  Chase figs alienate collector bases, and when that's your bread and butter, you may as well pack it in.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 6, 2006, 04:26 PM »
Unfortunately there are people out there who live for this sort of thing.  And I don't feel sorry for them, in fact I feel like slapping them in the face. 

For instance, last week I bought some of the new Hoth Bust Ups.  I wanted two AT-AT drivers, but when I got home and opened them, one was a chase figure.  I was actually pissed, and a friend came by that night freaking out offering me $15 for it.  I sold it to him for $5 actually, but I just wanted to knock him upside the head for being so excited about it. 

To me the chase figures are just stupid and could cause a downfall to this hobby - it encourages scalping and makes this for more people a profit/resale oriented hobby, and discourages opening your figures.  Bad, bad, bad.

As for different case assortments, I like it.  It can help keep certain figures from building up in excess quantities and helps keep a more consistent assortment overall.  Better than getting one assortment with 7 different figures in it, that's for sure.  But they are probably overdoing it with the Vaders.

:P

Online Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #7 on: January 6, 2006, 04:35 PM »
As for different case assortments, I like it.  It can help keep certain figures from building up in excess quantities and helps keep a more consistent assortment overall.  Better than getting one assortment with 7 different figures in it, that's for sure.  But they are probably overdoing it with the Vaders.

I don't know about the multi-assortments.  I hate the idea that my local Target will get in 2-3 of case X only to find out that it has only 8/9 of the new wave.  That means I STILL have to keep running around to track down that one last figure.  What a pain...

I guess I'm just lazy, but I'd prefer that the majority of the cases they offer to the store actually have ALL of the new figures from a wave instead of only 90%.   :-\

Don't even get me started on this "Bounty Hunt" nonsense...  anyway they try to spin it, it's going to suck.  >:(

People are trying to say that these are the vOTC-esque figures (like Brian mentioned) - X-Wing Luke, Tusken, Endor Han, Scout Trooper, Greedo - but that will suck ass if it's true.  so many questions, my brain hurts...

If the vOTC are being inserted "randomly" into cases, why?  How?  1x per case, per figure? 

I keep thinking of the nightmare scenario where I have to track down TEN different cases because each case only has one bounty hunt figure and I need to find a carded and loose for all five figures...  :-X  >:(   :'(
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 6, 2006, 04:47 PM »
I've been seriously thinking about dropping Hasbro and moving on to higher end stuff.  If this Ultimate Bounty Hunt **** comes to fruition, I think Hasbro just made my decision easier. 
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 6, 2006, 05:01 PM »
I think Hasbro is doing this because they needed to find a way to get inside Jared's head and **** with him-

Seriously, me? I'm not worried about it in the least as I'll easily find anything new they come up with at the stores (I FIND everything didn't you know?)

--And they won't make it an etailer exclusive either, Hasbro has too much to gain from major retailers by making this an any place whole line deal. That said I do see them sending different cases to DIFFERENT retailers with chases only assigned by retailer....like target gets this chase, WM gets that one ect. -imagine THAT! I could handle that scenario too-just more stores for me to get stuff from ::)

--My only regret is that they will be chases so I won't be able to get enough extras to help everyone out= people will be pissed >:(

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 6, 2006, 05:51 PM »
2006 - The Bounty Hunt Collection?

Rumors have been running all winter about the possibility of a "Bounty Hunt" collection in 2006. The latest nugget of info to leak out about this rumored line of figures is found in the new case assortment info from Entertainment Earth who have included the following line in all of their case pre-orders for the 2006 Coruscant wave:

"Assortment may contain special chase variant "Bounty Hunt" figures. "Bounty Hunt" figures are not guaranteed to appear in all assortments."

What does this mean for us? Only time will tell for sure, but all signs point to a Hasbro attempt to add "chase" figures to the 3.75" figure line, similar to the "Treasure Hunt" items introduced in the Titanium line already this year.

Friday, January 6, 2006 | Jeff Smentek

-----------------------------------------------------------

I don't like the sound of that at all folks!

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 6, 2006, 05:52 PM »
did you read the last 2 pages of the coruscant thread? all that was mentioned -maybe we could pull all those comments to this thread......
« Last Edit: January 6, 2006, 05:54 PM by Darth Slothus »

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 6, 2006, 06:05 PM »
No, I did not know it was in that thread.  I thought it was being discussed somewhere but I did not see where.  Makes sense it would be in there though.     This thread can be deleted.  Sorry about that!

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 6, 2006, 06:17 PM »
This chase crap spells the beginning of the end for the line IMO.  I dont believe that Hasbro would have Chase figs that are new figs or resculpts desirable to collectors when they could sell buttloads of them.  I cant see them making new tooling for figs with  limited runs.  It would be a loss in any profit. Hopefully they will just be some type of repack in special packaging or repaint.  Maybe a new line of Silver or Gold figs similar to the Anniversary figs with just repainted current figs in special packaging.  Who knows what Hasbro thinks
« Last Edit: January 6, 2006, 06:21 PM by Jim »

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #14 on: January 6, 2006, 06:41 PM »
If this holds true, I too hope it's just stupid gold or silver figures, and not things that actually appear in the films.
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com