Author Topic: Acid Rain - by Ori Toy  (Read 52592 times)

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
Acid Rain - by Ori Toy
« on: February 20, 2014, 01:29 PM »
I was looking through the latest BBTS newsletter and I saw these - Acid Rain by someone called Ori Toy.

It's like a 3.75" scale figure line where they pilot/drive Mech/Transformers type vehicles.  The vehicles are expensive ($100+), but they look awesome.  Neat line, but may be too expensive for me to test out sight unseen.  :-\

Anyone have more info or have seen any of these close-up?
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: Acid Rain - by Ori Toy
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2014, 04:32 PM »
The background on the line is that world war 2 didn't end and sort of continues in this futuristic "what if" scenario.  I was very interested till prices turned up and I almost gagged.  $20 for figures is even high but the vehicles floored me.  If these were in line with Star Wars in pricing I'd be jumping in I feel sure.  Even like $12 figures I'd give a go.  The tanks and things I can see $50-$60 but yikes.  I want but my want has limits.  If they get manufacturing support from a larger company maybe that'll help lower costs.  They're a pretty new company (I think).

I wanted to add though, I think that stuff's awesome...  That walker/tank in 2 pieces, my goodness I want that. :(
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 07:22 PM by Jesse James »
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2014, 12:01 AM »
Price be damned, I may order that 2-pack of figures with the base.

I soooooo want that tank mech suit.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2014, 12:20 AM »
I know, right?  I saw those pics and was blown away and then cried a little inside when I saw the price.

Like you said, that two piece tank thing that transforms into a base and Mech/walker thing is so bad-ass.  I'd love to see this stuff get picked up into wider release somehow to bring the cost down.

Very cool stuff though.  Might have to keep an eye on more of these "designer" 3.75" scale companies that are out there (like the Aliens thing you were talking about the other day).

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2014, 06:30 PM »
Hiss Tank has been covering these for a while but Monte Williams posted a photo review of one of the vehicles, Stronghold ST-1 Marine Quad Eyes 303rd Division

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #5 on: March 7, 2014, 10:39 AM »
I broke down and ordered one of the $20 figures last night.  Thanks again Hasbro for not giving me any new Star Wars figures to buy for a while.  :-\  #dabblingisdangerous
« Last Edit: March 7, 2014, 10:40 AM by Jeff »

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #6 on: April 7, 2014, 11:17 PM »
I ordered the 2-pack with the destroyed angel statue and base.  I can't wait, honestly.  I wish I had someone interested in one of the figures for a discount, but I'll deal with 2.  They can go on my meager GI Joe display shelf.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2014, 01:36 AM »
A new figure is up for pre-order now.

It's the Argurts Infantry:

http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/menu.aspx?menu=3318

Awesome looking figure...

That's the mini-gun Hasbro should've put out with the Clones too.  :D

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2014, 10:23 AM »
Man, this line just looks cool.  Wish they were cheaper... but I understand why they cost so much.

Tempting...

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2014, 09:06 PM »
I ordered the figure 2-pack with the statue...  The vehicles kill me as I really want the walker/tank thing, but I just can't jump on the price. :(  I want it though, and if things were different for me I'd buy it.

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2014, 11:16 PM »
These figures have a slight animated vibe to them, which I like. I am leaning towards getting one of the Augurt (August + Yogurt?  :P) figures. The SOL figure struck me as rather basic and light on accessories, which made the price point hard to justify. The Augurt has more weapons and appears to have more going on sculpt-wise, so it seems like the right choice for me to try out.

I have to admit though, the statue/dio set looks great. The vehicles are still overpriced IMO.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2014, 12:32 AM »
I can't say they're overpriced given the company's size making them.  I just can't afford them at this point.  I WANT to afford them, and if they got the price under $100 for that walker/tank, I'd probably cave on one.  Not both, but one I think would be doable.

They're basically a transformer which is a complex toy when you break it down, so that's what makes me think the price is probably fair enough, I just think it'll hurt sales of the bigger stuff for them.

The 1/16 RC tanks I buy are complex, but they're made by Chinese companies, they're cranked out with quality issues galore (and unfinished which is huge in saving $, and something THESE toys have as a major cost I think), and so drawing comparisons I figure this is probably fair but I just can't justify it personally.   :-\

Under $100 and I'd have ordered that thing though.  It's beyond cool.  It crosses to Star Wars very well (something I feel necessary to buy something outside of Star Wars), and it looks just sooooooo badass and hyper detailed.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #12 on: July 9, 2014, 01:35 AM »
So yeah, I'm sooooo close to a buy on these.  I got the two soldiers with the statue already, which is now sold out, but I'm seriously eying up the Walker/Tank now.  I was looking over some of what they've teased, and this stuff falls directly in sync with something I've picked up as another hobby during these down Star Wars times.

Something that crosses over nicely and which I've been enjoying on Twitter somewhat.

This Acid Rain stuff is really slick though, and after seeing a nice review of the tank, I'm shocked at how big it is.  The pictures really don't do it justice.  That price still stings, but for the quality, it's like my 1/16 RC tanks...  I'll shell out over $100 for high quality, and that thing fits the bill.

I'm so close to a purchase.  If there weren't so many home/car projects in Summer, I'd have two already. :P

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 9, 2014, 09:47 PM »
I hate loving this line. I got the Augurts trooper and Winged Victory sets in the mail last week and both are very cool. The quality on the figures was surprising. I did not expect $25 figures to be so... toy-like I guess.

Jesse, right now I'm in the same boat as you and considering adding a vehicle to my collection. I should refrain though as I know it would be a slippery slope.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #14 on: July 9, 2014, 11:46 PM »
VERY much leaning to getting one of the quad gun walker things.  I know what you mean though Greg...  I get that, and I'll want the next big one they make, probably that tank bit.  Then there's some airborne thing teased, and that little mini-bike, and I want both.

And anything that dishes out a "scenery" bit like that statue, I'm probably interested in at least.  I'd like to sell my extra soldier from the set is all.  I really don't want to get into the figures.