Author Topic: Super Hero/Comic Book Movies  (Read 336163 times)

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
Re: Super Hero/Comic Book Movies
« Reply #1305 on: October 29, 2014, 11:23 AM »
Thank you, JediDefender, for having a catch-all thread for most of the super hero/comic book franchises.

"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1306 on: October 29, 2014, 11:25 AM »
I'd love to see a solo Hawkeye film.  He's got a number of solo books to pull from and the current comic focusing on what Hawkeye does when he's not an avenger is excellent source material.  As a guy without crazy super powers, there's a lot more opportunity to character build versus the non-stop action we get from most of the Avengers.  Truth be told though, I'd love to see Phase 4 be a "West Coast Avengers" storyline where Hawk creates a sister team out in California.  I thought I heard mention of Mockingbird, so maybe they're already going this route.  In the comic, Stark handed the IM gig over to Rhodey, so Black-Iron-Man and later War Machine were a big part of that team. Would be a cool way to keep the Avengers going if RDJ and the other big names want a break or just limit their involvement to cameos akin to Sam Jackson's Fury.

Jeff - that number of Superhero movies is pretty insane.  I'm going to need a separate savings account just for Marvel & DC based movies.  It is crazy to see everyone jumping on the bandwagon, but that's a credit to all the great work done these past few years with the Avengers flicks.  I can't see every one of these being major hits, so it will be interesting to see what succeeds and what flops.

Anyone else hate the new numbering/titles being used for the team movies?  Why can't we just have Avengers 3 and Avengers 4?  Pretty soon we're going to have Avengers 5 Part I Chapters 1-3...
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Qui-Gon Jim

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1307 on: October 29, 2014, 12:01 PM »
I do think that DC's whole lineup is one or two bombs away from jeopardy though.

Marvel as a brand is now closely associated with quality.  Aside from Batman, DC is very hit-or-miss.  I hope they take the same care with their films that Marvel has shown, but their track record does not work in their favor.

I think that Marvel went...  IM was a success...  Let's build a basic framework to inter-relate these next films we have on the docket culminating in The Avengers (Phase 1).  Then for Phase 2, they got a little more ambitious, and said lets plant seeds for phase 2 AND phase 3.  The success of GotG is a direct result of the strength that Feige has built up into the Marvel brand name.

I have a sinking feeling (and I hope I'm wrong) that DC will stumble over itself trying for that big paycheck without building up to it.

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #1308 on: October 29, 2014, 12:45 PM »
Green Lantern was intended to launch the DC Movieverse.  So really they're only a couple box office failures from scrapping the whole idea and starting fresh one more time. 

Man of Steel was a box office success despite being a critical failure (and really, REALLY stupid).  I expect a huge opening weekend for Dawn no matter how awful it is.  I think it's a big mistake bringing out Suicide Squad second - that property has almost zero recognition, and unless it's spectacular doesn't have a chance to build an audience like Guardians of the Galaxy did.  If it fails like GL, then who knows what'll happen with their slate.  WW would be filmed and getting effects done.  So it'll be released.  JL would probably be in production and safe.  But everything after that - certainly at risk.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1309 on: October 29, 2014, 02:09 PM »
I'd love to see a solo Hawkeye film.  He's got a number of solo books to pull from and the current comic focusing on what Hawkeye does when he's not an avenger is excellent source material.  As a guy without crazy super powers, there's a lot more opportunity to character build versus the non-stop action we get from most of the Avengers.  Truth be told though, I'd love to see Phase 4 be a "West Coast Avengers" storyline where Hawk creates a sister team out in California. 

A West Coast Avengers spinoff might be the right vehicle for Hawkeye to grow as a character in the MCU.  There are also his roots in SHIELD to consider, and he was mentioned in passing during last night's Agents of SHIELD.  But seeing the cosmic/global nature of the threats that the Avengers are facing, I don't know if the whole West Coast team concept makes as much sense in the context of the MCU as it did in the comics back in the 80's and 90's.

I thought I heard mention of Mockingbird, so maybe they're already going this route. 

Mockingbird has actually been featured in the past couple of episodes of Agents of SHIELD.  So far she's been interesting, and I think they're working to develop her into more than just a featured character.  I hope they do.  Because Adrianne Palicki is HOT!!!!

In the comic, Stark handed the IM gig over to Rhodey, so Black-Iron-Man and later War Machine were a big part of that team. Would be a cool way to keep the Avengers going if RDJ and the other big names want a break or just limit their involvement to cameos akin to Sam Jackson's Fury.

This would be a cool way to utilize someone who's as strong of an actor as Don Cheadle.  And expanding on his independent role as War Machine/Iron Patriot would be worth examining.  To that end, I also have to wonder if he's also going to be a factor in the Captain America 3 story line.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 06:16 PM by Nicklab »
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #1310 on: October 29, 2014, 05:12 PM »
With Robert Downey, Jr not wanting to do anymore IM movies, perhaps with the Civil War and Infinity Wars he could die and Rhodie could take his place?

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1311 on: October 30, 2014, 02:58 PM »
I heard last night that he's recently changed his tone on that and would consider an IM 4 if the story line is good.  He seems to revel in being Iron Man from his social media posts, so I hope he comes back for more.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Online Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #1312 on: November 11, 2014, 12:53 PM »
The FF reboot just keeps on giving...  meet Victor Domashev, anti-social programmer; aka "Doom" on the internet.

My FF loving pal has already sworn off this flick with the casting changes made to Marvel's "first family", can't wait to hear his 45 minute tirade on how changing Victor Von Doom is the new worst thing they can possibly do to the movie... ;)
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #1313 on: November 11, 2014, 01:16 PM »
So who's going to be the better anti-social hacker, Victor "Doom" or Lex Luthor?

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #1314 on: November 11, 2014, 08:49 PM »
The FF reboot just keeps on giving...  meet Victor Domashev, anti-social programmer; aka "Doom" on the internet.

My FF loving pal has already sworn off this flick with the casting changes made to Marvel's "first family", can't wait to hear his 45 minute tirade on how changing Victor Von Doom is the new worst thing they can possibly do to the movie... ;)

Your friend is right on the money. What is the point of taking one of the cornerstone Marvel franchises and then doing everything possible to make a move that bears little or no semblance to its source material? These aren't just cosmetic details like costumes either, they are completely altering the core characters. Reed and Sue were always meant to be older and squarer, like the parents, while Johnny and Ben were the unruly offspring. Reed wasn't just some punk kid with a high IQ, he was one of the most brilliant and prominent scientists in America even before he became Mr Fantastic. And don't even get me started on Victor Von Doom. Way to ruin one of the great comic villains by turning him into some douchy tattooed hipster hacker.

I really hope this is a colossal flop for them, this particularly appalling brand of Hollywood idiocy should not be rewarded. And please reconsider this director for any of those next few Star Wars movies. We don't need a young female Latino Boba Fett, or a middle aged Chinese man as Leia or WTF he is apt to do.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline EdSolo

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #1315 on: November 12, 2014, 06:51 AM »
You have to wonder if FOX is trying to have this film bomb so they can try to sell the rights back to Marvel and just concentrate on X-Men.

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #1316 on: November 12, 2014, 09:37 AM »
A successful franchise is a whole lot more valuable to sell than a failed franchise.  I doubt they're spending millions with the goal of failing spectacularly.

My guess - they saw that a fairly faithful adaptation was modestly successful financially, and the sequel got decent reviews, but nowhere near the success Disney has seen.  They expect a fully-faithful adaptation wouldn't be any more successful, so they're rolling the dice.  They like the writer/director's vision.  They don't care if it's faithful.  They think it'll relevant to a younger audience.

If you go back and watch the Alba FF movies, they haven't aged well.  The first was bad from the get-go, but now even the second is pretty grating.  They were very juvenile.  The "family dynamic" that made the comic successful and cutting-edge in the 1960s is kind of ridiculous now.  An older sister bossing around her grown adult brother?  Silly.  So the feel I get from this one is "What if four people in 2015 got these powers - what would happen?"  It's not going to be anything like Mole Men from below NYC are going to tunnel up and attack the city.

I'm still willing to give it a chance.  Chronicle was brilliant.  That gives me some hope.  Maybe they shouldn't call it Fantastic Four.  Maybe the adaptation is way too loose for purists.  But hey, maybe it'll be an awesome film anyway.

Offline EdSolo

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #1317 on: November 12, 2014, 09:51 AM »
The problem with that assessment is that F4 is never going to be a success on the level of Avengers or Spiderman.  There will probably be a time in the not to distant future where people are going to tire of all of these comic/superhero movies.  All of these changes are going to irk the hardcore fans, but that really isn't the audience for the picture.  However, when you tell the actors to not bother reading the source material, it makes me wonder how committed FOX is to the property.  Honestly, I don't think they would intentionally put out a bomb and waste all the money involved in production, marketing, etc., but I do think that selling the rights back to Marvel has to be on the table.  While I don't think Marvel would have a burning desire for the heroes,  I think they would love to get the cinematic rights back for Galactus and the Skrulls.

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #1318 on: November 12, 2014, 02:10 PM »
Sony is rumored to be planning a movie about May Parker now. They've denied the rumor, but still, can we just get Spider-Man's rights back to Marvel?
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1319 on: November 12, 2014, 04:01 PM »
You have to wonder if FOX is trying to have this film bomb so they can try to sell the rights back to Marvel and just concentrate on X-Men.

Marvel seems to be laying the groundwork for Sony and Fox to want to relinquish those rights.  Case in point?  They cancelled the Fantastic Four comic.  And they also killed Wolverine.  Those are two VERY big properties in the Marvel Universe.  And the movie rights rest in the case of those properties with Fox.  I think I get Marvel's angle here.  Why provide the competition with any more story lines for Marvel characters that could turn up in Fox movies? 
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback