Author Topic: tivo  (Read 1826 times)

Offline stormie

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
tivo
« on: February 23, 2006, 02:32 PM »
So, I've been thinking of getting my wife tivo for her birthday, but I'm still unsure if I can rationalize the price. We just have traditional cable, no digital, with, like 90 channels. Our VCR is about done, and my wife likes to tape a few programs daily so she can watch them later without little ones nipping at her heels.

For those that have tivo, I've a list of questions.

Easy to set up? Do you need someone to install it?
Any additional wiring? Does it hook up just like a DVD/VCR?
Is a phone line necessary?
Can you watch a program while recording another?
Easy to use?
Pros and cons?
Do you still use a VCR for some things?

Thanks!

SilverZ

Re: tivo
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2006, 03:26 PM »
I loved mine, though I haven't used it since I moved up here as I don't have a traditional phone line, which it requires for 1st-time setup.

Easy to set up? Do you need someone to install it?
Any additional wiring? Does it hook up just like a DVD/VCR?

Very simple to set up on your own, just like hooking up a VCR or DVD. It has the benefit of having several hookup options - you can go coaxial cable, composite video, or s-video. It comes with the cables you need as well. It's super-straightforward.

Is a phone line necessary?
Like I mentioned the problem I have now, yes, you need a land phone line for at least the initial dial-in setup. During the setup you'll need to provide enough info (zip code, etc) to locate what cable system you are on so that the guide can get proper program data. After that setup, however, you can use an internet connection for updates. Why they require the phone call in firsthand is beyong me. (Though maybe this has changed noe)?

Can you watch a program while recording another?
You need to have a Tivo unit that has dual tuners to do that with the box alone. Otherwise, you have to make sure that you are passing through the cable signal out from the Tivo to your TV. For me to do this, I had the Tivo on Video 1 (s-video) and used the standard TV tuner on the TV when I was watching something else - basically bouncing back and forth, which I didn't think was ideal. Dual tuner Tivo is what you'd need for the easiest solution.

Easy to use?
Pros and cons?

Actually, I think ease of use is it's biggest pro. What I watched on TV dramatically changed with Tivo. I'd add lots of Adult Swim episodes to my schedule, and after a few days you'd find nice new episodes waiting for you. The Tivo guide can also be set up to recommend programs for you, and is good about skipping over repeats of shows so that you don't end up with lots of unwanted material.

On the con side, I wasn't very fond of the out-of-the-box navigation. For example, to set the remote to jump forward in 30 second time blocks, you had to access a code that required digging around the net to find. Out of the box you had to scan through commercials, which was quick and easy, but not as cool as clicking 4 times to get back into a show. Also, hard drive space gets eaten up pretty quickly if you record on the higher quality settings (which I preffered).

Do you still use a VCR for some things?
Nah. Though some people do have it still chained behind the Tivo so that can back up programs to tape and delete them on the Tivo. But you can also archive recorded content from the Tivo to a PC now, so a VCR just seems antiquated now.

Hopefully that helps a bit, but honestly I haven't used my Tivo in about 6 months, and the world could have changed some since then. I loved the Tivo, but if I started up again, I'd probably just get a DVR from the cable company so that I could record HD from cable and the digital channels. But if you have no interest in shelling out more money to bad cable products, Tivo is a great machine, and its interface and ease of use is miles ahead of all the other DVR solutions out there.

Offline Deanpaul

• Jedi Apprentice
  • open for interpretation
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2006, 05:01 PM »
You might consider ReplayTV. We've got one of their older units, and it works great. It does everything Tivo does without the pesky pushing unwanted programming your way.

A few differences between Replay and Tivo. Some of these may have changed, but it's a start.

With replay, you can automatically skip all commercials. It just edits them out, I can still decide to watch them after recording, but I don't have to do anything to skip them.

There is a phone and RJ-45 connector on the back. I've never connected over the phone line, it connects using our high speed internet. My computer can see and connect to the Replay. I can move content from the Replay to my computer and watch it there, or save it on a larger hard drive, burn it to dvd or post caps and clips to the web. The Replay can access programs I've pulled to the computer, increasing the amount of content I can store for quick access long term. Check out DV Archive for more about what you can do.

With the Replay, I can pay a higher price upfront and opt out of the $10 or $15 monthly service fee. A unit without subscription .....

Okay, while typing this reply I googled for some information about subscription costs and found some bad news.

You probably can't buy a ReplayTV. Unless you find one in overstock somewhere.

On December 19th, 2005, Digital Networks North America announced that it is exiting the hardware business as soon as current inventory is sold out. ReplayTV will then concentrate on PC software sales of its DVR technology in a partnership with Hauppauge Computer Works, a manufacturer of Television cards for PCs.

I love and hate you, Wikipedia.
"Regime change, like charity, begins at home." - Ira Glass, This American Life

Offline stormie

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2006, 06:02 PM »
Thanks guys.

Yeah, that phone line thing has me concerned. Our existing phone jacks aren't anywhere near our tv.

Another concern is the two-tuner thing. We do want to be able to watch something while recording something else.

I will need to delve further.

Thanks, again!

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2006, 10:56 PM »
Thanks guys.

Yeah, that phone line thing has me concerned. Our existing phone jacks aren't anywhere near our tv.

My Tivo is no where near my phone jack either.  When I got Direct Tv, the guy who installed it also hooked up a wirelss modem to the tivo and to my phonejack so the tivo could update automatically.  The tivo makes a call sometime between 2 and 4 am to update itself.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2006, 09:46 AM »
Crap in a hat, the satelitte DVR's need phone jacks too?!

SilverZ

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2006, 06:07 PM »
You might consider ReplayTV.

You might consider taking a walk outside that cave you dwell in with your Mac and realize its 2006.  :-*

Offline Chris

• Founder
  • Administrator
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2006, 07:18 PM »
You might consider ReplayTV.

You might consider taking a walk outside that cave you dwell in with your Mac and realize its 2006.  :-*

I'm happier now than before I read that. Thank you.

Offline stormie

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 8, 2006, 01:06 PM »
So, I got my wife the tivo for her b-day last week to replace the VCR that was old and just couldn't keep up with her. ;) She was pleased but skeptical (when's she going to find the time to learn how to record something on this new-fangled thing?).

I set it up on Monday night (only about 20 minutes), and she's already recorded and viewed some of her regular programs. She obviously finds it very easy to use, and she's pleased.  ;D

As far as the phone line and dual tuner things...I found that I do actually have a phone jack near the tv (hidden behind a dresser), so that wasn't an issue. And if I want to view a program while recording another, all you need is a RF splitter and extra coax cable ($5 total).

So far, tivo gets the big thumbs up. However, I don't think I'll get much opportunity to use it, since the wife really digs it.

Offline Loopy_Leia

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2006, 03:47 PM »
Hmm...we have a DVR through Adelphia and as far as I know we didn't need a phone line to hook it up.  There isn't a phone jack anywhere near the TV out here in the living room so I dunno how the guy who did it hooked it up...hahaha.  I LOVE my DVR...you can record a whole season of a show , either repeats or just the new episodes...and, it takes it a lot longer to fill up than a VCR would...I think we have over 20 movies on the thing right now ...granted, I've had to delete a few if I know there is something I want to record...and, we have dual tuners so we can record 1 thing and watch something else or you can record 2 things and not watch anything at the time...pretty cool setup if you ask me :)