Author Topic: 2004 DVD Release List  (Read 101141 times)

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
Re: 2004 DVD Release List
« Reply #405 on: May 15, 2004, 03:37 PM »
(Reposted so it doesn't get lost with the last page)

Looks like Kill Bill Vol. 2 will be getting an August 10th release. . .

DVD Answers

(No word on any of the other dozen or so releases Tarantino/Miramax has planned, though. . .)   :-\
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #406 on: May 15, 2004, 03:44 PM »
Saw a commercial for the theater version of ROTK last night and it reminded me that the DVD will be out in less than 2 weeks

Yeah, and I think that several retailers are supposed to have some exclusive freebies and things with it, too--I suppose we'll have more details and prices next week some time.

And of course, reviews are starting to show up, too:

The Digital Bits review (Video: B+ / Audio: A- / Extras: C)

DVD File review (Video: 4.5/5 / Audio: 4.5/5 / Extras: 3/5 / ROM: 3/5 / Value: 4/5)

And of course, I have to get the damn Trilogy box set because I'm an anal-retentive, massive tool.  Anyone want the Fellowship theatrical 2-disc set for a Star Wars figure or two?  Let me know.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

SilverZ

« Reply #407 on: May 15, 2004, 08:09 PM »
Yah, been pestering my local game shop that puts bigger DVD releases out early for ROTK. I'm jonesing for a decent flick to watch. There's been a dryspell of quality releases as of late. Which neatly brings me to this Tuesday's big releases (for me at least):

Also heading my way are the Walt Disney Treasures discs, Miracle, and Around the World in 80 Days. Good week, finally.

SilverZ

« Reply #408 on: May 18, 2004, 01:56 AM »
And all the DVD sites are reporting that Happy Gilmore and Billy Madison SE's are due in the end of August. They haven't been too clear on how its being released, so I dug into the Universal site and got what's there:

PRE-ORDER: 7/13/2004
STREET: 8/31/2004
FORMAT: DVD
SELECTION NUMBER:  25799
UPC CODE: 0-2519-25799-2-9
ISBN NUMBER : 1-4170-1789-9
RELEASE TYPE:  Sell-Through  
UNIT TYPE: Promotional Pack

SET INCLUDES :  

25450 Billy Madison
Special Edition DVD
Anamorphic Widescreen
English
PG-13

25442 Happy Gilmore
Special Edition DVD
Anamorphic Widescreen
English
PG-13

Looks like it's in a double-pack only (one UPC)... but hey... HAPPY GILMORE is worth it.

Now who would like a warm glass of Shut The Hell Up?  ;)

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #409 on: May 18, 2004, 02:06 AM »
Man. . .

Widescreen Happy Gilmore, and dual-layered Goodfellas, within about two weeks of each other in August.

Pretty soon, there won't be anything left to complain about.

(Oh, who am I kidding--there will always be something to complain about.  But it's still nice to scratch these off the list. . .)

Offline Force Guy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Nom nom nom
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: May 18, 2004, 02:47 AM »
(Reposted so it doesn't get lost with the last page)

Looks like Kill Bill Vol. 2 will be getting an August 10th release. . .

DVD Answers

(No word on any of the other dozen or so releases Tarantino/Miramax has planned, though. . .)   :-\

Heh.  Nonetheless, it's good news!  
Binders full of astromechs...

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #411 on: May 19, 2004, 11:33 AM »
Coming to your home theatre September 21st. . .

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #412 on: May 19, 2004, 11:36 AM »
We've been talking a little bit about that over in the OT section here and some of the other possible changes...Jim had put this list together

1.  Ian McDirmid replaces the Emperor in ESB
2.  Anakin is added to the Jedi Spirt Scene
3.  The lightsaber battle in ANH has been cleaned up, and possibly sped up.
4.  Jabba from ANH has been cleaned up.
5.  Space scenes have been tweaked.
6.  Luke will unmask a battle damaged Anakin.

I have heard all of these...that the OT duel was completely redone ala Dooku in AOTC with Lee's head plopped on to a body double

The Greedo/Han scene is still the big one most people are wondering about...

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #413 on: May 19, 2004, 11:43 AM »
Man, each time these changes leak out, I hold onto my bootleg DVDs and laserdiscs a little tighter. . .

(One of these days, I'm going to take my 1995 THX lasers to someone that has the equipment, time, and know-how, and have them make up a set of really, really good quality bootleg Original Trilogy DVDs. . .)

=======================================

Also coming to your home theatre this fall, according to the Rumor Mill at The Digital Bits:

Eddie Murphy: Raw
Explorers
Fire in the Sky
D.A.R.Y.L.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #414 on: May 19, 2004, 11:51 AM »
Oooh Explorers was one of my favorite movies growing up...it sort of sucks when you grow up and didn't age very well but having a young Ethan Hawke and River Phoenix and showing the dream most of us all had of exploring space it was a great kid movie.

« Last Edit: May 19, 2004, 11:52 AM by OCB »

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: May 19, 2004, 11:57 AM »
I actually watched Explorers quite a bit when I was growing up as well, but I haven't seen it in years.  Like you said Scott, I wonder if it has aged well over time :).  Good movie as a kiddo though!

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #416 on: May 19, 2004, 10:43 PM »
After paying $14 for DVD's like Jaws and Reservoir Dogs, just to see them drop to $9 a month or two later, I've learned from my lesson and now I've decided to wait (impatiently) for a lot of $14 movies to drop down to $9.

Among them : Bridge Over The River Kwaai, The Shining, Batman, Gladiator, Who Framed Roger Rabbit, The Muppet Movie, Spiderman, etc.

Question is - is there a site that posts when price drops will occur?  :-\

SilverZ

« Reply #417 on: May 20, 2004, 12:24 AM »
Amazon.com likes to relist DVDs whenever there is a pricedrop. There's probably a better source though. I tend to stay away from reading those... I just get angry at seeing something I paid 19.99 for drop to 9.99, while it sits on my shelf unopened.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #418 on: May 21, 2004, 02:47 AM »
Lifted from TVShowsOnDVD.com. . .

As mentioned, I attended a presentation from Columbia today, where they presented the Seinfeld DVD package. There is no set date yet. November was mentioned. What is set is that there will be a season 1 and 2 box - total 18 episodes, 4 discs , $49.95 SLP and a Season 3 box, 22 Episodes, 4 discs, same SLP. They are also planning a gift set of the 2 boxes combined ,with a TBD gift item, at a list price of $129.95. They showed some of the new footage that will be part of the extras, with Seinfeld walking around NYC to different landmarks, including the convenience store where he and Larry David were shopping, and conceived the idea for the show ! They also showed snippets of Larry David speaking, and some other footage implying that there will be other behind the scenes footage. They are going to promote it like an event film title, and have very high expectations, without a doubt!!!

SilverZ

« Reply #419 on: May 23, 2004, 03:02 AM »
DavisDVD has a pricedrop calendar. Never noticed:

DVD Price Drop Calendar

Maybe this will be of some help.