Author Topic: A Game of Thrones (HBO)  (Read 249978 times)

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
Re: A Game of Thrones (HBO)
« Reply #660 on: June 19, 2016, 10:24 PM »
OMFG, that was amazing, and the last 10 minutes were so ******* kick-ass.

I hope that little girl from Bear Island made it out ok.

Don't mess with Sansa.

:)
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #661 on: June 19, 2016, 10:35 PM »
That was one of the most intense hours of television I have ever watched.  I was on the edge of my seat for the entire battle.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: June 20, 2016, 12:11 AM »
Great! I really had no idea what was going to happen and I found myself talking to the TV for the first time ever in this series.

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #663 on: June 20, 2016, 08:24 AM »
Great episode, but unnecessarily costly to the Stark army.  Sansa said "we could wait until we have a larger army" when she should have appended "because Littlefinger is marching here with all the soldiers of the Eyrie."  She had to know they were coming in response to her raven.  Hell, she knew where to meet with them.  Did she let all of Jon's Wildlings get slaughtered out of spite because she wasn't included in the war council?

I understand the writers were going for the drama of the Eyrie horses swooping in and saving everyone, but I wish it could have been a bit more logical.  Just having Sansa not riding in with Littlefinger, having her not know whether he'd respond to her pleas, would have been better.

But that's a bit of a nitpick.  Overall, it was awesome.  Really amazing, brutal battle.  Those piles of bodies were unreal.

I'd also like for it to be explained how Daenerys figured out how to control her dragons.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #664 on: June 20, 2016, 10:05 AM »
That Rickon scene was absolutely nail biting, this whole thing to me felt like a deep homage to both Lord of the RIngs and 300...absolutely brutal  It smacked of the Battle of Pelennor Fields with Rohan coming to save the day after our heroes were absolutely getting brutalized.  Jon Snow is a ******* badass beyond badass.

**** you Ramsay...rot in the lower reached of whatever hell your gods provide (old or new)

So, how are Daenerys and Jon going to meet up?  Will Euron side with the Lannisters and we'll have an epic sea battle on our hands?  When will Arya kill Cersei?  When will the wall come down? In a way I'm sad that GRR couldn't finish this sooner (hell even Winds of Winter), but more than not I'm happy we won't have to wait another 7 years to figure out what happens.

« Last Edit: June 20, 2016, 10:19 AM by Scott »

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: June 20, 2016, 10:07 AM »
That was ******* awesome.  That's the episode I've been waiting for the last few weeks.  I thought the entire episode was taking place in the North, so I loved the opening scenes in Meeren. 

I'd also like for it to be explained how Daenerys figured out how to control her dragons.

My guess is the other two are following the lead of big brother Drogon, who she has control over (at least as much as she can have control over a large fire breathing reptile with anger issues).
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: June 20, 2016, 10:21 AM »
So does Sansa get to say "You know nothing, Jon Snow"?  Because she called what was going to happen to Rickon.  It didn't make that scene any less heartbreaking, either.

But what about Wun Wun?  OMG, he was amazing!  Wun Wun saved Jon's men as those Bolton men and the Umbers were closing in on the remaining Stark/Wildling forces. He was the only one who was really effective against that shield wall and he gave them all a fighting a chance. But that crush of bodies was probably one of the most terrifying things I've ever seen! At first it looked like one of the men was trying to make sure that Jon was protected. But the sitatuation turned bad in a hurry, and Jon came so to being crushed by the mounting dead and wounded. And Small Jon Umber was just brutal as he and his men came in to finish off those who were able to climb off of that pile. The fight between Tormund and Lord Umber itself was gut-wrenching, and I really didn't know if Tormund was going to survive.

And when Wun Wun broke down the gates of Winterfell and took on all of those Boltons? Watching it was exhilarating, but all of the arrows and spears he was taking clearly took their toll. And then that lousy f*** Ramsay Bolton killed him! Giants were so incredibly scarce beyond the Wall. After the battle for the gate between Mance Rayders forces and the Night's Watch, and the massacre at Hardhome I was left wondering if Wun Wun might have been the last of the Giants. And now he's gone too. Watching Jon take those arrows in his shield and then beat Ramsay to a bloody pulp was incredibly satisfying. But it was that much more satisfying to see Sansa get to exact her own revenge on the Bastard of Bolton.

But at what price? I really think that the price of Lord Baelish and the Knights of the Vale coming to the rescue of the Stark forces will be Sansa's hand in marriage. She's a widow now that Ramsay is dead (despite her previous marriage to Tyrion), and the only known, legitimate heir to the Stark name. Littlefinger has built a significant power base as the Lord of Harrenhal, the power behind the Vale and the North, and he might have found his ladder to the Iron Throne. Especially since King's Landing appears to be on the brink of major destabilization.

Jon Snow said in the coming attractions that the Starks have many enemies now, and he's right. Their own forces were seriously depleted in the Battle of the Bastards. The Boltons are gone. And now the Umbers, Karstarks and Glovers are no longer loyal to House Stark. The North is incredibly weak now, and if the White Walkers breach the Wall, what's to stop them from completely sweeping through the North?
« Last Edit: June 20, 2016, 10:24 AM by Nicklab »

Feedback

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #667 on: June 20, 2016, 11:58 AM »
Awesome war scene with the horses and men crashing in to each other all around Jon.

I'll be interested to see if some of the other houses that have left the Stark fold will come back now that they've retaken Winterfell, and if the Tulleys are able to join forces as well.  I'm not sure what Jamie's army is doing now that they have captured Riverrun.  I kind of got the feeling that they were going to turn it over to the Freys or the Tulleys (assuming they were going to have the castle be loyal to King's Landing) and head back south.

That was an amazing episode not only for the battle of the bastards, but also for the speed in which things wrapped up in Mereen.  It seems like they've spent the whole season doing close to nothing there (other than lots of talking) and in a matter of eight minutes they defeat the masters/harpys and Dany agrees to an alliance with Theon and crew. 

I'll be interested to see how they wrap up the season (lots of previews around King's Landing) and if we get some kind of cliffhanger.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2016, 12:37 PM by Dave »

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #668 on: June 20, 2016, 12:27 PM »
The North is incredibly weak now, and if the White Walkers breach the Wall, what's to stop them from completely sweeping through the North?

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: June 20, 2016, 12:52 PM »
That goes without saying.  But she's still on the wrong side of the Narrow Sea.

Feedback

Offline Sprry75

• Jedi Apprentice
  • semper ubi sub ubi
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: June 20, 2016, 04:26 PM »
Yeah, but Theon and his sister seemed to get to Mereen pretty damn quick, so it shouldn't take long to get from Essos to Westeros and start ******* **** up with the dragons and the unsullied.
"Really?  Sorry."

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #671 on: June 22, 2016, 10:09 AM »
This week's episode will be just Brann is the producer's basement since they have no money from the FX budget left.   :D
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: June 22, 2016, 11:26 AM »
This week's episode will be just Brann is the producer's basement since they have no money from the FX budget left.   :D

I think that is why half of this season was Tyrion in Meereen just talking and Ayra in a room training with The Waif.

I heard next season might only be seven episodes.  I hope that means they cut out all the pointless talking and spend a ten episode budget on just seven episodes with plenty of action.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: June 22, 2016, 11:40 PM »
It's not only going to be just seven episodes, but they're the last seven episodes.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #674 on: June 22, 2016, 11:53 PM »
The battle was pretty epic...  Pretty standard military stuff for that kind of era, which was fun to see.  Films have covered that stuff ok (Kingdom of Heaven, Braveheart, etc.), but I felt like the Battle of the Bastards was a pretty a-typical medieval battle playing out.

The kid who played Rickon has to be peeved.

The end was nice, but how it plays out now with Littlefinger is interesting.  He's been a favorite character of mine.  Ever since Chaos is a Ladder...  My goodness is that one of the more epic sequences in the show.  And it's kind of fitting how that all unfolded.  The battle itself is chaos, and chaos affords opportunity, and luck, and Jon had both on his side.  He emerged from the chaos, climbing out of it...  and then it's the orchestrator of chaos, who comes, and takes the fullest advantage of it.

How that all comes together, it's just so emblematic of the show as a whole.  Same as Tyrion in a way, comes into his own.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77