Author Topic: 3rd Party Kenner Retro-Style Toys  (Read 9026 times)

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
Re: 3rd Party Kenner Retro-Style Toys
« Reply #255 on: September 19, 2023, 04:04 PM »
There is a US site where he bulk ships to a guy who sells them in the states.  You can save money that way.  I usually wait for him to get them, but with the Tonnika Sisters I just ordered through the UK site.  Often when you do that it still gets bulk shipped and then mailed domestically.  But at least I have a preorder in that way.

https://stansolocreationsusa.com/

Offline EdSolo

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: September 20, 2023, 06:24 AM »
Just a note, even if you preorder in UK and live in US, you will be charged the UK shipping rate, but the item will ship from the US.  That being said, I have begun preordering some stuff in the UK.  I've held off on the last few minus the Tonnika sisters because I'm beginning the process of moving and didn't want to rock the boat with an address change mid preorder, which I might still have to do.  Greedo is shipping.  However the first couple shipments have been solely preorders.  It has not gone up on the US site yet as in stock.  I have waited on that one, Degobah Luke, and removable helmet Vader.  However, I should close this Friday and might preorder the latter two once I have the new address.  Old house isn't on the market yet at this point, but these preorders are just unpredictable with shipping dates.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: September 30, 2023, 10:14 PM »
Greedo is up on the US site.  Just ordered one…

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: October 1, 2023, 10:33 PM »
I don't know why other than Kenner Greedo is Greedo to me, but I have had no interest in the Stan Solo version at all. I even tried to psyche myself up as it could be Beedo from Jabba's Palace instead since it looks more modern than 79 Greedo, but to no avail.

Last year I felt the same way about his updated Fetts, but I eventually did get the ROTJ version by justifying it as a POTF figure. The ESB version I just could not justify.

Weird the philosophical avenues this hobby can take you down.

Offline EdSolo

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: October 3, 2023, 06:27 AM »
I kind of feel the same way about the "Next 17" line of figures.  I like the characters they are making, but the aesthetic seems just a little off for me to want to buy them.  I have a Greedo on the way.  I love the original vintage version, but I had to see how this compares.  The upcoming Degobah Luke looks really good.  The face looks like vintage Luke, but with messy hair.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: October 3, 2023, 10:34 AM »
That’s where I’m at.  The Last 17 don’t quite fit the bill to me, but basically everything Chris Smith had done I love. 

I also like the vast majority of what Pro Custom Figures does, although I don’t think they’re quite as perfect a match to the original line as Stan Solo.

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: October 3, 2023, 11:48 AM »
Agreed as well. Stan Solo > Pro Customs > Next 17. Chris Smith almost looks like he is starting his sculpts with Kenner figures and building off of that, if that makes sense.

This last week has seen a bounty of 3D print files for 5POA style figures based on the Ahsoka series. Not professionally produced of course, but it seems a sea change has occurred. Not only are fans jumping in to do it, but it happens fast and seems obvious. This whole new wing of action figure collecting is really threatening to become a large part of the hobby in multiple ways.

Offline EdSolo

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: November 17, 2023, 06:25 AM »
Stan Solo has his R4-M9 up for preorder.  His FB post says this and the next item he offers may be it for him.  Also said he would be making this one in lower quantities.  Not sure if this is just his typical rants or not.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: November 17, 2023, 06:30 AM »
His recent Instagram post says he’s got a redone r-series mold and is doing R3-T2.

He also said he was quitting before announcing movie accurate Greedo, removable helmet Darth Vader, Bespin Luke, Tonnika Sisters, and both of those droids

Someday he will I suppose, but I’ll believe it when I see it.

Offline EdSolo

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: November 23, 2023, 07:26 AM »
Krahn is holding on.  TFSB website has been stipped to bare bones with only an update screen and nothing about any product at all.  His update is the typical BS that the Bantha isn't his fault, they are only a third company payment processor and that the place in Texas he "paid" to create the Banthas are at fault.  Completely silly since he stated making these things in China.  He also states that there will be an upcoming update on the wave of 13.  I can't believe he is actually still trying to save face on all of this.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: November 23, 2023, 09:54 AM »
The third party payment processor part is the most infuriating bull**** part of all of this. 

Apple hires Foxconn to make their phones but I’m not in any kind of contract with Foxconn. 

Fact is he designed (or Smith did) the Bantha, and he took my payment.  It is 100% his problem to find the right vendors to produce that product and the idea that he can wash his hands of responsibility with such nonsense is maddening.

One of his primary responsibilities is to charge enough to be able to afford a reputable factory that can actually deliver, and if his claims along the way have been true, then he’s completely failed to do that.

« Last Edit: November 23, 2023, 10:01 AM by Rob »

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: November 23, 2023, 04:39 PM »
Separately, I got a shipping notice for Bondo and Chituhr today.  Can’t wait to complete the set.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: November 30, 2023, 10:44 PM »
 :)

« Last Edit: December 1, 2023, 10:49 AM by Rob »

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #268 on: December 15, 2023, 03:26 PM »
I've been sorely tempted by these 2nd wave Ewoks figures, but $80 each is a lot of scratch. They do look great, though.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: December 15, 2023, 05:41 PM »
It was definitely pricey, but I absolutely love that I can finally have my own version of this one-of-a-kind collection.  $80 is a lot, but nearly every real figure from those lines was significantly more, so it's not terrible. 

« Last Edit: December 18, 2023, 04:23 PM by Rob »