Author Topic: Batman v Superman / Justice League / DC Movies  (Read 86939 times)

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
Re: Batman v Superman / Justice League / DC Movies
« Reply #255 on: August 8, 2016, 11:39 PM »
Just got back from Suicide Squad. Maybe it's because I was expecting a BvS level bomb but I didn't actually hate it. Although I'd be okay with never seeing it again. I was mostly... bored with it? It was basically 90 minutes of walking around, with an additional 30 minutes of bad fighting and some random Joker scenes.

The pacing was all over the place. Seriously, they should have just given us a booklet with all of the team members and their traits and saved 10 minutes of screen time. The music was ridiculous too, using every cliche rock song from the past 40 years. It's like someone from DC watched Guardians of the Galaxy and completely missed the point. Then there were too many characters, main plot felt like an Avengers ripoff, etc.

I would have had them just be told to steal some weapons or something from Wayne Enterprises since Waller was a bad guy anyway. Would have made the post credits scene make more sense as to why Batman wanted to keep tabs on them. Simpler plot, and gives the characters more time to be developed rather than just having us be expected to know who these people are already (or think we can read flash cards in 5 seconds)
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline jedipurge

• Jedi Apprentice
  • follow me on Instagram: VadersEmpire78
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: August 9, 2016, 10:05 AM »
I've been looking forward to this so hopefully I haven't ruined it for myself be reading what seems to be negative reviews. I let the bad hype/review of BvS stop me from seeing it in the theater and after have watched already at least 4 times on blu ray/digital I regret not seeing it in all its cinematic glory on the big screen. I loved BvS. I do wish there was a little more Superman in the movie but I get that BvS was more of an introduction of Affleck Batman without just making a straight Batman movie.

So that said I'm seeing Suicide Squad after work today and hoping for the best.
Harmless is the most dangerous of perceptions, you never expect it to strike.-Purge

Online Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: August 11, 2016, 05:35 PM »
What did people think about the Suicide Squad movie? 

I'm not a comic book guy and don't have a bias one way or the other. 

It seems the pre-release buzz was good, but the score on Rotten Tomatoes is terrible.

Worth seeing or not?

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #258 on: August 11, 2016, 06:41 PM »
I'm hearing a little of both...  My kids saw it, love DC stuff, and thought it was good. 

Perhaps a little too much pre-release hype.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #259 on: August 12, 2016, 11:41 AM »
The reviews from suicide squad I have heard is that it suffers from the same issues that Batman vs Superman had...DC is trying to accomplish in three movies what Marvel took a few years and several movies to build.  The result is a movie that is well cast, but is just a narrative mess.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline jedipurge

• Jedi Apprentice
  • follow me on Instagram: VadersEmpire78
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: August 12, 2016, 01:20 PM »
i think it was overhyped. it was a good movie don't get me wrong, but at the same time nothing spectacular. just an action flick. didn't have anything to do with moving the DC movie story along, very much a stand alone movie. slight mention of Superman being dead and a short scene on Batman. the end credit scene was the only thing that involved moving DC story forward. it didn't leave me hoping/wondering when they're going to make Suicide Squad 2 and really don't think a Harley Quinn movie is needed, even though Robbie is so freakin hot. action sequences were good story was pretty smooth character development was ok considering how many characters there were. I prefer Ledger Joker over Leto Joker. Ledger Joker wanted to watch Gotham burn and him be the match. Leto Joker seems like he wanted to rule Gotham. Too much glam to Leto Joker vs. Ledger Joker. But still a good performance.
Harmless is the most dangerous of perceptions, you never expect it to strike.-Purge

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: August 18, 2016, 12:18 AM »
I saw Suicide Squad...finally. (Anything after opening weekend is forever in fanboy terms).

It was okay. I think the rumors that the studio butchered it are true but the director has to play along. You rewatch the trailers and see how scenes got shortened or omitted.

I don't know what they spent all the $175 million budget on. A few helicopter crashes and CGI monsters? Will Smith, yeah. That, too. Having him as Deadshot got people in the seats, but unbalanced the the concept of a team movie towards his character.

Probably the weakest of the comic book movies I've seen this year, but they've all been underwhelming.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: August 18, 2016, 04:57 AM »
Jared Leto held a Q&A session recently and basically stated that he felt like he was tricked into playing the Joker in Suicide Squad.  He also went on to state that he shot enough footage for an entire movie, but the reality is that the Joker was only in Suicide Squad for some 15 minutes.

Just WTF is Warner Brothers/DC doing?  As much as I'd like some diversity in the realm of comic book films, I think that my strong feelings in favor of the whole Marvel Cinematic Universe continue to be validated by the missteps of these other studios.  There's some really strong source material with DC, just as there is with X-Men and Fantastic Four.  But when it comes to translating these properties into film franchises, what the hell are these studios thinking?
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: August 19, 2016, 08:08 PM »
Overthinking them.

Fantastic Four is not about body-horror. Dr. Doom is not part of their origin. Or shouldn't be.

How many times when an X-Men movie is released some one says "This is the real beginning of the X-Men" like it was every time before.

The Nolan Batman films were mostly good, but wrote a realism check that half of Batman's mythos cannot cash (even Catwoman felt silly in the third one), and new DC filmverse can't decide whether it wants to deposit that check or tear it in two.

Deadpool seemed to work, they didn't muck him up too much...the second time (X-Men Origins Wolverine). I say seemed, because I'm not that familiar with him.

Studios hiring  talented, up and coming directors then getting cold feet and re-edit the film, shoot new scenes, etc.

In regards to Leto and Suicide Squad, I don't know how much of a report of a report I believe. There's so much crap piled on the film.

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: August 19, 2016, 11:21 PM »
Plus Leto has admitted to have not seen the movie, so I wish he'd see it before commenting.

Offline Sprry75

• Jedi Apprentice
  • semper ubi sub ubi
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: August 23, 2016, 04:28 PM »
Blech. Suicide Squad sucked. I'll take comic book absurdity in comic book movies as long as you're not trying to cram down some sort of gritty realism.

That movie was so dumb.

It is cool and worth seeing, a little bit, but you can't do bull**** realism with silly comic book conventions. Oh really? a bomb would solve the problems but bombs need weirdo family friendly villains. It was dumb. I liked it, but it was so dumb. Pick a horse and ride it.
"Really?  Sorry."

Offline 77Skywalker

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: August 26, 2016, 10:07 PM »
Plus Leto has admitted to have not seen the movie, so I wish he'd see it before commenting.

I still kind of like Heath Ledger's Joker more.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: January 31, 2017, 09:14 AM »
VARIETY:  Ben Affleck Will Not Direct ‘The Batman’ (EXCLUSIVE)

More turmoil in the DC cinematic universe?  I can't say that I'm shocked.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback