Author Topic: A Game of Thrones (HBO)  (Read 249955 times)

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
Re: A Game of Thrones (HBO)
« Reply #825 on: August 24, 2017, 03:04 PM »
He'd need to know Jon was planning to kidnap a wight if he were setting a trap - something he couldn't possibly know.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #826 on: August 24, 2017, 05:06 PM »
It might also be part of the disconnected timeline.  Maybe the chains were retrieved from 100 miles away and the dragon pulled out over the course of several weeks.  The show made it seem like it happened immediately after the battle, but maybe it was a month later.

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #827 on: August 25, 2017, 08:09 AM »
It did seem like the White Walkers and army of the dead were leaving after Drogon flew away.  Maybe they have a base camp somewhere and the chains were there.
Common sense isn't so common

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #828 on: August 25, 2017, 10:11 AM »
The whole scene could have been much better and more logically executed.  The Night King does his "Come at me Bro" pose on the edge of the lake, and the dragon bursts out of the ice.  Woulda been totally badass, and no magic chains necessary.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #829 on: August 25, 2017, 02:31 PM »
At some point in the finale, Daenerys will return to Dragonstone where she can expect 6-8 inches of Snow.

I'll show myself out.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #830 on: August 25, 2017, 07:03 PM »
At some point in the finale, Daenerys will return to Dragonstone where she can expect 6-8 inches of Snow.

I'll show myself out.

Perhaps bigger.  It's called Long Claw for a reason.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #831 on: August 27, 2017, 07:43 PM »
Let's do this!

Predicting:

Death of a major character

Pivotal flashback sequence

Sam makes an appearance

Lots of Jon/Dany goo goo eyes

I'm ready!  ;D
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #832 on: August 27, 2017, 08:04 PM »
Pretty pumped.

I predict numerous deaths. Sam drops a Gilly bomb. Jon/Dany sitting in a tree...

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #833 on: August 27, 2017, 11:41 PM »
I'm actually a little bummed there aren't more major character deaths.  I don't know if the show writers feel paralyzed by RR Martin's lack of books to follow, or what.  I don't think there was a significant death this season.  Lots of B level players Sand Snakes, Oleana, Tarleys, etc., but nobody that really got more than a couple of minutes of screen time.

The finale was solid.  Loved the ice dragon taking it to The Wall.

I'll be interested to see how the Jon lineage stuff impacts the story.  It should throw Dany for a loop in a couple ways, and it may impact his loyal following in the north.  I'm guessing he gets his own dragon though...

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #834 on: August 28, 2017, 07:43 AM »
I'm actually a little bummed there aren't more major character deaths.  I don't know if the show writers feel paralyzed by RR Martin's lack of books to follow, or what.  I don't think there was a significant death this season.  Lots of B level players Sand Snakes, Oleana, Tarleys, etc., but nobody that really got more than a couple of minutes of screen time.

Uh, Littlefinger?  I like how that played out.  It didn't seem to take much for Sansa to convince Lord Royce to back her in her play against Lord Baelish.  And damn, did Arya handle that very quickly.

The finale was solid.  Loved the ice dragon taking it to The Wall.

I'll be interested to see how the Jon lineage stuff impacts the story.  It should throw Dany for a loop in a couple ways, and it may impact his loyal following in the north.  I'm guessing he gets his own dragon though...

I think you had to know that once the Night King re-animated Viserion that the dragon would factor into his attack on the wall.  I didn't totally get the blue dragon fire, but okay.  I also have to wonder if both Tormund and Beric Dondarion got far enough away from the collapsing section of the wall to survive.  It looked as if maybe that last mile where the Wall meets the sea came down, which was enough for the Army of the Dead to cross.

I was kind of surprised to see Sam turn up at Winterfell and meet up with Bran.  Although it did have the effect of showing that while Bran CAN know everything, it seems like there's more that has happened that he has yet to see, like the marriage of Rhaegar Targaryen and Lyanna Stark.  We've known about Jon's parentage for a full season now, but to learn that Jon's true name is Aegon was a bit of a surprise. 
« Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 07:44 AM by Nicklab »
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #835 on: August 28, 2017, 08:07 AM »
I still don't think littlefinger is that major of a character. I guess he is a little larger than the others, but I'm pretty sure everyone saw a showdown coming. I did like that scene but kind of hoped that it wasn't arya that did the deed. Or if she did it was in defense.

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #836 on: August 28, 2017, 08:20 AM »
Dude who played Rhaegar Targaryen was such a spitting image of Viserys that I thought they just used the same actor until I looked it up.

I'm certain Tormund survived - ended up on the west part of the wall just beyond what collapsed.  They wouldn't kill him off-screen.

Hooray for incest! 

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #837 on: August 28, 2017, 08:34 AM »
I nailed it!  :D

The best part to me was Qyburn's stiffy upon seeing the Wight. That is right up dude's alley.

Hound & Frankenmountain was awesome too, even if it was a fan tease for the Cleganening. (Which is so going to happen now)

Stark Long Con seemed a little far fetched, but I'll take it. I always thought of LF as a real wild card, so having him out of the way simplifies things considerably.

In fact, it seems like Cersei is pretty much the only one left screwing it all up now. Well, and Euron to a smaller degree. Even Jamie seems on board now. (but did we really need two almost identical "give the order" scenes with her brothers?)

I don't think you bring Beric back from the dead six times to have him die offscreen. And after all the times he's almost died, they wouldn't do Tormund like that either. Figure those 2 will show back up somehow. Maybe they got to a boat.

Of all the cool and interesting characters that have died, it baffles me why Theon is still around and gets screen time. NOONE CARES!!

I thought they said John's name was Aegar? I gotta go read the recap...
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #838 on: August 28, 2017, 09:21 AM »
I was a bit surprised that it took until now for Jaime to part ways with Cersei.  I thought that might have happened following Jaime nearly drowning in the Blackwater Rush.  But he stayed loyal (mostly) to Cersei for the whole season.  At least until Brienne spoke some truth to him, and Cersei having Frankenmountain draw his sword on Jaime.  He seems fully prepared to follow his own path and head north.  But clearly there's going to be a reckoning.  I was half expecting the Hound to take on Gregor, but that didn't happen.  And it looks like things will eventually come to a head between Jaime and Cersei.

Oh, and Qyburn is officially creepier than Bran.  Sure, Bran comes across as completely aloof.  But Qyburn was way too enamored of that Wight's wriggling hand.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 09:23 AM by Nicklab »
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #839 on: August 28, 2017, 10:17 AM »
Qyburn was expelled from being a Maester for practicing on the dead and dark things, so who knows how deep his love goes for dead things.  I would expect him to be studying/experimenting on the wight if they left it there.

A lot of this story is about family and redemption.  Theron is trying to make things right and is setting on the path to do so.  Jamie has been since meeting Brienne, but his judgment is cloud by his love for Cersei...

No direwolves though.