Collectibles > 30th Anniversary Collection

San Diego Comic-Con 2006

<< < (21/21)

JediMAC:
I guess my general summation would be that I was a bit disappointed with things as well.  As a carded and loose completist, it's hard to stomach many of the repaints/rehashes/re-releases/kitbashes.  Granted, that's obviously not Hasbro's fault for my obsessive compulsive buying habits, I know, and I do understand WHY they do it, but I tend to agree with others in here that they are going a bit overboard with the stuff.  I know they're running out of choices for both OT and Prequel figures these days, but there ARE still some new ones that could be made, and I think seeing something more along those lines would really appease folks right now (like the RS rumor list a while back).

This is obviously why the Impy Officer DS Conference set was the highlight for me.  I'm excited about the McQuarrie concept figures too, for some reason...  There were a couple nice figures kitbashed into the OT tin sets as well, and the Endor Troopers were cool, but I guess I was just hoping for a little more OT news, like some new Cantina or Jabba's Palace aliens...  But I guess this is something we'll all have to get used to, as well as the upcoming EU/gaming items that are obviously going to finally start playing a major role in the direction of the line.  I'm not much of an EU fan, but I'll play along with that stuff, as long as they sprinkle in a few things for us old timers in the process.

And that's really what we'll be seeing in the future, I think.  A lot of rehash/repaint/kitbashes, along with a good chunk of EU/Gaming/TV figures, and a sprinkling of OT and PT figures along the way.  Just a question of being patient, and if you have the ability, just picking up the things that you like (which I'm completely incapable of doing myself).

I do like the direction of the Unleashed Battle Packs line though.  I know a lot of people aren't fans of them, and have misplaced their anger over the 7" line's cancellation squarely on it's shoulders, but I think the new sets, and the "diorama-esque" factor this line has going for it, and the potential for larger environment pieces in the future, makes this line pretty cool, and potentially even better later on.

Tons of stuff on the way for the uber-comprehensive 3" Titanium Vehicle line too, so I'm digging what they showed for those as well.

Anyway, I was rather underwhelmed by this week's showings, but I think if I change my mindset and lower my expectations about the future of the line a bit, I'll be OK with a lot of the junk Hasbro's putting out...

ruiner:
I find it amusing that the privately held companies (MR and Sideshow specifically) have bellied up to the bar in regards to tooling investments.

Can you imagine the tooling cost for that 12" Jabba and throne?  Or how about the new Falcon from MR?

That stuff ain't cheap to make molds for - I can guarantee that.  And let us not forget about the lifesize droids! 

Sideshow is setting a new standard with the SW license - will it pay off?  Only time will tell.

Speak with your pocketbook.  2007 will be the year of Sideshow for me.

speedermike:
I wonder if MR and Sideshow see their production expenses as investments.  If they tool the Falcon correctly the first time, they'll own it for years and be able to eventually turn a good profit from it.  Whereas Hasbro wanst to profit instantly on each fig.  Who knows.  I'm not a business major.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version