Author Topic: Obi-Wan Kenobi Series (SPOILERS possible)  (Read 41481 times)

Offline Jedi Idej

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
Re: Kenobi (Disney+) - (SPOILERS possible)
« Reply #165 on: June 6, 2022, 08:16 PM »

Curious about the name. Until I hear different, I want to believe it's in honor of Ned Beatty.

It will be confirmed if the droid squeals like a pig.   :o

:-X

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: June 8, 2022, 04:39 PM »
Pretty interesting episode.  Some nitpicks but again, but just trying to ignore it and enjoy it.

I'll try to be vague about things so as to avoid spoilers.

I loved seeing a certain ship involved in the episode in a new environment.
One previously released figure made its live-action debut.
A Clone Wars character also makes his "live-action" debut
The front of Tala's Imperial shuttle definitely looked inspired by another sci-fi show's toasters.
« Last Edit: June 8, 2022, 05:08 PM by P-Siddy »

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: June 10, 2022, 10:44 AM »
Week 4 spoiler time ****

This week's episode was fine, but didn't really move the story along or develop the characters much.  I guess Obi-Wan's force powers started to come back more, Leia got rescued and a tracker got placed, but there could have been much simpler/faster ways to hit those plot points.  It was a "fun" adventure without any overly "dumb" moments.

It was fun seeing Purge Troopers and (snow)speeders in action.

I am curious about the tomb of Jedi at the bottom of the fortress.  Is it really just a tomb / trophy room, or might they be using the Jedi's DNA for more nefarious activities?

Part of me hopes that Tala survives another twenty years or so and can run in to Din Djarin and they can have a Game of Thrones reunion.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: June 10, 2022, 11:50 AM »
I got a different sense of things.  I feel like Obi-Wan was re-discovering himself.  From using the Force to draw that one piece of equipment towards him, to his infiltration of Fortress Inquisitorius. 

The tomb was chilling.  Especially seeing the first Jedi that Obi-Wan spots - Tera Sinube.  And then as he walks further through the room, it appears that some of them might just be people who were Force sensitive but never became Jedi.  And then the last one?  It seemed to bring it all the way around to Obi-Wan's discovery of the security recordings in the Jedi Temple on Coruscant.  Looking at them, it seemed like they had all been frozen in amber.  And it also gave me the sense that warehousing the captured Jedi like this might be part of the long term project of producing a Force sensitive clone at the behest of the Emporer.

I think Indira Varma has been brilliant as Tala.  The way she navigates the Imperial hierarchy was so masterful, from the way she dressed down the security officer to the way she deceived Reva.  And seeing her shuttle was cool, too.  For once we saw a pretty utilitarian Imperial shuttle - a basic transport.  And it looked a bit like a cross between the cockpit of the Zeta class cargo shuttles from ROGUE ONE, and the Phantom from STAR WARS REBELS.

There's just one nitpick that I've had about the last two episodes.  And it has to do with Obi-Wan's lightsaber.  It's REALLY bright!  And the shade of blue is pretty deep.  This is one place where I find it a little distracting.  I can certainly bear in mind that he's been using it in dark environments, and that's a consideration to keep in mind.  But I'm also cognizant that as a production technique the shows have been using the lightsabers as an on-set lighting source.  That was abundantly clear in the episode from season 2 of The Mandalorian, "The Jedi", with Ahsoka's lightsabers in most of her fighting scenes.  I think this is part of what makes the pace of production on these shows faster - on-set lighting techniques like the new lightsabers means less time in post-production and visual effects.  But fine tuning that practical lighting element might be in order for future projects.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #169 on: June 10, 2022, 12:32 PM »
Other than Tera Sinube (he was the Jedi Master that helped younglings get their first kyber crystal on Illum), the only one I think that was meant to be recognized was the woman who was the wife of Ice-Cube's son mentioned before they went to the Fortress Inquisitorious.  BTW, it's clear that the writers played Jedi Fallen Order because they pretty much hit all the beats of that level in the game!  Not a complaint....it was awesome to see as well as the Force Unleashed callback of Obi-Wan taking out the Stormtroopers in the dark.

I was surprised to see so many critiques online that this was a filler episode.  I don't see it that way at all.  Thoroughly enjoying this show and can't wait to see what happens next.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: June 10, 2022, 01:16 PM »
Filler?  That’s a bunch of bull**** if I ever heard it.  This episode advanced a number of plot lines.  Obi-Wan coming back into his own after his confrontation with Vader.  Reva’s ambition and the backstabbing between the Inquisitors.  And a discovery of Leia’s true strength, even as a child. 

Feedback

Offline Qui-Gon Jim

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: June 10, 2022, 01:54 PM »
The toxic negativity of every online fandom is almost suffocating. 

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #172 on: June 13, 2022, 09:28 AM »
The toxic negativity of every online fandom is almost suffocating.

Truth!
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: June 13, 2022, 10:41 AM »
Sites like this are a stark contrast to the social media "hot takes".  I see far more reasoned conversations about new media and it's refreshing.

As for where the series goes in the next episode?  It feels pretty wide open, and I'm excited to see how things develop - bright lightsabers or not!

Feedback

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: June 13, 2022, 03:34 PM »
 Nobody gonna say anything about the Little Rascals move of slipping Leia under the trench coat?  ;D

I’ll admit, I didn’t really bat an eye at it but Twitter was not amused lol.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: June 13, 2022, 04:23 PM »
Nobody gonna say anything about the Little Rascals move of slipping Leia under the trench coat?  ;D

I thought it worked well.  There's a technique to hide in a crowd called being the grey man.  The point is that you wear similar clothes to the average person, don't do anything to stand out and you are able to move through a crown unnoticed.  People tend to look for differences.  Obi-Wan wearing the hat and coat could be enough for him to not stand out too much.  Walking through that crowd with a kid by your side would get you noticed, but having her hide under the coat takes that away.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Jedi Idej

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: June 13, 2022, 06:08 PM »

Twittter, reddit, everywhere, it seems like. Probably 2nd in criticism only to Vader and Obi Wan's first meeting since Mustafar. (Never mind the remaining parts in this series and 10 years before their DS battle for another duel to take place.)

As for Leia and Ben going unnoticed in their walk through a crowd of Imperials, I chalked it up to Obi Wan using Jedi mind tricks. Not soft-tossed to us, but we already know how persuasive he can be.

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #177 on: June 14, 2022, 09:49 AM »
Meh...I've seen worse disguises.

-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: June 15, 2022, 10:47 PM »
I thought this week’s episode was by far the best.   :D

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: June 15, 2022, 11:42 PM »
Me watching Episode V:

:o
This is the way.

I have spoken.