Collectibles > Vintage Kenner

Netflix Documentary Series - The Toys That Made Us

(1/2) > >>

Nicklab:
Have Netflix?  Then you really need to check out their new series about toys, called The Toys That Made Us.  The first episode in the series covers a topic near and dear to us all:  STAR WARS! 

The inaugural episode in the series chronicles how the toy license for Star Wars was initially shopped, and how a relatively small company like Kenner was able to negotiate the rights to produce Star Wars toys.  It features interviews with many former Kenner execs, some Kenner employees that went on to work for Hasbro, as well as some high profile collectors like Steve Sansweet and Gus Lopez.  It's some pretty good stuff to take in.  Especially how Kenner let extremely favorable rights to the license lapse in 1986, leading to a renegotiation that changed everything!  Check it out.

Nicklab:
Check out trailers at Netflix Original:  The Toys That Made Us.

Darby:
Saw the SW episode yesterday and it was a lot of fun.

Corman:
The GI Joe episode is really solid, too.

Corman

Phrubruh:
I'm surprised on how cheaply Kenner got the Star Wars license. I remember how stupid Hasbro was for not renewing it just prior to Episode 1. It kind of explains the amount of crap we got that year.

The Barbie episode was pretty good too. I didn't know she was based on a German hooker doll. Who the heck gives his girl friend a hooker doll?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version