Author Topic: The Book of Boba Fett (SPOILERS possible)  (Read 15019 times)

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
Re: The Book of Boba Fett
« Reply #45 on: December 30, 2021, 11:13 PM »

If the rumors are true and the Disney+ shows are going to tell a version of the Heir tot the Empire series from Timothy Zahn, they could be setting up Boba Fett to be the Talon Karrde roll.

I’d love to see how Heir to the Empire could jive with the sequel trilogy… have Thrawn take over for Episode 10 instead of after ROTJ?

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #46 on: December 31, 2021, 12:59 AM »
I’d love to see how Heir to the Empire could jive with the sequel trilogy… have Thrawn take over for Episode 10 instead of after ROTJ?

Rob,

I don't know if you have read the newer, canon, Timothy Zahn Thrawn novels.  In these books, he's more of an anti-hero and his primary goal of joining the Empire is to get a strong ally for the Chiss Ascendancy to fight a greater threat in the unknown reasons known as the Grysk.  Zahn has done a great job intertwining this with his appearances in Rebels and the latest trilogy, which takes place during the latter days of the Clone Wars is really fleshing this out.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 31, 2021, 11:41 AM »
I read the Thrawn Trilogy, but haven’t read the new Ascendency Trilogy yet.  And that stuff to me is quite different from Heir where he’s kind of taking the reigns of the Imperial Navy and trying to re-establish the empire.  Certainly they could have him be part of the rise of the First Order if they wanted to… but it seems like anything resembling the old trilogy other than Thrawn’s existence would be long gone by the time they were done.

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 31, 2021, 12:15 PM »
And my eye must be adjusted to the Volume and it's tricks now too, because there were a few times out in the high desert that things looked like a stage.

Yeah, there were a few effects items that stood out for me as well that seemed off.  One was the hole in the sand that Boba climbed out of.  You could see the metallic rim in a few spots.  Another was the Rodian, who had a tear in the side of his outfit that exposed his skin, but it looked like the skin was attached to the outfit... it didn't look natural.  I believe there was something else, but it's slipped my mind.  When it comes to effects, I've always considered LFL as the cutting edge, not cutting corners.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 31, 2021, 01:55 PM »
I finally watched it last night and liked it. I do agree with a good bit of what has been said already.

He should be more bad assed and ruthless for sure. The thing that was most puzzling was not disintegrating the churlish Mayor’s lackey. They should have sent him back in several small boxes.

I didn’t mind all the flashbacks really, but what bother me most was the writing in some places. For a dude that never talked, he talks too much now. The exchange about it being “weird” about accepting tribute from a former employer was an example.

I feel like the thing they really need to explain is how he got from pretty Daniel Logan to horribly scarred up Boba. He practically looked like Deadpool under there! And that would be all pre ROTJ assumably.

Anyway, the thing with Boba for me has always been the allure of mystery. The more they reveal about the character, the less fascinating he becomes. Same thing happened with Maul. But the series has all kinds of potential to be fun and entertaining though.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 31, 2021, 03:15 PM »
I was just assuming all that damage was from stewing in sarlaac stomach acid long enough for Jabba’s sail barge to stop smoldering.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 31, 2021, 06:54 PM »
So about the show… I’m trying not to form an opinion so early.  I’m pretty sure it’ll find its footing as the story develops, but it wasn’t an amazing first episode. 

Another hard left turn for a beloved character… lots of familiar but oddly altered things… Tusken Raiders in fancy outfits… Gamorrean Guards without their furry outfits… a skinny guy going into the sarlaac and a fat guy coming out of it… that sand monster at the end was an odd design to me… too Ray Harryhausen and not Star Wars enough.

Surrounded by guys with shields and electro-staffs while wearing a jet pack?  I guess flying right over them isn’t an option…

I’m also confused timeline wise about his armor… Jawas take it right away, but then he has it back?  Did I look away while he got it back?  Because this is all presumably earlier than when he gets it back from Mando yeah?  Was the timeline jumping back and forth in ways I wasn’t picking up on?  He has that Bacta Pod and stuff ready to go pretty quickly for a guy who was just meeting people for the first time as crime boss…

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 31, 2021, 07:03 PM »

Another hard left turn for a beloved character… lots of familiar but oddly altered things… Tusken Raiders in fancy outfits… Gamorrean Guards without their furry outfits… a skinny guy going into the sarlaac and a fat guy coming out of it… that sand monster at the end was an odd design to me… too Ray Harryhausen and not Star Wars enough.

All I could think of with that creature was Boba Fett was fighting the Kraken from Clash of the Titans!

I’m also confused timeline wise about his armor… Jawas take it right away, but then he has it back?  Did I look away while he got it back?  Because this is all presumably earlier than when he gets it back from Mando yeah?  Was the timeline jumping back and forth in ways I wasn’t picking up on?  He has that Bacta Pod and stuff ready to go pretty quickly for a guy who was just meeting people for the first time as crime boss…

I think it's a safe bet that the flashbacks we see for the rest of the season is his time with the Tusken Raiders.  My guess is that he spends a few years with them and then he goes looking for his armor.  Odd that he knew in Mando Season 2 that Cobb Vanth had it, but he didn't try to get it from him.  I hope we see a good resolution to that.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 1, 2022, 06:57 AM »
WOW.

I am seriously wondering if this show might be facing similar kinds of challenges to the prequel trilogy.  Boba Fett is such a beloved character that I think a lot of people have gone into this series with their own head-canon.  Can this show possibly live up to fan expectations?
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Qui-Gon Jim

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 3, 2022, 08:21 AM »
WOW.

I am seriously wondering if this show might be facing similar kinds of challenges to the prequel trilogy.  Boba Fett is such a beloved character that I think a lot of people have gone into this series with their own head-canon.  Can this show possibly live up to fan expectations?
Nailed it.  This is one episode of a TVs show.  We need to wait to see how this unfolds.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 3, 2022, 01:36 PM »
WOW.

Great points Nick, and one' I've been making to other fans.  Boba Fett had under 7 minutes of screen time in the OT.  He's popular because we were able to project our ideas onto him.  I'm sure there will be division in the fandom over this show, some loving it and some hating it, because of our projections onto the character. 

I hope we can all set aside our head canon biases and just enjoy the new Star Wars content.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 5, 2022, 09:37 AM »
Patton Oswalt's filibuster that he improved on Parks & Rec in 2013 has been making the rounds in light of the way the series began.  And you can't help but think that Jon Favreau wanted to begin the series with a bit of good natured self awareness!

My kid has a delayed opening for school on account of the weather, so we just watched the second episode.  Where do you even begin????

Some great nods to the OT, EU and even some ANH deleted scenes.  A surprising character from the new run of Star Wars in Marvel Comics turned up.  And Jon Favreau continues to delve into the genres that inspired George Lucas as he was conceiving of Star Wars.  This episode has so many nods to the Western genre, and it's really well done.  Plus there was a scene that was an homage to one particular Ralph McQuarrie concept illustration.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 5, 2022, 10:02 AM »
I have yet to watch the 2nd episode, but when you mentioned the comics, I got to thinking if a Doctor Aphra show would be interesting.  I haven't read any of those comics, but it seems she's pretty popular if she and her 2 companions were made in both lines.  Just a thought...

Online Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #58 on: January 5, 2022, 07:53 PM »
Episode 2.

Loved the current timeline parts, loved the flashback parts. But I guess I am pretty easy to please on these Disney+ shows.  :)

Loved the deep cut easter eggs and character cameos.  Loved the homage to the old west train robbery movies. 

SPOILERS
SPOILERS
SPOILERS
SPOILERS
SPOILERS
SPOILERS

I do have to admit I am now a little freaked out about the possibility of my son's anole breaking out of the terrarrium and "guiding me". That's gonna traumatize some kids the way the earbugs from ST2:WofKHAN! freaked out so many kids my age. ;)
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 5, 2022, 11:47 PM »
A much, MUCH better episode than last week. The "modern" portion was intriguing and left me wanting more, although the mayor's majordomo is still pretty cringeworthy and doesn't "fit" into Star Wars. Boba building his gaffi stick was the coolest part of the flashback to me. Don't want to post too many spoilers so I'll post some more thoughts later.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks