Author Topic: Walmart TVC "Original 96" Exclusives  (Read 19823 times)

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
Re: Walmart TVC "Original 96" Exclusives
« Reply #75 on: May 11, 2021, 09:37 AM »
The OTC Lobot was a great likeness, but a huge pegwarmer.  This is one instance where I absolutely do not care if it's a Walmart exclusive.  Each of those WM exclusive TVC figures is shipping in solid cases, so they can finesse the distribution numbers and favor the other couple of figures in that wave.

They could....but they won't.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2021, 03:24 PM by Matt_Fury »
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 11, 2021, 02:32 PM »
They're doing that with the first Original 96 wave.  Hasbro explicitly stated that they're solid packing Endor Leia, Paploo and the AT-ST Driver in their own cases.  And they're going to release more AT-ST Drivers than the other figures.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #77 on: May 11, 2021, 10:49 PM »
They’re not (yet) doing Lobot according to any rumors...  paploo, Endor Leia, atst, Endor Luke, sandperson (? I counted him as done personally), and DSD are the 6 “we’ve gotta get this **** done” figures.  Potf I’m betting maybe happen on regular TVC cards not special ones like that Yak (never know tho) and so there’s a fair bit left to do...  ugnaughts, bespin guard(s), Hammerhead....  if sandperson is an indication then Greedo would need redone, anh Han and Luke if I’m not mistaken, Leia too....  if they’re not counting the votc/vtsc and all that.  I did, but hey, sandperson. 🤷‍♂️

I dunno...  this could get stupid kinda fast, all for card backs. 😕
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 11, 2021, 11:39 PM »
Why was the Tusken Raider part of this push anyway?  Wasn’t he one of the first TVC figures? 

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 12, 2021, 12:29 AM »
The TVC hardliners don't include the VOTC/VSTC figures as a part of the VTC collection because they don't have TVC numbers, even if they were on Vintage cards and really were the precursor to the TVC line itself. I don't keep track myself because  don't collect packaged figures, but for sure the original Star Wars card Han, Luke, Leia will all need redone/rereleased in the TVC line to complete the 96. I'm not sure what the position is on Threepio, he has only been on an ESB card so far, right? Artoo and Chewie made it out in TVC on Star Wars cards in 2019...I don't have a vested interest in keeping track, but the people who do have  list that they are ticking off from what I understand.

Judging by General Lando, Endor Luke, and Stormtrooper Luke (can't think of any others off the top of my head) the POTF card is not necessary for the figure to be counted as a good enough update to check off the figure as done for the 96. The Imperial Gunner is a sticky one, since he was issued on a Rogue One card. They might call that one a "needs to be redone."

It just seems like there are still a lot of figures to go to have the 96 on TVC cards, and many many many of them will be reissues of figures from the last 20 years. There is just a handful that can be classified as "never updated from the Kenner figure." Greedo, IG88, Bossk, Scout Trooper, Hoth Han need reissued from VSTC. Lots and lots need pulled forward from the modern era. Sticky points like "does the FX-7 mold from POTJ still exist? How about 8-D8 and EV-9D9 from POTF2?" make the prospect of recarding all these things muddy at best. New tooling is hard to come by these days, my mouth waters over the prospect of a new Hammerhead sculpt or Amanaman, but do we really want it used for another General Madine or 2-1B?
« Last Edit: May 12, 2021, 12:30 AM by Muftak »

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #80 on: May 12, 2021, 02:31 AM »
I’d take 21B...  Lobot, with all due respect to the Duplex, is one that I just have a hard time imagining how they do it.  Especially now that they’re upping the ante of sorts, by updating the Sandperson sculpt to be more TVC-esque.

I feel like anything they did update has to be at least as nice as Snaggletooth...  that means basically Lobot needs at minimum new arms and legs.

So much of this stuff I could live without... 
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 12, 2021, 09:58 AM »
The TVC hardliners don't include the VOTC/VSTC figures as a part of the VTC collection because they don't have TVC numbers, even if they were on Vintage cards and really were the precursor to the TVC line itself.

Hasbro doesn't count them either.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 12, 2021, 10:19 AM »
Thanks for the explainer... I guess since I open everything I never paid that much attention to how they count these things.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 12, 2021, 10:40 AM »
The TVC hardliners don't include the VOTC/VSTC figures as a part of the VTC collection because they don't have TVC numbers, even if they were on Vintage cards and really were the precursor to the TVC line itself. I don't keep track myself because  don't collect packaged figures, but for sure the original Star Wars card Han, Luke, Leia will all need redone/rereleased in the TVC line to complete the 96. I'm not sure what the position is on Threepio, he has only been on an ESB card so far, right? Artoo and Chewie made it out in TVC on Star Wars cards in 2019...I don't have a vested interest in keeping track, but the people who do have  list that they are ticking off from what I understand.

Judging by General Lando, Endor Luke, and Stormtrooper Luke (can't think of any others off the top of my head) the POTF card is not necessary for the figure to be counted as a good enough update to check off the figure as done for the 96. The Imperial Gunner is a sticky one, since he was issued on a Rogue One card. They might call that one a "needs to be redone."

It just seems like there are still a lot of figures to go to have the 96 on TVC cards, and many many many of them will be reissues of figures from the last 20 years. There is just a handful that can be classified as "never updated from the Kenner figure." Greedo, IG88, Bossk, Scout Trooper, Hoth Han need reissued from VSTC. Lots and lots need pulled forward from the modern era. Sticky points like "does the FX-7 mold from POTJ still exist? How about 8-D8 and EV-9D9 from POTF2?" make the prospect of recarding all these things muddy at best. New tooling is hard to come by these days, my mouth waters over the prospect of a new Hammerhead sculpt or Amanaman, but do we really want it used for another General Madine or 2-1B?

There definitely seems to be a kind of purity test in some TVC groups about a number of issues.  And it's a little over the top, at least from my perspective.

Regarding the Original 96?  I just want the FIGURES made in order to get that sense of completion.  This obsession with them all being on TVC cards seems just like that - an obsession.  Now some of the most extreme of them are demanding figures on POTF cards, and I just start to shake my head at the shifting goalposts with these people.

When Derryl DePriest ran the Star Wars team he spoke quite freely about what he just regarded as "Vintage".  Notably, people would ask at events about "bringing Vintage back", and to Derryl that always included the VOTC and VTSC releases.  So when TVC launched in 2008, Derryl basically said that Hasbro was bringing Vintage back.  And to me that just seemed like a natural continuation of those earlier releases in terms of the packaged presentation as well as the sculpting and articulation aesthetics.  But some people just got so ******* hung up on it being a numbered line of figures that they can't see beyond the numbers.

Not all of those VOTC releases were perfect, and there's room for some improvement on some of them.  Sculpting and articulation have definitely improved.  But the demands of some collectors now seem over the top, wondering why the most un-action-like figures don't have rocker ankle joints. 
« Last Edit: May 12, 2021, 10:41 AM by Nicklab »

Feedback

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 12, 2021, 11:28 AM »
I remember this all started out as getting a modern version of the original 96 regardless of packaging.  Granted, that was before modern figures were released on vintage style cards.

For me (generally an opener), I do not care about the package the figure comes in.  I just want the best version of each character to display in my collection room, plus army builders.  Not only the original 96 (I didn't even have all of the original 96 as a kid!), but from the Prequels and the Disney era as well!  I love all these characters and want them immortalized in plastic figures approximately 3.75 inches tall depending on the relative size to the other characters.

Is that too much to ask for?  :D
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #85 on: May 12, 2021, 11:38 AM »
Yeah I'm in the same boat, I don't care which package it's in. I just want outstanding figures. Pack it in a dirty diaper for all I care.
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 24, 2021, 09:54 AM »
I got a shipping notice for Leia, Paploo, and the AT-ST Driver. 

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #87 on: June 24, 2021, 10:39 AM »
I've heard people are getting shipping notices for these. Nothing yet in my inbox.
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 24, 2021, 11:33 AM »
I've been seeing similar reports.  But with all of the preorders that I have that are scheduled for a July release, I haven't seen any charges hit my cards.

Feedback

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 24, 2021, 11:36 AM »
I got the shipping notice too. Hope they don’t arrive all mangled.