Author Topic: Gregorbian's Customs - UPDATE 07/04/06  (Read 65766 times)

Offline jedistyle

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
Re: Gregorbian's Customs - UPDATE 12/29/05
« Reply #240 on: December 29, 2005, 04:26 PM »
those are very cool Gregorbian and very original, the back story really adds to the figures! great use of the dooku bady and nice custom weapons.
=jEdIsTyLe=
---------------------------------------------------------
" The first soap was made from the ashes of hero's, with out pain, with out sacrifice, we would have nothing."

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: December 29, 2005, 04:58 PM »
Replied more in the Monthly Customizing Challenge thread - these are just sick.  Very awesome, and I'm so glad you have been able to come back here lately.

:P

Offline Fritzkrieg

• Jedi Padawan
  • Don't make me destroy you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: December 29, 2005, 05:10 PM »
Thats a great looking set of
Characters you've got there!

I like the color scheme and you did an excellent job on the Pin stripeing.

These Guys remind me of a Very Imperial like Navy that apeared in one of the Old "Battlestar Galactica" Episodes. I can't think of their name but I'll look it up and get back to you on that. What did you use for the shoulder pads?

The Sgt. is my favorite. His Bionic Claw Really gives his Character some history and creates interest. Did you make these guys for a Photo Novel?

The custom weapons are a nice touch. You modified the real world weapons just enough to give them that Star Wars
feel.

My only Critique is their Helmets seem to Real World for my taste,  maybey you could modify them. Try adding some antennae, or mabey some type of Crest or Ornament.

Great work can't wait to see more,

Fritzkrieg

Fritzkrieg

Offline Joe

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: December 29, 2005, 06:19 PM »
I can see the Imperial Guard ness in them.They look pretty darn good.
Talking about Cadian shockers   I got a 20 pack for christmas and are gluin' the last few as we speak!Nice to know theres a fellow warhammer 40k lover here.

I might have to "steal" this idea if you don't mind.   That sparks another idea in my mind........1:18 scale warhammer 40k!
« Last Edit: December 29, 2005, 06:20 PM by NoMercyJoe »
Cheers!

- Joe

Offline Gregorbian

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I gotta get to Buckethead's Toy Store!
    • View Profile
    • Gregorbian's Photobucket
« Reply #244 on: December 29, 2005, 06:43 PM »
I'm glad you guys like 'em!  I've been wanting to do some more Warhammer 40k stuff for a while, so I figured I might as well just make 'em as Star Wars characters  :P
I agree that the helmets seem a bit too "real worldly" but I kinda like that aspect - I wanted to keep 'em as close to Cadian Shocktroopers as was practicable and as much as my limited customizing abilities would allow. 
I do like Fritzkrieg's idea of a crest or emblem though, what would you guys recommend?

NoMercyJoe - I used to be hardcore into Warhammer (technically the first "customs" that I ever made).  When I was into Warhammer (about 7 or 8 years ago) most of the pieces were pewter and the plastic guys were very limited in terms of what you could do.  Whenever I stop by the Games Workshop store to pick up supplies I'm always tempted to pick up that plastic Cadian Shocktrooper set - they look so cool!
The scariest thing that I've ever seen,
Is the terrible AT-AT walking machine.
It's as big as a house on walking legs,
and whatever it steps on it crushes like eggs.

Offline hemble

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Ron's military models and custom figures
« Reply #245 on: December 29, 2005, 06:48 PM »
Hi Mate

your 12" figures are great you've done an awesome job on them and the guardsmen are awesome the military looking paint apps are very well done they actually remind of the 40k guardsman.

Ron

Offline Gregorbian

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: December 29, 2005, 07:06 PM »
they actually remind of the 40k guardsman.
Awesome!  That's what I was going for! Thanks  ;D

Offline Commander_Miseria

• Jedi Initiate
  • "Touching from a distance further all the time..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: December 31, 2005, 01:18 AM »
Wow those are awesome! totally right about the guardsmen look they definitely remind me of the old cadians and mordian(sp?) guards. the first dooku definitely looks like a Commissar of sorts! Also wanted to say i definitely like what you've done with the m16 looking pistols. Awesome stuff Gregorbian

Offline Gregorbian

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Gregorbian's Customs - UPDATE 01/04/06
« Reply #248 on: January 4, 2006, 09:42 PM »
Here are a couple of Microman customs that I've been working on for the past week:

Version 2 of my SA Scout Trooper Microman:
Before

After

"Hrmmm, where did those blasted Rebels go?"

SA Stormtrooper Microman:

"I don't know who shut off the Tractor Beam"

Sleeping on the job...

Any thoughts/critiques/questions are most appreciated!

Offline Jediknight760071

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: January 4, 2006, 09:55 PM »
They look great. About how long does each figure take you?

Oh..and where are you getting the Microman figures...I'm thinking of tryng this.

Offline jedistyle

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: January 4, 2006, 10:05 PM »
those are awsome, i really like the stormtrooper. what micro-man did you use for the base and where are you geting the armor from?

great update and very creative.
« Last Edit: January 4, 2006, 10:06 PM by jedistyle »
=jEdIsTyLe=
---------------------------------------------------------
" The first soap was made from the ashes of hero's, with out pain, with out sacrifice, we would have nothing."

Offline Gregorbian

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: January 4, 2006, 10:11 PM »
Thanks for the feedback  ;D

jediknight760071 - It usually takes about 4 to 6 hours to make a figure, from start to finish.  Most of the work is on dremelling the armor pieces to fit, although for the stormtrooper it took forever to attach his armor pieces since I ran out of my good superglue and I had to use some crappy generic glue. 
I get the Microman figures from various places, I bought a bunch from KB Toys and Suncoast, and then I ordered some more online (from www.smalljoes.com I think)

jedistyle - I forget the exact Microman that I used, but I think it was "Acroyear" or something like that.  They are pretty plain figures which is good.  I also use the Micromen figures from KB Toys, although you have to dremel off a lot of their armor and stuff.
The armor for the Biker Scout is just a vintage Biker Scout with all of the "armor" pieces separated and dremeled down to individual pieces.
The armor for the Stormtrooper was a Commtech Stormtrooper (I bought a bunch of unassembled Commtech Stormies on eBay a while ago).  I dremelled down the armor pieces to fit the Microman figure.  I also used a Gentle Giant Bust-Ups Stormtrooper helmet and shoulderpads. 

Hope this helps, I can't wait to see your version!

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: January 4, 2006, 10:14 PM »
Once again, your talents floor me Gregorbian.  Every time I think I'm getting better at customizng, someone comes along and pushes me to the ground like the little runt I was in second grade.   ;)

I think both are excellent and a testament to how creative you are.  The only thing I think you could improve, might be to paint that Stormtrooper bust up helmet a brighter white - maybe spray paint it, then fill in the fine details with black paint.

Excellent work, some of your best yet.  The dremeling out is perfectly done and no figure in the Star Wars line will probably ever be this articulated.  I hope Hasbro can see your work for inspiration.

:P

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: January 4, 2006, 10:51 PM »
Wow! I've got to try doing this. That looks like a huge amount of dremeling out. Did you nick any of the armor as you worked? How do you hold the armor piece as you dremel? Do you have a special clamp? Please don't tell me you hold each piece with your fingers. :o
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Gregorbian

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: January 4, 2006, 11:48 PM »
CHEWIE - Thanks a lot for the (unwarranted) praise and feedback!  You're right about the stormie helmet, I think I'll paint it.   ;D

Master_Phruby - I highly recommend trying some of these.  They're a lot of fun!  I didn't really nick any of the armor when I was dremeling, although I had to trim down the Stormtrooper boots a bit more than I had initially intended because I dremeled a bit too much. 
No clamp for me, just my index/thumb finger combo  ;)  It's actually not that bad on the larger pieces, but when you're doing knee/elbow pads it can get a little rough.  Luckily the friction burns when I slip or dremel too close go away pretty quickly, so they don't slow me down too much  ;D  The biggest problem with dremeling and holding the piece is that if you lose your grip the piece goes flying.  I ended up making 3 knee pads for my biker scout because one of them shot to some random corner of the room.