Author Topic: King Kong  (Read 5176 times)

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
Re: King Kong
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2005, 01:13 PM »
PJ really made the Carl Denham character an ass-hole.  Which he really wasn't in the original film.  Minor gripe since I liked his character in the '33 version, as well as the old Son of Kong movie.

Was it the same actor in Son of Kong?

It's funny, I think the original character was superficial enough to leave room for interpretation because he came off to me kind of - sees the bottom line as #1 - kind of guy which means a-hole to me. But, you're right, Jack Black's version went deeper and darker. I kind of dug it to a point, but I do think that it's a flaw of the film that he didn't walk away from the expeince too affected.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2005, 05:53 PM »
Yes, it was the same guy.  So was the captain of the Venture as well.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Cory Chaos

• Jedi Initiate
  • Musically Inclined
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2005, 04:12 AM »
I caught it at a THX Certified Megaplex this evening. In my opinion, it's far from flawless. It was certainly WAY too long, thanks in great part to padded action scenes and jungle chases that were nothing more than a showcase for WETA, which was quite frankly somewhat sloppy at times. My other major gripe was in making King Kong into the Frankenstein monster in the way of compassion and understanding. It was just too heavy handed, the whole "gorillas have feelings, too" message.

To its credit, it was cast accordingly, filmed beautifully, and Naomi Watts certainly held her own in recalling Faye Wray. Had it been condensed, which in turn would have made it more effective, Jackson dropping the predisposition to making LOTR length films, it probably would have kept me more entrigued.

Having said that, it was still a great movie, even if it did feel like a summer blockbuster with an unnecessarily epic run time.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 16, 2005, 09:57 AM »
I actually felt that if it was longer it could have been better because what I missed were some character details after they got to the island. If those were added, I would have been happy to sit though another hour. I agree some of the action sequences were too long and quite frankly wore me out, I haven't figure out a good fix for those yet. What I thought was funny about the running time was that King King moved faster for me at 3 hours than The Squid and the Whale did at 1 1/2 (excellent movie BTW.)

I've always felt that the Frankenstein thing was the whole crux of the King King story though. I went in hoping for it. :P

One of my major gripes was that the Captain kept coming to the rescue on the island and the first time wasn't very motivated. I think that's a sticking point just because that's a story flaw I've personaly learned to recognize and correct with my own work. I would have corrected it in Kong by having the first mate rescue the film crew at the tribal thing, he was at least semi-motivated to do it. I think it would have been a greater character moment for the Captain to rescue them at the log scene showing that he's broken down to care what happens to the others. Sure it would have stole a little thunder to the actors momment, but I think they could have shared the moment.

I still LOVED the movie though.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2005, 10:05 AM by Darth_Anton »
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2005, 12:28 AM »
Saw it yesterday, and besides the length and the annoying talkers behind me, I loved it.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2005, 12:41 AM »
I saw Kong today, and I was absolutley blown away. I went into the movie with 0 expectations, because I saw that there was a Dinosaur Vs Kong scene, and having seen the T-Rex bite it back in JP3, I'm no longer keen on T-Rex's being in movies. It's just a thing I have.

Anyway, that movie had so many suprising moments in it, I litteraly got so excited I had to pee, three times.

Wow.

What a phenominal movie.

Jack Black pulled off his charachter amazingly. I actually believed him.

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Cory Chaos

• Jedi Initiate
  • Musically Inclined
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2005, 12:55 AM »
I went into the movie with 0 expectations, because I saw that there was a Dinosaur Vs Kong scene, and having seen the T-Rex bite it back in JP3, I'm no longer keen on T-Rex's being in movies. It's just a thing I have.

Spoilers Below...
Kong did have to take on *A* T-Rex in the original, not the 3 or 4 in PJ's re-invisioning, which was unnecessary, and lent to the whole "blockbuster" cliche battle sequence of "King Kong". So, it was faithful to the original in a good many instances, just not in the one where the 1933 version clocked in at just under 100 minutes.

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 19, 2005, 09:53 AM »
Didn't he have to fight Allosaurus's (or what passed for Allosaurus's back then) in the 1933 picture?

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...