Author Topic: LOTR Extended DVD cuts to be released theatrically for December marathon  (Read 7326 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Woohoo, looks like I can just sit on the throne the whole time :)

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
I think it's an interesting idea but I could not sit that long through it.  All 3 back-to-back-to-back?  Plus I am not the hugest LOTR fan.  I do like it and all.  I could possibly do it for Star Wars though.  But even that may test my patience.  

Offline Snively Bandar

• Jedi Initiate
  • Hug a llama today!
    • View Profile
Anyone heard anything further on this possibility?  I love movie marathons, and aside from the OT, it doesn't get any better than LOTR.   8)

Offline jadesfire

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Driving down to Milwaukee to see both extended cuts the first two Saturdays of December and then the midnight showing in Kenosha for ROTK.  I could have gotten tickets for trilogy Tuesday when I bought my other ones but I couldn't convince anyone to sit with me for 10 hours!!

From what I understand most (if not all) trilogy Tuesday tickets are sold out in all participating theatres.  I haven't checked at TORN officially but that was what I read online at the LOTR forums.
Beth

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
yeah, is there some kind of list of theaters who are having this marathon? i called one of the theaters close to my house, and i could swear the high school girl on the other end of the phone was just laughing at me....  :-\

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
Well, I don't have any idea on how many places are going to get the LOTR deal, because I think they ultimately opened it up to a bunch more than ten cities (I'll just say this--Oklahoma City got it.  And if Oklahoma City got it, then pretty much every other city in the country should have gotten it, too).  I'm pretty sure one of the LOTR fan-sites has got a list up of all the places that will have it, but I'm pretty sure everything's sold out by now.

However, a couple months ago, Universal did an extremely-limited re-release of Scarface for the 20th anniversary and the DVD, and that was limited to ten cities, much like the LOTR thing was originally supposed to be.

So, just for comparison:

So, just for fun, here's my guess-timated list.  We'll see if I was close at all when they announce the cities eventually:

• New York City
  • Los Angeles
  • Chicago
  • Philadelphia
  • Dallas/Houston
  • Phoenix
  • San Francisco
  • Atlanta/Jacksonville
  • Baltimore/Washington D.C.
  • Seattle
  • Scott Pearson's house

The theatrical engagements of "Scarface" will take place in New York, Los Angeles, Boston, Chicago, Philadelphia, Washington D.C., Detroit, Dallas, Miami and San Francisco.

Well, not bad.  Can't really compare them that much, because they're two different movies, but overall, I guess if you could theoretically release a movie to the ten largest cities, I didn't do too poorly (and if I was trying to guess which cities for Scarface, I definitely would have picked Miami--you'd have to be nuts not to re-release that movie there.)

(And as far as I know, Scott Pearson's house got neither the LOTR trilogy or Scarface. . .)   :-[
« Last Edit: November 15, 2003, 02:27 AM by Virex »
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
Oh, and if Scott would have been picking the cities for Scarface, like he did for LOTR, he would have done a lot better than I did, at nine-for-ten, the one city he missed being Miami, which, like I mentioned above, you'd have to include in a Scarface re-release. . .

I would modify that list by saying the biggest metro areas...which are

1. New York, NY
2. Los Angeles, CA
3. Chicago, IL
4. Philadelphia, PA
5. Detroit, MI
6. San Francisco, CA
7. Washington, DC
8. Dallas, TX
9. Houston, TX
10. Boston, MA
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline JoshEEE

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • My Star Wars collection
Yeah, we're getting it, but none of my friends got tickets. It was a real fiasco. We have one of those sweet DLP theaters...and they had said they'd be selling tickets online only for one day, then at their box office.

Well, their website broke, so I guess a bunch of people went down to the theater and lined up. They got all the tickets for the showing, and everyone who was just using the net...struck out.

That was all of my friends.

So, I'll be missing this show...but I'll live.

Had this happened with EP3, I'd probably be crapping kittens.
Got Clones?

Offline BigDumbWookiee

• Jedi Apprentice
  • It comes in pints?! I'm getting one.
    • View Profile
I wanted to go to the all day 3 movie marathon, but tickets ($50 each) sold out in 15 minutes. People were furious. The same webpage thing happened here; the page crashed and only those at the theater got the tickets

My friend is a manager at the Indianapolis theater showing it, and I may be going with him to private screenings of each of the extended versions before they are shown publicly, along with ROTK.
"Of all the things to worry about, the wookiee has no pants..."

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Damn.  I had no idea this whole thing had already gone down, and was in such great demand.  I was really hoping to go, but haven't heard a peep of it out this way, so was totally uninformed, otherwise I would've made the effort.

Where are you guys hearing about this?  In your Sunday paper's Movies section?  Or is there a site somewhere listing the participating theaters?  Help me!   :P

Offline jadesfire

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Here's the link for theatre's:

Trilogy Tuesday
Beth

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Here's the link for theatre's:

Trilogy Tuesday

Thanks Beth.  Duh, where else would it be?!  Color me lazy...   :-[

But wait a minute - what happened to the "back to back to back" marathon of all three of them?  That's what I really wanted to go to...  These are just the first two EEs shown seperately (which is still cool in it's own right).

Is the Trilogy marathon still on, or was that idea scrapped?   ???

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Dang, call bow down to me and my mad skillz.  I love Lord of the Ring's

And nobody has contacted me from New Line...yet

Offline jadesfire

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Actually Matt, those are the theatre's that are participating in the trilogy Tuesday.  They are the only ones that have access to the extended version prints and they will also have access to ROTK so....they can show all three movies back to back to back on Tuesday.  The reason you see no way to purchase Tuesday trilogy tickets is because they are all sold out.  As far as I know (and what was posted at TORN), the only way to get them is through a third party.

Had I known anyone would have been interested I would have posted all the information here the day all the buying of tickets went down (quite the day..let me tell you!!)  but I never really knew LOTR had a fan base here (until lately)....sorry.
Beth

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Dang, call bow down to me and my mad skillz.  I love Lord of the Ring's

And nobody has contacted me from New Line...yet

Ummm... What?!   ???  This isn't a gambling thread, ya' doofus!   :-*

Guess I should've read the rest of the thread a little better, as it appears the "Trilogy Tuesday" thingee is indeed what I was looking for.  Don't see that mentioned at Beth's link though...  Guess I missed out.  Bummer.   :-\

From LOTR.net (8/22):
From December 5 - 11, the studio will release 100-150 35mm prints of the Special Extended Edition of The Fellowship of the Ring in cities across the country. On December 12 - 15, these prints will be replaced with Special Extended Edition prints of The Two Towers. On Monday, December 8, and Monday, December 15, both films will be presented back-to-back. Then, on Tuesday, December 16, participating theaters will show a one-time-only marathon of both Extended Edition prints followed by an 11pm screening of The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King. The official opening of the film will commence at 12:01 AM on Wednesday, December 17, 2003.

So I guess the LOTR site just pulled all mention of Trilogy Tuesday since it's sold out now?  Was it the same exact theaters listed for the two EEs that were showing the marathon too?  I could probably stake one of them out and buy a ticket off someone there, I suppose...   8)