Author Topic: Star Wars Hero Series X-Wing  (Read 21471 times)

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
Re: Star Wars Rebels Hero Series X-Wing
« Reply #15 on: August 5, 2014, 11:18 AM »
Saw this last night. The wings don't open. The plastic is the same plastic used for the Star Speeder 3000. Kind of cheap but solid. There isn't a lot of detail on the ship however it could be made to look fantastic with a paint job. The R2 is just a dome like what was included in the ROTS Jedi starfighters. It think the slot could be drilled out to hold a real R2. The is nothing inside the toy and no other play features. I guess we could cut the canopy off and build out some kind of cockpit for a figure. It's big enough to hold a figure in there. The canopy could be recasted clear.  Electronics could be taken from the FX version and stored inside. The wings could be cut  and extra plastic sheets added to the holes.

It's interesting it says Disney on it.

There is an electronic version coming exclusive to Sams' Club
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 5, 2014, 02:54 PM »
Saw this last night. The wings don't open. The plastic is the same plastic used for the Star Speeder 3000. Kind of cheap but solid. There isn't a lot of detail on the ship however it could be made to look fantastic with a paint job. The R2 is just a dome like what was included in the ROTS Jedi starfighters. It think the slot could be drilled out to hold a real R2. The is nothing inside the toy and no other play features. I guess we could cut the canopy off and build out some kind of cockpit for a figure. It's big enough to hold a figure in there. The canopy could be recasted clear.  Electronics could be taken from the FX version and stored inside. The wings could be cut  and extra plastic sheets added to the holes.

It's interesting it says Disney on it.

That's an awful lot of modifications for a ship that already has a dozen decent versions IMO. Pass.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #17 on: August 5, 2014, 05:36 PM »
What store Paul?  For just a display to put pilots around its a lot more impressively sized to figures.  I was already mapping out mods though.  Making the wings "function" is the trick.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 8, 2014, 09:32 AM »
This was at Target. They had three standing on their end in front of some left over TPM guards.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 9, 2014, 08:43 AM »
I saw a photo of this X-Wing on the shelf at a Target store, and OMG!!!  This thing takes up an enormous amount of shelf space, and goes about 2 feet up the pegboard wall.  Translation?  It's eating up peg-space for figures.  To which I say...

BOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Qui-Gon Jim

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 9, 2014, 10:54 AM »
Bought one last night. The size of this thing is super impressive.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2014, 11:19 AM »
So I saw the Hero Series X-Wing yesterday.  And true to form, it is absolutely ENORMOUS.  Personally, I'd like it better if it integrated with the 3.75" figure system, but that would probably drive up the price significantly.  Seeing it in person left me thinking that something like this would look good suspended from the ceiling, and that was the extent of it.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 11:19 AM by Nicklab »
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2014, 12:23 PM »
I finally got a look at this thing today.  BIG fan of SW vehicles.  If the wings/cockpit opened and a standard R2 could fit I'd buy it - but otherwise MEH.  It does look like something that might have been from a store display though I'll give it that.  Oh and it's freaking HUGE.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2014, 07:44 AM »
I too spotted this at Target the other morning, it was just lumped in with those 20 inch figures (Vader and Chewie). Bet that will cause some fun if they ever stock enough of that stuff to let it get disorganized for the holidays. Like everyone else, I passed.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2014, 11:01 PM »
Saw this over the weekend finally...  Like I've said, if the measurements hold up, (1/17 by "official" measurements of the ship, but taking into account that all of the models including the lifesize prop vary, there is room for +/- there), this is basically a properly scaled X-Wing to action figures for $40...  Given the costs of underscaled ones you can put a figure into, I think it's a pretty solid deal.  What was the last price of an underscaled X-Wing?   :-\

What sucks is it's clearly not made to be complex at all...  Wings don't open, there's no cockpit or droid socket (not a full one anyway), and it only has a forward landing gear somehow...  Not sure what the rear gear would be, but I'm guessing the forward gear is just shorter than it should be, ultimately, and probably just plugs into a hole in the bottom.  Oh, and the laser's tips are simple half-circle bits...  Definitely cheaper looking.

Anyway, if you wanted an X-Wing to park next to an A-Wing that doesn't look comically small next to it?  This is your ship actually.  I know everyone's bashing it, but it's actually pretty detailed too with panel lines, the rear-hull greeblies, etc....  It needs painted (stickers, ugh), but man it's a good base, and for cheap.  I'm waiting to see if they show at K-Mart before I buy since I have coupons there and lots of points, but I'll get one at Target later if I have to.  I'm aiming for a few actually, and if they hit clearance I may buy up whatever I see.

I'd have paid $100 for this (seriously) if it had a full cockpit, opening hatch, full sized 3 landing gear w/hatch doors, and a full droid socket...  oh, and a paintjob.  Like, a real paintjob.  As it stands though, for $40, it's a good custom starting off point to make something that is actually pretty good, and at a pretty fair price to do so.  Try doing one from scratch and see if you can even accomplish something slightly less than this ship for $40, much less with the details it actually does have.

Hell, just a paintjob on this, it's going to display nice with figures around it, some ladders, and the Yavin cart that pretty much looks comically sad next to the previous Hasbro X-Wings.

This is another one of those things people are pissing their pants angry about that all I see is the positive here.  I wish we'd get a Y-Wing now that accompanied it (same scale).  I'd be giddy.  The shell is more than enough to work with.  I'll make it work...  And Hasbro isn't going to do one this scale with all the bells and whistles I'm afraid.  I wish they would because I'd gladly pay for it, but it's in the realm of "playsets" that isn't very likely to ever happen.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 11:16 PM by Jesse James »
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #25 on: September 9, 2014, 08:35 PM »
Saw this over on www.Yakface.com (thanks Jayson) and I get a much more clear picture of what the ship's potential is.

Now, they just put out an exclusive TRU X-Wing that was $60 (now on clearance for $40), had an opening cockpit, and a droid socket...  It is at clearance everywhere I've seen and still not moving.  Given all that, I'd rather have the bigger one then, which at least doesn't look laughable with figures and a Hangar Sled next to it out of the box, and only needs a little help to make it something really impressive behind your Rebel Pilots on your display shelf.

I know there's this unbridled hate for this ship, but it's really a shame people don't look at it with a more positive light.  The thought of building this from the ground up was always daunting to me.  Now, I'm just ecstatic they've put out a solid base to work with.

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 9, 2014, 08:48 PM »
Not all are as talented as this person is.  Looks really pretty though.  I will continue to ignore this thing unless I can find someone to paint it for me which will likely never happen so nothing lost.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #27 on: September 9, 2014, 09:23 PM »
You'd be surprised how easily it would be to spiff this up and make it look grimey, varying in color, but not using complex techniques...  Some watered down craft paint (black's and browns) after you tape off some body panels and change some grey shades with rattle can spraypaints and you're on your way to something pretty special.

Making it look pretty's really secondary though to my point...  All Star Wars ships come basically not pretty now.  They haven't done a good paintjob in eons on a vehicle.

I'm just saying, don't even paint it though if you aren't comfortable trying that...  Just use it as a backdrop to your pilot action figures so for once the figures don't look like they could just step into the cockpit or pull themselves up into it from the side.  ;D  Their Rebel Fighters almost all always looked comically small next to figures, even when they increased the ship's size. 

The guy's paintjob just highlights the diamond in the rough.

Modelers are already eying up the Falcon too...  I read recently that they think it may be a perfect match for some of the Fine Molds kits, just needing a little detail work and paint, and it's there as a nice companion bit.

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2014, 12:18 AM »
This could be Luke's TESB X-wing as I don't think we ever saw the S-foils deployed in Empire.  ;)
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2014, 12:26 AM »
I know there's this unbridled hate for this ship, but it's really a shame people don't look at it with a more positive light.  The thought of building this from the ground up was always daunting to me.  Now, I'm just ecstatic they've put out a solid base to work with.

Hasbro apologist!!!  How dare you enjoy something they made without bitching first... if you're not careful some websites are going to be demanding you turn in your collector card.   :-\
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender