Author Topic: TVC Nevarro Cantina Playset  (Read 5976 times)

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
Re: TVC Nevarro Cantina Playset
« Reply #45 on: February 17, 2022, 07:26 AM »
That doesn’t seem to be the case with Hasbro Pulse.  Who knows when they’re going to get this.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #46 on: February 17, 2022, 11:29 PM »
I got these today…

Gotta say the Navarro Cantina is disappointing to me.  The execution feels lackluster.  Everything about it feels sort of cheap, really.  From the plastic, to the exterior being hollow and undetailed, the cardboard pieces in place of plastic and functional bits… the Tantive IV was much more “significant” in execution than this turned out.  This feels like they really half assed a lot of it.

The highlight is probably the piece of bar and the accessories.  They’re ok but not without flaw… the bottles are molded in single clusters of 3 to save a dime rather than individual ones.  You get a couple glasses and stools.  They look nice together and the stools are nice too, I guess.  That’s little “wow” though.

The way the whole thing is designed it isn’t very conducive to expanding the set to make something more grand, visually speaking, though you can do some expanding, it again falls short of the Tantive IV in that regard.

The pack-in is ok.  I think I’d have liked the flame trooper better though, had they included him with a new flame effect being “pushed back” on him or something, as occurred in the show.  The Death Trooper is ok but nothing we don’t all have plenty of, and getting an obscure pack-in from the show wasn’t ever likely.

In general I’ve enjoyed the sets we got and paid full price for (at least) one… this is one I’d wait it out on though.  It just doesn’t feel worth the $ right now.  Not this time anyway.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 18, 2022, 04:41 PM »
Just got mine and opened it up, and I don't think I could argue with anything you're saying Jesse.

Overall I like it, it looks good on the shelf.  But there's not much there for $58 after tax.  The cardboard door wont' stay put...

I do like the 3-piece bottles, just because they stand up on their own.

It's fine.  But it would have been more fine for $39.99.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2022, 05:01 PM by Rob »

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #48 on: February 18, 2022, 05:45 PM »
Thanks Rob.  I feel like the Carboite chamber is under appreciated by playset fans for delivering a complete scene (if you buy 2 of course), while this goes hard the other direction.  It delivers little at all for this particular scene and does it in what feels like a half assed way.  I’m kinda let down because I’d hoped for better.  Hasbro’s use of cheaper materials for the playsets is detracting too.  It makes me appreciate the Bespin one even more honestly.  A lot more HIPS plastic there.

The bar piece works for me, the accessories, not much else.  Def a wait for clearance item if you wanted more.  I’m pondering how I can combine pieces to make it double sided. 😕
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #49 on: April 6, 2022, 06:50 PM »
My Nevarro Cantina from Pulse finally arrived today. I definitely feel it is the weakest of the playset offerings so far and it was a bit of a letdown.

Echoing some of the other complaints in here, it just feels cheaper than the last few sets, particularly the Tantive IV hallway. Each of the elements being one sided is easily the biggest let down. I really don't care for the cardboard elements (the door and the broken window). I feel like not having a molded plastic door (like the Tantive IV set) is a big miss. For the window, if they were going to make it cardboard, they could have at least included a second version that is not shot out. The paint apps are really flat on the set too. It could have used a dark wash on the textured bits. The accessories are nice, and one of the better parts of the set.

If this had included two side panels, a sliding plastic door, and a plastic window -- OR -- this was priced at $39.99 -- I think my tune would be a lot different.

As is, it will definitely have a spot on the shelf, but now that I've seen it in hand, I'm definitely not going to be picking up multiples like I did with the others.
« Last Edit: April 6, 2022, 06:50 PM by Ryan »
"This is the way."

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 6, 2022, 07:08 PM »
For the window, if they were going to make it cardboard, they could have at least included a second version that is not shot out.

The cardboard window piece does have both shot and pristine versions in it. If you pull out the cardboard and rotate it 180 degrees you switch the style.

Unfortunately the sculpted hanging lights remain shot up either way. Oops.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #51 on: April 7, 2022, 09:53 AM »
I saw it in stock at Amazon and decided to pick one up since EE hasn't received these yet.

I have yet to open it.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #52 on: April 7, 2022, 03:17 PM »
For the window, if they were going to make it cardboard, they could have at least included a second version that is not shot out.

The cardboard window piece does have both shot and pristine versions in it. If you pull out the cardboard and rotate it 180 degrees you switch the style.

Unfortunately the sculpted hanging lights remain shot up either way. Oops.

Aha! So it does. Well that's at least a slight improvement in how I feel about it. Seems obvious now that I look at it...

Still wish they were plastic though, with a solid clear plastic window
"This is the way."

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 12, 2022, 03:26 PM »
I finally cracked this open last night to add to my Mandalorian shelf. 

I'm totally underwhelmed by this, especially for the full retail price, and I didn't need the Death Trooper either.

The bottles, stools, etc. are nice, and the backdrop isn't bad.  But the cardboard door is pretty lame and the bar itself isn't all that detailed or interesting.   

I think part of my heartburn is that there just aren't any fun aliens to put in the bar and most of the rest of the characters that interacted with this scene can just as easily stand next to my Razor Crest and fit in.

Ultimately I think it should have been $30 without the Death Trooper and I would feel more okay about its lameness.

I'll keep it in place for now but as soon as I get more space constrained this will be the first thing to go.