Collectibles > Episode 1

The Original "Midnight Madness"

<< < (2/6) > >>

Morgbug:
I passed on midnight madness in 1999.  Only TRU did it up here and I had no interest.  Actually, my whole collecting interest had waned a fair bit by then.  

I opted to go to Walmart the next morning in a town of about 10000 people.  Everything was there and easy to find.  Lots of stuff gone, but I picked up one of everything and two of Maul.  Me and one other guy in the aisle.  Quite serene it was.

There was no midnight madness up here at all for AOTC.  Most figures had already been leaked out by TRU.

Darth Kenobi:
I wasn't a collector before the day of "Midnight Maddness".  I ended up going to TRU after school and grabbing some of the stuff that was left ; Palpatine, Watto and Sidous plus the Stap and Kadda.  Other then that stuff the shelfs were empty.  A day later I went to a target after going to the movies and picked up all of the main figures.

I did go to MM2 and was one of the first ones in line and ended up finding out why they called it Madness.   :o

Nicklab:
I admit I was roped in by Midnight Madness.  At least the hype.  I didn't attend, but I was certainly curious.  I had only gotten mildly back into collecting the previous year when I bought some Action Fleet pieces.  This, after my Star Wars hiatus from 1984 to 1998!

So, instead of attending Midnight Madness (I had to work the next day at 6 AM!), I went after work.  I decided "You know what?  These are kinda cool.  I'm going to get some figures".

So, I got Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan, Anakin, Darth Sidious, Palpatine, and Queen Amidala.  Then, I asked one of the guys at the store "Do you have any more Darth Maul's?"  He disappears for a couple of minutes, and brings one back to me.  And that's how this mess all started for me, all over again!

jadesfire:
Oohh.. memory lane...I love this topic!

MM - 1999:  Just got off the plane in Green Bay after leaving Dagobah (aka: Denver) from the first SW Celebration and decided to see if TRU was really going to be open at midnight.  We pulled in at 11:00 and had about 25 people in front of us with news camera's and radio stations galore.  When the doors opened at midnight the crowd was probably around 200 and it was a frickin' ZOO!!  Luckily (?) my husband was at his wits end with all things associated with Star Wars (not a fan) so he pretty muched plowed over everyone to get me the 12" dolls and then at the checkout I told the manager how I wished I had gotten the Amidala dolls and he said he never put them out as he was afraid they might get crushed (good call) so he went to the back and snuck two up front and I went away very happy.  After the two hour ride home, I was still so wound up about everything I was at our local Walmart at 7:30am sharp  to fill my basket with all the rest of the action figures, ships, bandaids and whatever else they had in complete solitude.

MM 2002:  Didn't go back to Green Bay and had to wait for our Wal-mart to open at 7:30am, but did have the whole store (well the toy isle anyways) to myself and proceeded to buy one of everything all over again  :) .

Sad thing is...it's May of 2003 and the same AOTC figures are still hanging on the @%&* pegs!!!!!

Sith Lord Cosmo:
This is a great topic, can't believe I didn't see it earlier

MM 99
It was the summer after my freshman year of college, I had managed to get a decent paying job for the summer.  My friend Vo and I went to the local TRU.  We must have looked like an interesting duo.  Vo is a 6'4 black guy who, at the time had a big fro.  I'm a 5'8 little white guy who looked like crap from doing yardwork all day.

We get there probably about 11:00.  There's about 20 people ahead of us in line.  We even see a couple local news crews covering the event.  The NBC news guy comes over to us and asks if we want to be on tv.  We say sure.  He asks a couple questions about why we're here, how many toys we each have, etc.  After the NBC guy is done the Fox News guy interviews us.

They're letting people in 20 at a time.  We're the last people in.  They just had bins of the figures.  We decide on a system.  Vo grabs a cart.  I grab handfuls of toys from the bins and dump them in the cart.  Vo sorts them out and hands me back what we don't need.

And, we get on tv one more time.  As we're checking out, the CBS crew films us.  I had a number of people tell me the next day they saw me on tv ;D

MM 02
My senior year of college.  I was doing an unpaid internship >:( so I had no money.  So what do I do, buy lots of toys.  When midnight rolls around, I get a friend and we head to Meijer, the only store in the arena that's open 24 hours.  None of the Wally Worlds are, and TRU wasn't doing a midnight sale.

We get to Meijer.  No toys.  They didn't get their shipment.  So we go to another Meijer, same result.  Another toy hunter at Meijer tells me Media Play is open for selling Star Wars stuff.  We drive a half hour to Media Play.  They've got all sorts of Star Wars stuff, except the figures.  I end the night empty handed :(

I did drag my ass out of bed the next morning and hit up wal mart.  

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version