Author Topic: 2024 TVC AHSOKA E-Wing Fighter with KE4-N4  (Read 775 times)

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
Re: 2024 TVC AHSOKA E-Wing Fighter with KE4-N4
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2024, 10:14 AM »
Oh, I know the mechanics of how the canopy opens.  It just struck me as something that probably wouldn't have been designed that way if it was being made as a miniature or a full sized mockup.  The art department as well as the model shop at ILM always took a lot of cues from current and classic aviation in terms of design.  And that cannon just would never have been something that aircraft designers would incorporate in that particular position because it could have a negative affect on crew survival in the event of a bailout.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2024, 01:17 PM »
Oh, I know the mechanics of how the canopy opens.  It just struck me as something that probably wouldn't have been designed that way if it was being made as a miniature or a full sized mockup.  The art department as well as the model shop at ILM always took a lot of cues from current and classic aviation in terms of design.  And that cannon just would never have been something that aircraft designers would incorporate in that particular position because it could have a negative affect on crew survival in the event of a bailout.

Ejecting would be a bit of a problem.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2024, 01:47 PM »

Just a bit!

Not to go off on too much of a tangent, but the whole reference to older aircraft as inspiration for new ships made me realize that another recent ship seems to have been inspired by some WW2 era fighter planes.  The fighters flown by Shin Hati and her squadron are really a lot line some of the radial engine fighters of the second world war - the FW-190, the P-47 Thunderbolt and the F-4U Corsair all have some similar lines to that new fighter seen in AHSOKA.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2024, 01:47 PM by Nicklab »

Feedback

Offline tmanthegreat

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2024, 02:27 PM »

Just a bit!

Not to go off on too much of a tangent, but the whole reference to older aircraft as inspiration for new ships made me realize that another recent ship seems to have been inspired by some WW2 era fighter planes.  The fighters flown by Shin Hati and her squadron are really a lot line some of the radial engine fighters of the second world war - the FW-190, the P-47 Thunderbolt and the F-4U Corsair all have some similar lines to that new fighter seen in AHSOKA.

Looking at the old (and rare) Galoob Star Wars Action Fleet E-Wing vehicle from the late 1990s, Galoob designed the canopy with a larger rear portion to which the 3rd gun was mounted and which allowed the canopy to open in a manner similar to the X-Wing (the gun was in essence part of the canopy). Not sure how accurate that was per the old EU, but it’s a practical solution on the Galoob model. See here:

(Photo Credit - Rebel Scale: https://www.rebelscale.com/action-fleet/classic/e-wing/ )

Nevertheless, I also really like the omission of the 3rd gun on the Ashoka version of the E-Wing as well as the sliding forward canopy…

And the influence of WWII era uniforms, vehicles, and equipment on Star Wars is without question! And I’m glad to see Dave Filoni and others continuing that tradition in the various new series…
Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it binds the galaxy together ;D

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2024, 05:42 AM »
That's an interesting detail!  And believe it or not, but those Galoob designs have roots at ILM!  I was really surprised to hear Adam Savage mention that he had a hand in helping design and build the Galoob Action Fleet Y-Wing back when he worked for ILM.  So it seems very likely that someone in the ILM model shop probably had a hand in designing that E-Wing as well.

Feedback

Offline tmanthegreat

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2024, 01:53 PM »
That's an interesting detail!  And believe it or not, but those Galoob designs have roots at ILM!  I was really surprised to hear Adam Savage mention that he had a hand in helping design and build the Galoob Action Fleet Y-Wing back when he worked for ILM.  So it seems very likely that someone in the ILM model shop probably had a hand in designing that E-Wing as well.

Nicklab, I didn’t know that concerning ILM’s involvement with the Galoob Action Fleet line - or that Adam Savage had a role in the development of their Y-Wing model! The products were obviously licensed by Lucasfilm (as all Star Wars merchandise is) just I didn’t know that ILM had more direct involvement in the design of the ships. However, at the same time, I’m not surprised by it, either. I was a big fan of the Galoob AF line back in the day and it still holds a special place with me, kind of tied with all the excitement and surge of renewed interest in Star Wars surrounding the release of the OT Special Edition films and Episode I TPM in the 1990s. Their E-Wing model visually is near spot on to the schematics that appeared in the old 1996 Technical Manual book as well as in some of the EU comics. With the previous discussions on the canopy design and 3rd gun, just thought I’d bring up the Action Fleet model as it’s currently one of the few mass produced models of the E-Wing that’s been made to date.
Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it binds the galaxy together ;D