Author Topic: Official Movie Thread  (Read 350417 times)

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
Re: Official Movie Thread
« Reply #1665 on: May 27, 2015, 05:06 PM »
As for me, well, I didn't hate it, but didn't love it either.  It was a good movie for a rainy Sunday, but probably not the kind of movie I'll watch again on DVD or cable or whatever.

(not quite the ringing endorsement you were probably hoping for, Brian :()

I saw it too and felt very similarly.  Liked it, didn't love it.  It was refreshing to get a movie with an original storyline (as opposed to an adapted story) but it certainly didn't blow me away.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #1666 on: June 12, 2015, 11:42 AM »
Saw Mad Max in 3D this week...loved it. My only complaint is that the constant high octane action sort of spoils you and when the movie slows down for even brief interludes it seems interminable.

The dude with the guitar was nuts!
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #1667 on: June 13, 2015, 01:07 PM »
Jurassic World $190-200 million opening weekend

With this and Guardians of the Galaxy, I think there's a strong argument to name Chris Pratt the biggest movie star in the Hollywood.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #1668 on: June 18, 2015, 01:32 AM »
Just got back from Jurassic World... I went in with pretty low expectations and ended up enjoying it. It mainly felt like someone saw Jurassic Park and thought "how can I make this even more violent?"

I'd rank it above 3 and maybe tied with or barely above Lost World, but they'll never recreate the magic of the first one.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #1669 on: July 2, 2015, 04:33 PM »
Saw Terminator: Genisys last night. They did a decent job rebooting the franchise for the modern day, but it was pretty much like any other Hollywood big budget film these days... plot points spoiled in the trailers, crappy CGI, throwbacks to original movies to remind you they exist, and no true identity. (Like Jurassic World, there are times where the film doesn't take itself seriously at all, and the next scene it takes itself WAY too seriously)
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1670 on: July 3, 2015, 04:45 PM »
I enjoyed it for the most part...except for the guy a few rows in front of my trying to record the movie.  GRRR!  First time ever catching someone do that.  I thought Anold would just have a cameo but he's in for most of the movie so that was cool.  I would hope that's not a spoiler...Not sure how many more he has in him though.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #1671 on: July 3, 2015, 06:29 PM »
Too bad you weren't in the row behind him so you could make large obnoxious comments throughout the movie...

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1672 on: July 6, 2015, 01:27 PM »
Too bad you weren't in the row behind him so you could make large obnoxious comments throughout the movie...

Yeah, I might have gone to tell the theater about that if it was me.  Or at least moved to another seat.  Pretty ridiculous to have to watch the movie with a little recorder going in front of you. 
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1673 on: July 6, 2015, 07:27 PM »
Oh I did go tell mgmt about it sadly only half way through the movie but i ****** up his recording at least.  The device was not as obvious as you would think.  I would have gone batshit crazy if it were - thought he was just a jackass.  Once the black suits hit the room he put the device away as they sat all over around, behind, next to him.  I got the nastiest I want to murder you looks from the guy as everyone was exiting.  Not sure I want to try that again but mgmt should have been doing their part.  I'm sure you could cleary see what was going on from where the film was being played from.  I would have at least thought they would have questioned him after the show but no dice.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1674 on: July 7, 2015, 10:43 AM »
I'm sure you could cleary see what was going on from where the film was being played from.  I would have at least thought they would have questioned him after the show but no dice.

You probably could. Unfortunately, that's assuming someone is up there.

I've been at movies where the sound/focus are totally messed up and you're sitting there thinking "someone is gonna notice and fix it" and then had to run out into the lobby looking for ANYONE who could go up to the booth and fix it. I think these days, the projectors are so automatic, they literally make sure the reel is spooled up, flip a switch and leave the booth...
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #1675 on: July 7, 2015, 10:49 AM »
Reel?  What's a reel?

With most movies being digital, I don't know that a worker even needs to go in and push play.  I think their system can tell if someone bought a ticket to a screening, and starts the film automatically. 
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1676 on: July 7, 2015, 11:22 AM »
Reel?  What's a reel?

With most movies being digital, I don't know that a worker even needs to go in and push play.  I think their system can tell if someone bought a ticket to a screening, and starts the film automatically.

Very good point. Showing my age I guess...  :-[
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #1677 on: October 4, 2015, 01:38 PM »
I saw The Martian last nite.. good flick... tho like any other flick, some of the science is iffy here & there but still entertaining for a 2hr & 22 minute flick. Robinson Crusoe/MacGyver on Mars..  :D

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #1678 on: March 19, 2016, 10:23 AM »
Saw 10 Cloverfield Lane last night...good flick, taut, well paced...still no clue how it is supposed to tie back to the first movie.  ???
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #1679 on: March 21, 2016, 12:45 AM »
Saw 10 Cloverfield Lane last night...good flick, taut, well paced...still no clue how it is supposed to tie back to the first movie.  ???

I enjoyed it as well.  I can kind of see how it ties into the "Cloververse"  (should I copyright that?), but I don't want to got too into the details until everyone has seen it.
This is the way.

I have spoken.