Author Topic: 2004 DVD Release List  (Read 100957 times)

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
Re: Major DVD Release List for Fall '03/Winter '04
« Reply #120 on: December 2, 2003, 01:09 AM »

Just ordered the Alien Quadrilogy from Deep Discount DVD, using their 20% off code, for $63.50 shipped.  It would have been $58.55 shipped, but I decided to pay the extra $4.95 for the expedited shipping.  Their normal price on this bad boy is $73.xx--which is still a pretty decent price.

DDD's Alien Quadrilogy page

There are three codes they're taking right now, all for 20% off, and they're only good through December 5.  The codes are "usatoday", "dvdsale", and "dvdtalk", which is the one I used.  They're only good on in-stock DVD product, and they're not usable on pre-orders, or non-DVD product (DDD carries a few EA video games).

Anyway, I'd have liked to have gotten this set today/tomorrow, but couldn't pass up the savings.  Hopefully I'll get it at the end of this week, and I can't wait.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

SilverZ

« Reply #121 on: December 2, 2003, 08:01 PM »
Funny, was just diving into the thread to post this very thing. Ordered Alien Quad from DDD too, its the best price BY FAR, if you use the coupons. It was 74.99 at Target this afternoon.

Re: Pirates - Target is cheapest, but they put their DAMN stickers on the back of the package, and this disc has an unshrinkwrapped cardboard outer sleave. So, the Target stickers are stuck onto it. Those that are anal about package presentation might want to hit BB or CC instead and pay the extra buck for a good case.

J

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #122 on: December 2, 2003, 08:46 PM »
Funny, was just diving into the thread to post this very thing. Ordered Alien Quad from DDD too, its the best price BY FAR, if you use the coupons. It was 74.99 at Target this afternoon.

You know, I heard that Costco stores are selling the Quadrilogy for $61.99 this week.  I don't have them here, but that's a pretty good deal for a B & M store, and worthy of checking out if you're interested in the Quad and have Costcos in your area.

Re: Pirates - Target is cheapest, but they put their DAMN stickers on the back of the package, and this disc has an unshrinkwrapped cardboard outer sleave. So, the Target stickers are stuck onto it. Those that are anal about package presentation might want to hit BB or CC instead and pay the extra buck for a good case.

You know, that's the one thing I don't like about those cardboard sleeves that Disney puts on a few of their DVDs--they can get trashed by price stickers, security tags, etc.  Other than that, they're really nice-looking, in my opinion. . .
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: December 2, 2003, 11:40 PM »

J

Little choice up here pricewise, so I snagged my copy at Wallyworld.  They too put a price sticker on, but it's cold enough here that leaving it in the car for the day made the sticker come off clean and easy.  

There's a factory sticker on the outer sleeve too, presumably you guys have it as well.  It reads First Time on DVD!.  Well duh ::) >:(
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

SilverZ

« Reply #124 on: December 4, 2003, 02:12 PM »

There's a factory sticker on the outer sleeve too, presumably you guys have it as well.  It reads First Time on DVD!.  Well duh ::) >:(

Lol, yes its on there. Thank god, too - I would have thought this was the 3rd release of the disc and not bought it.

Virex, I saw those reports about Costco too. Awesome deal. There's one a couple of blocks from here, but its always so crowded, that I'm happy it'll show up at more door instead, and I can keep my sanity away from the Xmas hordes.

This is a bit off topic, but does anyone else deep into DVD's have a D-VHS deck? I've been expanding the D-Theater collection lately, just got X2 and Moulin Rouge.

J

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #125 on: December 4, 2003, 02:23 PM »
You know, I heard that Costco stores are selling the Quadrilogy for $61.99 this week.  I don't have them here, but that's a pretty good deal for a B & M store, and worthy of checking out if you're interested in the Quad and have Costcos in your area.

Hmm...  Thanks for the tip Matt.  Getting better... Might have to look into it at that price, since I've got a nice Costco just around the corner from me.

I think the Pirates cardboard cover looks very nice as well!  I've never really had any trouble peeling off the stickers when they've occasionally been stuck on my DVDs, but I have the patience to do it very slowly so that probably helps.

On a sad note, sorry to hear of the passing of your 73" widescreen TV Jared!  Hopefully it will enjoy it's new home.  Just glad I got to check it out first!   8)  What size will you be "downgrading" to?
« Last Edit: December 4, 2003, 02:24 PM by JediMAC »

SilverZ

« Reply #126 on: December 4, 2003, 07:09 PM »
Yes, tragic indeed.  :'( But Matt, don't worry... though it will be missed, I've decided that after the 1st of the year to go front projection. I'm still working out specifics, but it looks like I can work a 110" motorized screen in the new place. All I need now is a big giant load of cash to fall out of the sky, and I'll be set.

This isn't exactly a major release, but fans of David Cronenberg should pick up the new Criterion Naked Lunch. It's a great disc for fans and the supplements are good with zero fluff. Just started watching it last night.

J

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #127 on: December 4, 2003, 07:34 PM »
I'm still working out specifics, but it looks like I can work a 110" motorized screen in the new place.

You're sick dude!   :o

Tell me when it's all hooked up and ready to go, and I'll be sure to stop by!

And don't forget everybody - that Gigli is due out next Tuesday, so get your $20 ready!   8)
« Last Edit: December 4, 2003, 07:38 PM by JediMAC »

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #128 on: December 5, 2003, 11:47 AM »
I don't really have anything substantial to add, but here's a nice photo that I stole from The Digital Bits of Jenny McCarthy wearing a DVDress:

Have fun.

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #129 on: December 5, 2003, 08:22 PM »
And don't forget everybody - that Gigli is due out next Tuesday, so get your $20 ready!   8)
This is hitting retail at $20? [nelson laugh]

SilverZ

« Reply #130 on: December 5, 2003, 09:39 PM »

Have fun.

Yeah, but does her dress have a DTS track?

Sorry, there's has to be a funny pun for that pic, somewhere.

J

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: December 5, 2003, 09:54 PM »

Can you see my panty lines?

It sure is cold in here, these things are frozen to me and I can't move without tearing something off.

See, I really am bright

I'll see what else comes to mind.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #132 on: December 8, 2003, 08:33 PM »
So I received my Alien Quadrilogy today from DDD, and this thing is over five feet long when fully unfolded.  Pretty amazing.

I've only watched a little bit of the bonus ninth disc so far, but it seems awfully in-depth, and I'm looking forward to delving into the rest of the set.  Probably going to watch Resurrection first, since it's the only one I haven't seen yet, even though a lot of people don't seem to like it.  

45 hours of stuff. . .  See you guys on Wednesday.  

SilverZ

« Reply #133 on: December 8, 2003, 11:01 PM »
Congrats,  and good luck with Resurrection - I'm in that group of folks that pretends it doesn't exist. Be interested to see if you think Alien 3 has improved with all the reinserted footage. Mine should arrive this week, though since the big TV is down, I'll only watch the sups. Still excited to get this though, and now wish I had bought more in the DDD 20% code mania.

J

Fettish Sez Thanks

« Reply #134 on: December 8, 2003, 11:53 PM »
That 20% sale was a god sent. I got the 2nd, harder to find, Monster Garage DVD for $5.75 shipped. It's closer to $25 through Discovery Channel's e-store.

I'm not buying myself anymore DVD's this month, atleast not until "S.W.A.T." is released. which is after Christmas.