Author Topic: 2007 DVD Releases Thread  (Read 31521 times)

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
Re: 2007 DVD Releases Thread
« Reply #165 on: October 24, 2007, 06:03 PM »
Transformers Becomes This Year's Top-Selling DVD & HD Title

The TRANSFORMERS DVD is also the top-selling October DVD release in the history of the home entertainment industry.

Could have fooled me...They were either heavily restocking in my neck of the woods or they just didn't appear to be selling at all.  :-\
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: November 3, 2007, 07:28 PM »
Picked this up at Target...

And thanks to Targets $1 DVD bin, I nabbed this cinematic masterpiece...

Offline Artoo

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Lucky catch
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: November 4, 2007, 02:34 PM »
Wow.  :D
I'll pick up the Target 3-Disc Spidey 3 DVD soon.
EDIT:
Picked it up, I don't get all the hate. I think it might be my favorite of the trilogy.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2007, 08:18 PM by Artoo »
KAY-BEE STANDARD RESPONSE:  "All we have is 1990's 'Robocop' toys."
WHICH MEANS:  "Holy ******* ****, please shoot m

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: November 15, 2007, 09:13 PM »
Well something I found interesting coinciding with the rerelease of BladeRunner for the 25th Anniversary.

Blade Runner Trilogy: 25th Anniversary Edition (3CD Digipack)

Universal Music TV is set to release a stunning 3CD collection to mark the 25th Anniversary of Blade Runner on December 10th, 2007. Featuring previously unreleased music from the film, bonus tracks and a brand new album of Vangelis material inspired by the film with sleeve notes written by Ridley Scott.

Ridley Scott’s Blade Runner, with its apocalyptic depiction of LA in 2019, has become one of the most celebrated sci-fi releases of the 20th century. It’s one of those films where all of the constituent parts - the set, the lighting, the characters, the sparse dialogue and of course the music - work uniquely together to produce a cult masterpiece.

The music has always been a key element of Blade Runner and there have been various versions of the soundtrack over the years, some ‘official’ and some bootlegs. But they have all either been incomplete or have suffered from poor sound quality, until now. Blade Runner Trilogy: 25th Anniversary is a 3CD set which - for the first time - puts all the pieces together, providing the complete music from the film and a lot more besides.

CD 1 features the original and remastered soundtrack as it first appeared in 1994, twelve years after the film was released. The second CD contains all the remaining music from the film that did not appear on the original 1994 soundtrack, plus two bonus tracks (“One Alone” and “Desolation Path”). None of this material has been released before.

The third and final disc will be of real interest to Vangelis fans - as it contains an entire album of newly written material composed by Vangelis to mark the 25th anniversary of Blade Runner. The music is strong and flowing, and retains the dark, atmospheric sense of the original score. There are some intriguing spoken word contributions too, from Ridley Scott, Roman Polanski, Oliver Stone and a host of distinguished actors, personalities and world dignitaries.

Full track listing details:

CD 1: Blade Runner Original Soundtrack Album

Track 1: Main Titles (3:42)
Track 2: Blush Response (5:47)
Track 3: Wait For Me (5:27)
Track 4: Rachel’s Song (4:46)
Track 5: Love Theme (4:56)
Track 6: One More Kiss, Dear (3:58)
Track 7: Blade Runner Blues (8:53)
Track 8: Memories Of Green (5:05)
Track 9: Tales Of The Future (4:46)
Track 10: Damask Rose (2:32)
Track 11: Blade Runner (End Titles) (4:40)
Track 12: Tears In Rain (3:00)

CD 2: Blade Runner Previously Unreleased and Bonus Material

Track 1: Longing (1:58)
Track 2: Unveiled Twinkling Space (1:59)
Track 3: Dr. Tyrell’s Owl (2:40)
Track 4: At Mr. Chew’s (4:47)
Track 5: Leo’s Room (2:21)
Track 6: One Alone (bonus track) (2:23)
Track 7: Deckard And Roy’s Duel (6:16)
Track 8: Dr. Tyrell’s Death (3:11)
Track 9: Desolation Path (bonus track) (5:45)
Track 10: Empty Streets (6:16)
Track 11: Mechanical Dolls (2:52)
Track 12: Fading Away (3:32)

CD 3: BR 25

This is the album with the new music, composed by Vangelis for Blade Runner’s 25th anniversary.

Track 1: Launch Approval (1:54)
Spoken word: Scott Bolton, Bryce Bolton

Track 2: Up and Running (3:09)
Spoken word: Sir Ridley Scott

Track 3: Mail From India (3:27)
Ney: C. Lambrakis

Track 4: BR Downtown (2:27)
Spoken word: Oliver Stone, Akiko Ebi, Cherry Vanilla

Track 5: Dimitri’s Bar (3:52)
Spoken word: Akiko Ebi, Oliver Stone, Saxophone: Dimitris Tsakas

Track 6: Sweet Solitude (6:56)
Saxophone: Dimitris Tsakas

Track 7: No Expectation Boulevard (6:44)
Spoken word: Rutger Hauer, Wes Studi, Bhaskar Balakrishnan (Executive Director of the Asian Heritage Foundation), Shobhana Balakrishnan, Laura Metaxa, Sir Ridley Scott, Zhao Yali (Ambassador of the People’s Republic of China to Cyprus)

Track 8: Vadavarot (4:14)
Spoken word: Irina Valentinova, Florencia Suayan Tacod

Track 9: Perfume Exotico (5:19)
Spoken word: Edward James Olmos

Track 10: Spotkanie Z Matka (5:09)
Spoken word: Roman Polanski reciting excerpts from the poem “Spotkanie z Matka” by Konstanty Ildefons Gaczynski

Track 11: Piano In An Empty Room (3:37)

Track 12: Keep Asking (1:29)
Spoken word: Bryce Bolton

All music composed, arranged, produced and performed by Vangelis.

“One of the great experiences of my directing career was working on the music for Blade Runner with Vangelis at his Marble Arch studio in London where he would perform rough demo film cues for me on the fly, obsessing over every detail and capturing every moment with exceptional beauty…the final result took us far beyond my expectations.” - Ridley Scott, sleeve notes

This CD release ties in with some significant DVD products launched to coincide with the 25th anniversary. On December 3rd, 2007 a 5 DVD set ‘Final Cut: Ultimate Collectors Edition’ is released, which contains all 5 versions of the film, plus interviews, a documentary on the making of the film and a letter from Ridley Scott.

Not sure if this is available worldwide yet, but I just have to get ahold of this soundtrack.  8)

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: November 15, 2007, 10:11 PM »
I'm ashamed to say that I've never even seen Blade Runner.  Sad, I know.   :-[

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
« Reply #170 on: November 15, 2007, 10:16 PM »
Don't worry, I'm right there with you man. I aim to rectify this oversight soon though.
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: November 15, 2007, 10:27 PM »
You have never seen Blade Runner! Get the DVD when it's released on Dec 18th, well worth it.  ;)

If you are lucky, see it in the theater.  8)

Ahhh, good times.  ;D

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: November 16, 2007, 12:56 AM »
I'm ashamed to say that I've never even seen Blade Runner.  Sad, I know.   :-[

I own the basic version and I've never viewed it either, but you have an excuse I suppose  :-\
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline name

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I ate your llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: November 16, 2007, 01:02 AM »
I felt the same guilty sense of cultural illiteracy too, so I rented it sometime last year.

I thought it sucked balls.
This sticker is dangerous and inconvenient, but I do love Fig Newtons.

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #174 on: November 16, 2007, 02:20 AM »
I liked it, but I didn't get hyped up about it by anyone... My expectations were low and I was pleased.

I'm pretty excited about the unreleased score, though. I've got two 2-disc bootlegged versions of the score, so it'll be nice to see what the official 3-disc take on it is, finally.

Also, I picked up Help! on DVD. It's the best. Beautiful looking and sounding.

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #175 on: November 16, 2007, 12:53 PM »
I have never seen it as well. I always intended to but never bought it. My guess is once this new release comes out i will pick it up.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: November 16, 2007, 12:57 PM »
Add my name to the list of those who haven't seen Blade Runner.  I've always wanted to, and saw parts of it when it was on Sci Fi a couple years back, but we were busy painting our living/dining room, so I didn't see much.  I might be picking it up on DVD as well, and finally sit down to watch it.

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: November 16, 2007, 01:20 PM »
I'm sure it was good for it's time but it's pretty lame.  Kind of like the first Mad Max film.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #178 on: November 16, 2007, 02:02 PM »
I'm sure it was good for it's time but it's pretty lame. 

This seems to be true for a lot of people I know.  The folks that saw it in the 80s/90s, at the height of Harrison's "Indy/Han" mania, all seem to love it, while others who saw it later didn't like it.  Watching it now, I can see how it may not hold up if you have no nostalgia for it.

I'm positive that the reason I loved it when I watched it as a kid (my dad covered my eyes on the nudie scene  :P) was the fact that it was a sci-fi movie that had Harrison Ford as a cop driving a car that could fly as he hunted sentient killer androids in the future... what dorky sci-fi lovin' kid wouldn't like that? 

Today, I still love it, but I know that my opinion of it (and a lot of my other favorite movies) is tainted by nostalgia moreso than the actual quality of the story...   ;)
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: November 16, 2007, 02:35 PM »
I remember read about 7 years ago that Ridley Scott "spoiled" the big question that was left to the viewers to speculate on. It might be cheese (I haven't seen it in some time) but I thought it was interesting to see a futuristic Chinatown LA along with the things Jeff pointed out. There are some other things that are similar to the current BSG, too.