Collecting > Collector's Tips

What happened to the Bertby?

(1/2) > >>

Morgbug:
So I was finally to the point of revving up to pick up three Bertby shelves to display a bunch of my collection in.  This is a little more difficult for me than many of you since the nearest Ikea is seven hours away in Minneapolis and Canadian stores wouldn't ship Bertby's (or Detolfs for that matter) presumably because the glass would break in transit. 

I was planning on heading to Minneapolis this past weekend and wanted to verify that the store had stock so I went online to check.  Couldn't find the damn things anywhere and started asking a few people.  DSJ found this:

--- Quote ---IKEA wants all customers who bought BERTBY glass-door wall cabinet from 2002 until today to contact IKEA.

Screws of the wrong size have been delivered with some of the BERTBY glass-door wall cabinets. The screws are used to attach the safety bracket to the top of the cabinet. The use of wrong screws may cause the safety bracket not to fulfil its purpose, which might result in that the cabinet is not properly secured to the wall.

All concerned customers should contact IKEA or visit their local store to receive screws of the right size and an instruction for how to replace the screws in a safe way.

Please note that many BERTBY glass-door wall cabinets have been delivered with the right type of screw. There is nothing wrong with the cabinet in itself, so there is no need to return the cabinet to IKEA.

At IKEA we are doing our utmost to secure the quality and safety of our products. To avoid future incidents we are now re-evaluating our safety and quality routines.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

--- End quote ---

So, does anyone know if or can they find out if Ikea intends to bring this back once the problem is resolved or is the Bertby dead forever?  And if so, is there a replacement for it in the offing.  And failing that does anyone have a good set of dimensions because I'll just build the damn things myself if I have to.

Phrubruh:
I have one of those cases. Great case. I wish I had another but Ikea changed the coloring so it will never match with what I have.

Jesse James:
Getting to Ikea's a bitch for me so I rarely do, but I really enjoyed when I was in one...  Could've plunked down a TON of cash in that place.  Loved the cases I saw.  I saw so much there though, I'd probably go nuts figuring out which cases I wanted to buy to display everything in.

Morgbug:
So obviously no one really cares about this aside from me and that's ok.  But does anyone have a suggestion for an alternative that's available at Ikea or elsewhere? 

Or can someone measure their Bertby and give me the precise dimensions of the unit, the door, etc.?  Ideally I'm looking for:
Cabinet depth
Cabinet width
Cabinet height
Door width
Door height
Dimensions of glass in the door
Location of hinges
Shelf width
Shelf depth

Pictures would be great too.  Basically if Ikea doesn't want to sell it I'll build the damn things myself. 

JesseVader08:
I found their assembly instructions, but it's little help without actual dimensions.

http://www.ikea.com/ms/en_US/customer_service/assembly/B/B38047210.pdf

I recently bought a couple Besta units and added some more shelves for a number of my smaller pieces.  But the Besta doesn't use glass shelves like the Bertby does.

http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/20134046

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version