Author Topic: 2008/2009 Evolutions Sets  (Read 158680 times)

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
Re: 2008 Evolutions Sets
« Reply #330 on: February 24, 2008, 10:29 AM »
These detailed shots of the pilots are fantastic, I'm really psyched for this set.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: February 24, 2008, 05:24 PM »
I have no use for this pilot... why not a new Nien Nunb instead?

Offline Daigo-Bah

• Jedi Apprentice
  • What a desolate place this is...
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: February 24, 2008, 06:55 PM »
These detailed shots of the pilots are fantastic, I'm really psyched for this set.

Me too!  I think Hasbro went a little photoshop-shading-crazy with that official image, but it's easy to see the beauty of the sculpting.
Greg Reeves

My *New* top 3 most desired figures: 1) Yerka Mig; 2) Uncle Owen; 3) Hoth Luke

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: February 24, 2008, 07:21 PM »
I have no use for this pilot... why not a new Nien Nunb instead?

Yeah, I would've preferred a new Nien Nunb as well.  :-\
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com
Keeping Star Wars Cool Since 2008!

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #334 on: February 24, 2008, 09:51 PM »
why not a new Nien Nunb instead?

Probably simply because Nien Numb is iconic enough for an eventual single card release again whereas Ten Nunb here isn't...   
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #335 on: February 24, 2008, 10:05 PM »
I just wish they would make him in the correct Jump Suit for once

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: February 25, 2008, 12:01 AM »
why not a new Nien Nunb instead?

Probably simply because Nien Numb is iconic enough for an eventual single card release again whereas Ten Nunb here isn't...   

Maybe that's the case, but I think it's about time we got a new version of him... the one from 11 years ago is looking really outdated -

Since then we've had Ten Nunb or something pretty similar several times...

Cinema Scene

B-Wing Pack-In

Legacy Evolutions

I just would rather see a character that has a speaking line in the movie finally get a non-POTF2 sculpt.  Whether it's a carded figure, in an Evolutions set or whatever.  Guess in a few years if they don't update him I'll just customize my own.

The whole pilot set really is disappointing outside of the Snowspeeder pilot... don't really see a need for the female pilot (why not a character in the film, like a new fat Porkins?).  I'm thinking this set will easily be the biggest Evolutions pegwarmer yet.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2008, 12:02 AM by CHEWIE »

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #337 on: February 25, 2008, 12:18 AM »
don't really see a need for the female pilot (why not a character in the film, like a new fat Porkins?)

I think this is Dorovio in the attached picture

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #338 on: February 25, 2008, 01:18 AM »
I didn't think the old fat Porkins was a bad figure actually...  No separate leggings sculpt, but since this is a female pilot who had some cut footage (and maybe in the briefing anyway), I'm all for her.  Plus, the sculpt opens up the door for Hasbro to go down the road of female EU pilots...  Much like Ten Numb, while maybe a tad redundant, seemingly is a solid base for a human B-Winger, with hopefully the proper helmet.  Seems to be their route with these...

That's been what I've been saying they NEED to do for years.  They need the one definitive sculpt, and move on from there...  New heads, helmets, whatnot.  They're doing that with the A-Winger to give us the proper Arvel Crynyd, and gave us a briefing scene A-Winger with Tycho (and two headgear types to boot, so they covered all briefing bases).  I'm guessing the female X-Winger body will see some re-use as maybe a Jaina Solo or one of the Rogue Squadron pilots, and same with Ten and others... 

If I gotta re-buy Ten to get a bunch of other pilots I want though, I'm happy to do that actually.  Same with the Snowspeeder pilot hopefully churning out a decent Dak or Wedge Snowspeeder...  I just hope they take their time to do a proper Luke Snowspeeder figure up for us, and not an overly tall kitbash.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: February 25, 2008, 09:09 AM »
I just wish they would make him in the correct Jump Suit for once

That's what a second set and some paint is for. ;)
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: February 25, 2008, 11:00 AM »
I guess this female pilot to me is just lame, but Jaina Solo - I'd go for that.

Fat Porkins, I think is so outdated that it's not even funny... not only does he have the old straps, but his sculpt has very little detail on the outfit, and his articulation is lacking.  He's basically a POTF2 figure.

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
« Reply #341 on: February 25, 2008, 12:25 PM »
I'm surprised no one has really brought up the fact that Hasbro sculpted on a headwrap for Janson. As a fan of the Rogue Squadron stories, I would really have preferred a full head sculpt for Janson. Wearing the helmet  it doesn't matter if the figure has a headwrap, so go all out and give me a full head for Janson. Then they could re-use that head to make a Janson X-Wing Pilot later - it's all about making a figure you can re-use since Hasbro is all about that nowadays. But with this headsculpt, a X-Wing Pilot Janson would look as odd as the Comic Pack Hobbie. :(
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: February 25, 2008, 12:29 PM »
Fat Porkins, I think is so outdated that it's not even funny... not only does he have the old straps, but his sculpt has very little detail on the outfit, and his articulation is lacking.  He's basically a POTF2 figure.

Porkins is my favorite X-Wing Pilot so I really wish Hasbro would update him. However, I remember them joking about doing this in a QnA before (couldn't find a link).  :-\
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com
Keeping Star Wars Cool Since 2008!

Offline Daigo-Bah

• Jedi Apprentice
  • What a desolate place this is...
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: February 25, 2008, 02:16 PM »
But with this headsculpt, a X-Wing Pilot Janson would look as odd as the Comic Pack Hobbie. :(

I agree the Hobbie is strange because he has a Snowspeeder-style headsculpt but an X-Wing body; but I personally am so glad for the Janson the way he is.  The head wrap is accurate to Echo base briefing scenes without the helmet, or with for Snowspeeder displaying.  Besides, if they make a Rogue Squadron version, they have to use a different body anyway, so a new headsculpt shouldn't be too hard to make.  I am surprised though how many collectors are more interested in getting EU styling or characters over film ones; it wasn't that long ago that a perfect version of a Snowspeeder pilot (like this Janson) was always first priority over an EU novel character (not to pick on that example, Corran, just making an observation  :-*)
Greg Reeves

My *New* top 3 most desired figures: 1) Yerka Mig; 2) Uncle Owen; 3) Hoth Luke

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: February 25, 2008, 02:29 PM »
Anyone know which figures get the extra accessories in the new sets?  Specifically the staff that came with the Sith set and the electricity things that came with the apprentice set?