Author Topic: Official Movie Thread  (Read 350451 times)

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
Re: Official Movie Thread
« Reply #660 on: January 20, 2008, 09:43 AM »
There Will Be Blood. Can't recommend it enough.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #661 on: January 20, 2008, 09:19 PM »
I agree.  There Will Be Blood was amazing.

About that Marcus theater stuff, from what little I read, it seems like they won't open unproven films like Sweeney Todd or Cloverfield.  Maybe they can't afford to have a stinker...but they might go for sure things like Indy 4.   That Ultrascreen sounds cool.
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: January 21, 2008, 12:49 AM »
There Will Be Blood. Can't recommend it enough.

This fact cannot be reiterated enough. Absolutely outstanding.
- June 22, 2004 12:13 AM -

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #663 on: January 21, 2008, 01:19 AM »
I saw Cloverfield yesterday and thought it was great!  I'm glad they decided to actually show the monster(s) and didn't just leave that to our imaginations.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: January 21, 2008, 03:22 AM »
Saw both Cloverfield and Juno over the weekend. Both were equally awesome.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: January 21, 2008, 06:55 PM »
Saw both Cloverfield and Juno over the weekend. Both were equally awesome.

I saw Juno a few weeks back myself, and it quickly became my favorite film of 2007 (even though I saw it in 2008).  Ellen Page is absolutely incredible, and the rest of the cast (especially Allison Janney) is wonderful as well.  Also, if people are looking for more Ellen Page outstandingness, be sure to watch Hard Candy.  A very good film (if very disturbing), and she's incredible in that, too.  I think that she has the potential to be one of the best actresses of her generation, if not the best.

Oh, and I loved Cloverfield, too.  I thought it was very effective and the whole "shaky-cam" thing made the idea much more believable (well, as believable as a 25-story monster attacking a city can be, anyway).  I'm definitely planning on catching it again before it leaves theaters, as it merits a second viewing (and not just because I didn't see the whatever-it-was crash into the ocean during the Coney Island scene at the end). :)

On an unrelated note, Hasbro's doing a 14 Inch Tall, 100 dollar Cloverfield Monster toy for later this fall. 

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: January 21, 2008, 11:29 PM »
I also caught Juno last weekend, and I thought it was a very well done film. Well worth the $$$, and I can't wait to pick it up on DVD.

This weekend I caught Cloverfield twice. First show, I was in heaven hell thru the whole film. I sat second row from the screen, so I felt like I was right in the city with those poor guys and gals... I feel like I got the experience the filmmakers intended to give the viewer and more. Awesome take on the Godzilla/ King Kong type movie, and I loved the look of the monster. Can't wait for pics of the toy.

Second viewing(two days later) was not quite as good. I sat farther back and felt more distanced from the events in the film. The movie seemed a lot shorter when it was over, so I think I should've spaced out the viewing more... maybe 1 or 2 weeks in between. Still a good film, but I'll probably pass on the DVD until it's cheap. I believe a lot of the fun would be lost on a TV. It just wouldn't feel like I (the viewer) was in NYC during a monster attack, so see this while it's in theatres. 

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #667 on: January 22, 2008, 09:18 AM »
I'll tell you what, for as many times as I've seen Close Encounters at home, seeing a nice print on the big screen is a world of difference. So much more detail that you never catch both audio and visually.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g

Offline MetalJedi

• Jedi Knight
  • The Risk Always Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: January 22, 2008, 11:48 AM »
Where did you see Close Encounters at Anthony? I would love to see it on the big screen again.
I remember my dream now.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: January 22, 2008, 10:15 PM »
Just another quick vote for Juno as film of the year.  I was not overly excited to go see this, but it was absolutely fantastic.  Surprisingly funny and very emotional - it was put together perfectly.  Highly recommended!
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: January 24, 2008, 09:17 AM »
Where did you see Close Encounters at Anthony? I would love to see it on the big screen again.

They opened up a new Archlight in Sherman Oaks and are running the AFI 100 best series. The shining is next week. My wife is going to that one.

Offline Oboewan

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: January 24, 2008, 11:04 AM »
Just another quick vote for Juno as film of the year.  I was not overly excited to go see this, but it was absolutely fantastic.  Surprisingly funny and very emotional - it was put together perfectly.  Highly recommended!

I agree.   I wasn't expecting much out of it either and was totally surprised with the movie!  A great satire of a romantic comedy.... superb characters, story, music... it's all there.   Go see it!
"Who is more the fool... the fool or the fool who posts after him?"

Offline name

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I ate your llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: January 24, 2008, 03:18 PM »

I agree.   I wasn't expecting much out of it either and was totally surprised with the movie!  A great satire of a romantic comedy.... superb characters, story, music... it's all there.   Go see it!

Ditto...Juno is probably my favorite movie in the past year.
This sticker is dangerous and inconvenient, but I do love Fig Newtons.

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: January 27, 2008, 10:57 PM »
I'll add my vote to the Juno = great movie thing.

Anyway, caught Rambo today with my father. We both enjoyed it, but we couldn't compare it to anything as neither of us were really part of the target audiences for the first three films, and therefore did not see them.(I'm 16 and my dad is 60)

I hope to purchase a box set of the older Rambo movies from Super Target or Best Buy, just so my dad and I can spend some quality time together watching them. I've seen bits and pieces of them on TV, and they looked pretty good.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: January 29, 2008, 09:17 AM »
Saw Cloverfield yesterday, great idea, great execution. Well worth checking out.