Author Topic: Galactic Heroes Thread  (Read 352110 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: Playskool Galactic Heroes Thread
« Reply #1005 on: September 5, 2008, 10:35 AM »
With Hasbro's new dedication to creating vehicles for the GH line, which one(s) would you like to see next?  It seems like most anything could be made (that would sell anyways), and personally, I think they are kind of cool.  So far, from what I can remember, we've gotten/are getting the following (not counting the two "convertible" dealies we got previously):

Original Trilogy
Millennium Falcon
X-Wing (multiple versions)
Darth Vader's TIE Advanced
Tatooine Skiff
Snowspeeder

Prequel Trilogy
Naboo Starfighter
Obi-Wan's Jedi Starfighter
AT-RT (Camo)

Obviously, any new ones would be pretty cool (and I'd likely pick them up), and I'm particularly jazzed about the Snowspeeder.  I wouldn't mind seeing some of the following:

Landspeeder (real version - not the "convertible" one)
TIE Fighter
Slave 1
AT-AT (would really be the ultimate GH vehicle most likely)
AT-ST (should be possible, similar in size to the AT-RT)
A-Wing
B-Wing
Y-Wing
Sandcrawler

Ok, basically all the OT ships :P.

Republic Gunship
ARC 170

Anyways, I guess about any of them would be fair game now (at least action-oriented ones), but I do hope we see more vehicles - particularly OT ones.

Offline The Stolen CCG License

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1006 on: September 5, 2008, 03:00 PM »
Personally, for a good while now, I've mostly just been wanting a couple of cute little Vulture Droidfighters for my boys to chase after with their N-1s (and now JSF).  A Droid Trifighter couldn't hurt either, though it's probably even less exciting.  I realize these aren't passenger vehicles, and that's usually most of a vehicle's charm; but for that reason they could be super small and still get the job done.

Meanwhile, did we just miss our best chance for a Malakili?  I realize we shouldn't be expecting Galactic Heroes to blanket the Vintage assortment (especially as 3.75 still hasn't done it)... but, man, it's getting there nicely anyway!  Even if a newly tooled figure would have stretched cost in the Rancor box, it might have been nice in a 2-pack released around the same time. 

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #1007 on: September 5, 2008, 04:05 PM »
With Hasbro's new dedication to creating vehicles for the GH line, which one(s) would you like to see next?

On one hand, I'd love to see more vehicles.  I think the A-Wing and the Landspeeder might be able to make the $20 box set theme and still turn out well.

On the other hand though, I'd rather they didn't do too many a year just due to the extra cost.  I mean, I love the Vader's TIE and JSF, but I've already shelled out $120 for the 6 box sets so far this year and there are at least 4 more coming.  It adds up fast!
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1008 on: September 5, 2008, 04:11 PM »

On one hand, I'd love to see more vehicles.  I think the A-Wing and the Landspeeder might be able to make the $20 box set theme and still turn out well.

On the other hand though, I'd rather they didn't do too many a year just due to the extra cost.  I mean, I love the Vader's TIE and JSF, but I've already shelled out $120 for the 6 box sets so far this year and there are at least 4 more coming.  It adds up fast!

An excellent point Jeff - and I agree fully.  I've always talked about Hasbro's "pacing" of things with their Star Wars (and other) lines, and I'd be fine if they took their time a little bit putting some of these out.  I can't believe the amount of product they've been pushing out lately for their various lines in a given year.  I have to imagine that the beginning days of the POTF2 line were a lot less stressful when you only have 12-24 figures and a couple of vehicles to look for all year.  I've ended up passing on a couple of the scenes (Reek/AT-RT) just because I already put down the money for four other packs at $20-$25 each.  Like you said, it adds up quickly.  I think your choices of the A-Wing and Landspeeder would make good sets too, since they aren't too big.  Like I said, I'm really happy we're getting a Snowspeeder next year too.  A regular TIE or Slave 1 would be cool, but would probably be more along the lines of the Vader's TIE set (with a repackaged Pilot/Boba).  If they ever did something like the AT-AT it would have to be a bigger boxed item (larger than the Falcon even), and likely an exclusive or something.  It would be sort of neat though.
« Last Edit: September 5, 2008, 04:12 PM by Brian »

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1009 on: September 5, 2008, 08:54 PM »
I agree on the pacing of things.  I want to be able to grab all of the ships, but it's difficult when the spending adds up so fast.  I'd love to see a regular TIE, although I haven't even seen Vader's TIE yet.  A Slave would be great and an AT-AT would be an amazing item for sure.

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #1010 on: September 8, 2008, 02:38 PM »
Good news for those of us missing the Bly wave, Hasbro announced in the latest JD QnA that they will be re-releasing the entire wave (in new packaging) around January 2009.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #1011 on: September 11, 2008, 05:16 PM »
We picked up the two TRU exclusive sets today.  :)

The AT-RT is much bigger than I was expecting from the pics.  Wider than and almost as tall as the 3.75" version.  Kind of cool that the seat holds 2 GH figures, Gree and a trooper have been riding around on it for the last 30 minutes.

And the Rancor set is great  At first glance, it seemed skimpy because it's only got 3 figures (2x Gamor Pigs, 1x Luke) but it does have a giant bone accessory that probably takes up as much plastic as a figure, so I guess that counts as another fig.  The rancor itself is fantastic.  I love the fact that his maw opens up to "eat" the other GH figures.  He's eaten just about everyone who fits in there in the last half-hour!  JarJar seems to be the boys' favorite rancor treat though... ;)

Both sets do seem a little overpriced at $25, but I think that's more TRU's fault than Hasbro's...
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #1012 on: September 11, 2008, 05:41 PM »
Thanks for the mini review - if Hasbro would stop throwing straight duplicate figures in these sets every single time; the $25 price tag wouldn't sting so bad...even repaints or older HTF figures would lessen the blow.

This just feels like highway robbery.  The X-Wing set with Biggs is the worst of the bunch.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1013 on: September 12, 2008, 10:13 AM »
Thanks for the mini review - if Hasbro would stop throwing straight duplicate figures in these sets every single time; the $25 price tag wouldn't sting so bad...even repaints or older HTF figures would lessen the blow.

This just feels like highway robbery.  The X-Wing set with Biggs is the worst of the bunch.

Yeah, its easier to stomach when they have just a little more new to the sets overall.  I didn't mind picking up the Rancor set I guess, mainly because I was psyched for the Rancor itself - but I didn't mind getting some extra Gamorrean Guards as well.  You're on the money with the Biggs set though.  I think that's the only OT set that I've seen and passed on so far, just because I can't justify the whole set for basically Biggs.  I guess another X-Wing is cool and everything, but we've got the Dagobah and another version coming in the next 6+ months as well.  I'll echo Jeff's comments on the Rancor set, its really spiffy.  The "eating" function is cool (as is the pop-open back to get the figures out).  This line is really good at realizing the "playability" to its full potential.

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1014 on: September 13, 2008, 01:44 AM »
This line is really good at realizing the "playability" to its full potential.

*Almost* full potential  ;).  I guess I'm still a tiny bit miffed about buying a Poncho Leia that can't ride a speeder bike.  At best, that one is going to mean a future redo effort that could have gone toward some other figure, instead (like an Ewok Village Leia). 

Also, the newest wave has a couple figures with thin and soft plastic bits that might not stand up so great against pre-school play, and that really shouldn't ever be necessary to achieve the right GH look.  Specifically, I'm not optimistic about those tiny arm joints on the Destroyer Droid, or to a lesser extent the arm on Bar2's dome.

Still, A+++ for playability.  Considering the 3.75" history, I'm a humongous jerk for complaining about the *very* few playability misfires in GH.  Paploo's hand, the Rancor's mouth, and the HUGE cockpit on Vader's Tie are all so insanely awesome  that they manage to go back and make some older Galactic Heroes toys even more awesome than they had a right to be.  That's crazy.  Any bets on whether battle droids can ride the new STAP?

« Last Edit: September 13, 2008, 01:48 AM by The Stolen CCG License »

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1015 on: September 18, 2008, 03:31 PM »
Still missing Vader's Tie and the Mos Eisley set.  Is Target done carrying these general releases?  I haven't seen any since their sale a month or so ago.  I have no need (thank god for locals) to shop at WM so I don't know what the situation is there.  I see TRU gets these sets in from time to time, but I don't like that extra $5 charge.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1016 on: September 18, 2008, 04:14 PM »
I don't know if you're interested in going the online route, but HTS routinely has those sets in stock there - if you don't mind paying the shipping.  I've gotten both the Mos Eisley and Vader's TIE sets there, and haven't seen either of them locally.  Actually, I haven't seen any of the new sets at retail, and I don't think our Targets or WMs have any at all right now (or for awhile).  TRU here routinely has the X-Wing and Jabba repackaged sets.

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1017 on: September 20, 2008, 03:04 PM »
I don't know if you're interested in going the online route, but HTS routinely has those sets in stock there - if you don't mind paying the shipping.  I've gotten both the Mos Eisley and Vader's TIE sets there, and haven't seen either of them locally.  Actually, I haven't seen any of the new sets at retail, and I don't think our Targets or WMs have any at all right now (or for awhile).  TRU here routinely has the X-Wing and Jabba repackaged sets.

I wouldn't be totally sure your areas have even gotten the Dewback wave yet (well, maybe like two cases at Target).  I miss out on items, too, but I refuse to believe those sets would have come and gone in my own area without me seeing Arena scenes left behind.  Those things are both a prequel item and, well, incredibly lame.  I've known when I've missed Vader's Ties because I've seen JSFs here and there - and it's a way better offering. 

I'm not sure I've heard anybody east of California mention a find at Wal-mart.  Target and TRU sightings, sure, but a ton of Wal-marts don't seem to have carried anything except the Jabba/Biggs wave (i.e. don't seem to have ordered anything since 7/26).   

« Last Edit: September 20, 2008, 03:16 PM by The Stolen CCG License »

Offline Rune Haako

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1018 on: September 21, 2008, 08:59 AM »
New ones listed at Entertainment Earth,

http://www.entertainmentearth.com/prodinfo.asp?number=HS87842E

Luminara Unduli & Super Battle Droid
Padme Amidala & Jar Jar Binks
Spider Droid & Clone Trooper