Author Topic: Lord of the Rings Figures  (Read 277738 times)

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
Re: LOTR Trilogy Figures
« Reply #780 on: July 24, 2004, 10:31 PM »
ROTK EE giftset:

So, am I to assume this Minas Tirith thingy is a stashbox? ;)
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #781 on: July 24, 2004, 10:39 PM »
oooohhhhh, that looks awesome. i passed on the other 2 gift sets and just bought the extended editions, 'cause i don't need more crap in my house... i really wanted the lotr:fotr set though, 'cause those bookends were bad ass... the gollum statue i thought sucked. but this is awesome. i might have to break down and spend the extra dough and get that instead of just the regular extended edition.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #782 on: July 29, 2004, 01:14 AM »
Finally got some decent shots of my LOTR stuff...enjoy!

Lord of the Rings

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #783 on: August 2, 2004, 12:49 PM »
Gates of Mordor
Coronation Set

Are both in stock at Amazon

Might pick up the There and Back Again Set, down to $20 now too

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #784 on: August 2, 2004, 02:26 PM »
Wanted to say your collection looks nice Scott, I've been enjoying checking out all your pics over in the Collections forums.  Quite envious :).

Offline FX-7

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #785 on: August 2, 2004, 04:48 PM »
Thanks OCB for the tip on the Box Sets, Mouth of Sauron will soon be mine!

And nice stuff you have there!
Medical Droid Extrodinaire

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #786 on: August 2, 2004, 05:06 PM »
Found the Gates of Mordor Pack at Wal-Mart today. It was priced at $30, and the had a whole endcap full of them.

Does anyone have this set yet?
The ones I saw had the very first version of Legolas (from FOTR) in the package. That can't be right.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #787 on: August 2, 2004, 09:08 PM »
This probably explains why I haven't found jack **** at TRU lately.

From The GD:

Our TRU store insider, Dragonspy Jesse, send in this VERY DISTURBING report from his mid-west TRU store. This has the potential to be devastating news for LOTR collectors everywhere:

It frustrates me to no end to say this, but unless you live in a large metro area, you may not find the new Toybiz LOTR stuff at Toys R Us. All of the new releases, (fell beast, coronation, black gates, and FOTR, TTT, ROTK 3), have been assigned as items that will not be carried in the smaller TRUs. Our store team is working feverishly to get the company to reverse this trend (it's happening to many other action figures as well), but we can only do so much. I'm not sure if this is a national directive, or just something happening in the midwest. If this upsets you at all, PLEASE call 1-800-TOYSRUS. This is the company's customer service line. Tell them you are dissappointed with the selection of action figures in the smaller stores, especially Lord of the Rings stuff. A grasroots effort like this one may help get these figures where they need to be!
NOTE: Please get out your cell phones and use your home phones and call TRU and complain or voice your opinion. Also, visit TRU.com and leave them an e-mail or note voicing your opinion!
-------------------

It could also be some alarmist BS, which I've noticed the GD is quite capable of posting. (They're partners with RS, what can I say....)

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #788 on: August 3, 2004, 12:12 AM »
Actually, they may very well be correct.  I have some sources at TRU myself, and there are pretty good TRU stores that aren't carrying some well regarded lines.  Among them are lines like Marvel Legends, Simpsons, MOTU, some McFarlane Sports Picks items...I know it seems weird, but things like this are happening.  It's got to do with what some of the buyers are doing.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #789 on: August 3, 2004, 08:31 AM »
I saw that report as well, and was wondering if it was true.  I would be kind of surprised, because the LOTR figures seem to sell pretty well (at Target, Wal-Mart) around here.  However, our TRU has been a wasteland in that area as well, just a solid section of the old packaged Gollum/Smeagols...and a few of the box sets.  Nothing new for quite a long time now, maybe this is why.

On another note, I saw this picture over at Action-Figure.com, of the Balrog prototype alongside a Gandalf the White figure, to show the scale.  This thing is going to be larger than I thought.  I'm not able to be into this line big time, but man that Balrog is tempting.  (Image courtesy Action-Figure.com):

Also, a few more PICS and some info can be found at the link.  Looks pretty cool!  Sounds like the pricepoint will be around $70.
« Last Edit: August 3, 2004, 09:25 AM by mosnab »

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #790 on: August 3, 2004, 11:14 AM »
I have noticed TRU hasn't received anything locally since April. My local store isn't even carrying the Minimates. (Had to go to Cedar Rapids for those.)

There may be truth to it after all. Now I have to find a reasonably priced Shelob wave online.  >:(

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #791 on: August 3, 2004, 11:18 AM »
Dang that's weird news...my neighborhood TRU is middle sized I'd say, there is 2-3 big ones here in the Metro area and 2 small ones and 2 middle sized ones.  I love it that individual buyers at Chains are able to affect hundreds of peoples collections on a whim
« Last Edit: August 3, 2004, 11:19 AM by OCB »

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #792 on: August 3, 2004, 11:30 AM »
Frightening, isn't it? At this rate, I won't need to bother with TRU anymore. I've bought more stuff at Wal-Mart and Target recently. They're getting left behind more and more each day in regards to the competition.
« Last Edit: August 3, 2004, 11:30 AM by Clark Griswold »

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #793 on: August 3, 2004, 11:34 AM »
Wasn't that the death knell of MOTU?  Some guy at Wal Mart said he didn't want to buy them anymore?

I wonder how much influence they also have with character selection and the like...

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #794 on: August 3, 2004, 01:37 PM »
On another note, I saw this picture over at Action-Figure.com, of the Balrog prototype alongside a Gandalf the White figure, to show the scale.  This thing is going to be larger than I thought.  I'm not able to be into this line big time, but man that Balrog is tempting.  

NECA actually makes that Balrog.  A completed version was featured on the most recent issue of Tomart's.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback