Author Topic: The Walking Dead  (Read 558048 times)

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: The Walking Dead
« Reply #2445 on: October 7, 2019, 01:17 AM »
"You know you should've killed that..."

Russian satellite that was causing the dead to rise fell out of the sky. Show is over.  I was kind of surprised this entire season is going to be a flashback.

Yeah, that would negate the next spin-off... Walking Deadgrassi the Next Generation.

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2446 on: October 7, 2019, 09:21 AM »
What is the distance between Alexandria and Oceanside?  I had assumed this was a couple day walk.

How did the Alexandria crew make it to the satellite (which I assumed landed fairly close to Oceanside) so quickly to help put out the fires?

Online Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2447 on: October 7, 2019, 04:30 PM »
I hope that Satellite does change something up... 10 years (or whatever) after the outbreak, it's getting less and less believable that there are any walkers at all.  They need to change this show into something where it's not just rival groups fighting each other.  That was fun for 3 or 4 seasons, but it's so completely stale...

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #2448 on: October 7, 2019, 11:11 PM »
I'm of the mind they need to have Rick pick up the kids and Michonne, then kill everyone off besides Carol, Daryl and the dog.

Offline Chris M

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Time to nut up or shut up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2449 on: October 11, 2019, 08:42 AM »
I finished watching online this morning. 

Meh...

No real "new" storylines created.  We'll see what happens, but it's starting to grow stale with me.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."  Ben franklin

Embrace the suck.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #2450 on: October 11, 2019, 10:12 AM »
I'm still hoping to see the cast of FTWD show up on TWD as walkers.  TWD is far enough ahead in time for them to shamble their way to Alexandria!
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #2451 on: October 14, 2019, 01:10 AM »
Grind whatever is going on to  halt and do an episode about crazy evil people. They introduce us to new Gamma (not enough Whisperer characters, I guess), and resolve what happened to abandoned baby's mamma.  Negan never got an origin episode, nor did the Governor (he did get two solo episodes), but more Whisperer origins for better or worse.  End where the last episode ended...they've done this sort of thing before and it slows things down. Was it early season 6 where a 24 hour period is covered by some 7 episodes?

Offline Chris M

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Time to nut up or shut up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2452 on: October 14, 2019, 09:00 AM »
You know, it used to be I'd stop everything else I was doing when this show came on.  Now, I'm working on other stuff while it's on and I'm finding that I'm not missing anything.

I hate to sit and bitch every time this show is on, but I've watched for 9 seasons, so I guess I want to know how it ends.  Again, is any of this creating a storyline, or is it just a filler episode early in the season?  Is it a flashback episode, filled with flashbacks, or is it a "current timeline" episode?

So whatever, I guess the Whispers will be built up to be the next super-bad guy and we'll have an "epic" war that lasts all of 5 minutes and ends in an anti-climactic scene.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."  Ben franklin

Embrace the suck.

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2453 on: October 14, 2019, 09:03 AM »
Yeah, not a very interesting start to the season. 

Season premier was fighting a forest fire.   

Second episode is an origin story for beta and gamma that I'm not sure really helped move the story along.  I'm not sure how believable the Beta origin story even is.  He seems fairly intelligent and a stable leader for The Whisperers, yet was found in a nuthouse where he appears to have spent significant time as a patient.

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #2454 on: October 14, 2019, 11:00 AM »
I agree it's been awhile since I was counting down the minutes to this show. That being said the list of shows, especially dramas, that are still super riveting and clever after five six etc years isn't very long. I guess I just don't have that high of expectations anymore. Which doesn't mean it couldn't be better. In the end all the comic is is them moving from "bad guys" to next group of "bad guys".

Out of curiosity what do people want them to do otherwise? An hour and a half movie with humans vs zombies is one thing. But a show solely about that would get stale fast as well.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2019, 11:01 AM by GrandMoffNick »
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2455 on: October 14, 2019, 11:46 AM »
Out of curiosity what do people want them to do otherwise? An hour and a half movie with humans vs zombies is one thing. But a show solely about that would get stale fast as well.

I've not read the comics, so my thoughts don't have anything to do with "being true to the comics".

First off, I'd like to see a little more action.  If there is going to be conflict between The Whisperers and Alexandria et. al. I would like to see some of the conflict.

Second, I'd like to see a larger story arc.  Maybe something around community building, or finding the helicopter people and creating a vaccine.

I still somewhat enjoy the show, but it seems to have lost a lot of the suspense and interest that it had managed to create over the first five seasons.  Maybe there are too many characters, or the writing/pacing has changed, but it needs to either wrap things up or revitalize the story.

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #2456 on: October 15, 2019, 12:32 AM »
I thought the show was better when they were on the move, but so much time has passed that in-universe that that doesn't work.

I just flat out don't care about the characters besides Carol and Daryl.  Killing Carl was big mistake. I'm curious to see where Michonne goes, this being her last season.  The rest are a big "Meh."

And it really lives or dies by the characters. The basic undead apocalypse premise wears thin over time because in the end either some form of human civilization is restored, gradually retaking the world or everyone dies.  It's not a genre than has that much life. Heh. 

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #2457 on: October 15, 2019, 10:05 AM »
I agree it is better when they are on the move, but also think this far into the apocalypse that building communities is what people would be doing. Again I think we are getting what you get from 10 years of a show.
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Online Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2458 on: October 15, 2019, 12:33 PM »
I agree it is better when they are on the move, but also think this far into the apocalypse that building communities is what people would be doing. Again I think we are getting what you get from 10 years of a show.

I for one would like to see a community get built and have the danger be from something other than some other community of ********. 

Have the sickness evolve, have animals start zombifying... have aliens land... have them find a whole city where there's a massive police state built around total security where they have technology and heavy weaponry... ANYTHING other than "good guys build a city, bad guys show up to fight them."

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #2459 on: October 17, 2019, 02:16 PM »
When animals start zombifying, it's all over. All it takes is an undead mosquito biting you.  Even just vertebrates, remember Resident Evil 3's murder of crows attacking?  You cannot survive that...except in the deep Arctic, where you'd just freeze to death.