Author Topic: Where is Rey?  (Read 9418 times)

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
Re: Where is Rey?
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2016, 01:50 PM »
Is this THAT big a deal?  Someone made a call about what they thought would sell, in the past they probably would have been right about it.  Then Rey became an instant hit, and they're paying with lost sales and bad press.

I'm all about equality, but no one's going to look at a movie like... say... Avengers and talk about needing as many Black Widow toys as Iron Man toys in the pipeline - because that would be absurd from a business standpoint.

These folks are paid to predict what will sell, someone goofed and underestimated the character's potential instead assuming that Kylo Ren and Finn were where it was at... that sort of thing happens all the time.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2016, 01:50 PM by Rob »

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2016, 03:22 PM »
If Stormtrooper helmet on/off doesn't make 2 figures, then Finn jacket on/off isn't different either (except Hasbro would make a vest and paint the sleeves to keep it cheap.  So really no difference in my opinion.

Sure, but as far as I know they only made one black suit Finn with his jacket off and that's even a pack-in.  I think it's also a little easier to make a figure with removable helmet than it is a removable coat.   ;)  What someone considers a different outfit is fairly subjective...The point is that unlike dozens of Padme or Leia outfits to draw from, there really isn't a lot more they can offer for a differentiated Rey figure.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2016, 03:58 PM »
The point is that unlike dozens of Padme or Leia outfits to draw from, there really isn't a lot more they can offer for a differentiated Rey figure.

Imagine if they had tried to go overboard - I've got six different Rey configurations they could have cashed in on -

1 - Jakku outfit, gloves on, headwrap on, goggles on
2 - Jakku outfit, gloves on, headwrap on, goggles off
3 - Jakku outfit, gloves on, headwrap off
4 - Jakku outfit, gloves off, headwrap off, X-Wing Helmet on
5 - Starkiller Base = gloves off, headwrap off, FO Stormtrooper blaster
6 - "Resistance" Rey

It's a fine line between "there's not enough Rey" and "you're taking advantage of us with all these versions".   :-\

To me, that's what is so great about the Walmart Black Series 3.75" Rey.  They could have easily pooped on us by offering "regular" Rey and "headwrap" Rey as two separate figures.  Instead, they treated it like a removable helmet and gave us both and left it up to us whether to buy one or two for display. 
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2016, 04:04 PM »
In my experience with this ordeal, it appears to be another excuse for "social justice warriors" and the rest of the keyboard warrior types to shove their beliefs in people's faces through the use of social media. "Look at all of these Rey figures I cannot buy in stores! I am offended because this is misrepresenting me! Please pay attention to me!"
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2016, 05:40 PM »
See, I don't get that.  There are a lot of female collectors/fans that I know that really use social media as their primary means of expressing their fandom.  They don't really engage in the collecting site message board culture.  So I don't fault them at all for taking to social media to express their feelings on this Where's Rey issue.  And you know who the real fans are because they stand out from the agenda driven people who don't have a depth of knowledge of the source material. 
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback