Author Topic: Comic Book Thread  (Read 135922 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: Comic Book Thread
« Reply #435 on: May 10, 2015, 12:19 AM »
Had time to like Friday and walked into a local comic shop...walked out with Secret Wars...interesting

Interesting that they are more or less doing a Secret Wars/Crisis mashup.   I haven't read any comics in years but I'm intereSted in where this is going

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: May 11, 2015, 01:33 PM »
Had time to like Friday and walked into a local comic shop...walked out with Secret Wars...interesting

Interesting that they are more or less doing a Secret Wars/Crisis mashup.   I haven't read any comics in years but I'm intereSted in where this is going

Funny, I had the opposite opinion.  I've been collecting Marvel FOREVER and the whole crisis/reboot thing may be my jumping off point.  It's become very clear to me over the years that comics like The Avengers have been little more than a marketing tool for the movies.  You need 12-24 issues to get through one story, often with gaping plot holes, missing information, and fairly poor storytelling.  They have all but wiped out the multiverse at this point and are now setting up battle world territories across the merged remaining universes, so Marvel Zombies have a plot of land, all the female characters have a plot of land, all the Thors have come together to police everything...pretty ridiculous stuff.  I might jump off following Secret Wars, then see what evolves over the next year. 
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #437 on: May 11, 2015, 01:52 PM »
I plan to pick up the main Secret Wars series just to get an understanding of what happens to get everything to the unified Marvel Universe.  Seems like the Battleworld stuff will be kind of a mess in the transition.  And maybe they're having a little too much fun with it.  But hopefully it'll be decent once we get out the other end.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: January 22, 2016, 09:26 PM »
Read a few different articles on this today, but apparently Dc may be planning another line-wise reboot this summer:

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/JoshWildingNewsAndReviews/news/?a=130287

Some of the rumors are that they will try to bring things more in line with their now growing movie (and tv) universe, and characters outside of that may not get as much attention.  Also rumors of Scott Snyder leaving Batman after 5 plus years, as that title will be going to twice a month and be more tied in with the DCU (he may be heading to Detective Comics though).  I don't read a lot of DC since the last reboot, I started off with a lot of titles but have now dwindled down to just Batman, the Flash, and Justice League.

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: January 24, 2016, 06:19 PM »
Ugh... isn't Marvel doing a reboot too? I know they were planning one but it got delayed and I honestly haven't kept up.

Might be a good point to drop all my non-Star Wars and Walking Dead subs.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #440 on: January 25, 2016, 09:05 AM »
Marvel completed their reboot a couple months back with the Secret Wars cross-over.  Basically, Molecule Man was a time-bomb created to erase all off history across the multi-verse.  Doom finds out, defeats the beings who created him, and does what he can to salvage the few bits of reality still existing.  So he creates Battleworld, where he rules as God Emperor Doom.  Everyone believes Battleworld is how the universe always was (false memories) save for the few people who helped create it, and a few people who survived the destruction on high-tech life boats (Reed Richards, Thanos, Black Panther, Miles and Parker, among them).  In the end, Battleworld falls apart in a battle between Reed and Doom (which I haven't read yet since the core book is running a few months late), and the new, single Marvel Universe is created.  In it, they've cherry-picked their favorite characters from the Ultimates Universe, '90s New Universe, classic Marvel Universe, and random parallel timelines (Spider-Gwen, Maestro Hulk).

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: January 25, 2016, 09:15 AM »
Seems like a lot of work to bring a few Ultimates characters into the "normal" Marvel Universe.  I was not very impressed with any of the latest incarnation of Secret Wars.  Doom takes Sue for his wife and Reed's kids as well - lots of room for great character reactions here, but it all falls flat.  Lots of wasted potential in this one.  I always think it might be time to drop out of Marvel comics for the most part and this is likely going to be my dropping off point.  It's unfortunate that no one can figure out how to just make an ongoing series without huge universal implications and character reboots every few years. 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #442 on: January 25, 2016, 12:05 PM »
I think they did the best they could to clean up a very messy situation.  And it seems like this'll be permanent for a change.  The core Secret Wars book was hit and miss.  Some pretty shocking deaths, but it seems like they're not gonna be permanent.

I'm surprised they opted to go with old-man Hawkeye, old-man Logan, and old-man Hulk, and replace the main characters with their kids (and some random Asian guy).  I'm not sure how long it'll take before they each find their fountains of youth.

I prefer this solution to DC's "everything before is non-canon" new 52.  At least they didn't nuke 75 years of legacy.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: January 25, 2016, 04:23 PM »
I think I'm still bitter that they made Thor a girl, Hawk & Wolvie old, and Cap & Spidey black for pretty much no reason (or maybe there is a white and a black Spidey now just to keep everyone happy?).  The deaths in SW are meaningless since the universe gets arbitrarily re-written.  Too many marketing gimmicks when there is plenty of story left to tell and really interesting existing characters to do so with.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: January 28, 2016, 04:59 PM »

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: January 28, 2016, 06:24 PM »

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: January 29, 2016, 12:37 AM »
I know the meme is to make fun of DC for being too dark and gritty but this is just feeding directly into those criticisms
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #447 on: January 29, 2016, 08:13 AM »
So Velma's what, 8 years old now?

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: January 29, 2016, 09:16 AM »
Betty has a rack.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #449 on: January 29, 2016, 10:11 AM »
DC has just released an updated image of the new and improved XTREME Scooby Doo -

"The name's Scooby D.
And I rock the telly.
I'm half Joe Camel and a third Fonzarelli.
I'm the Kung-Fu hippie, from Gangsta City.
I'm a rappin' surfer.
You the fool I pity."
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender