Author Topic: We need more VTC figures!  (Read 3692 times)

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
Re: We need more VTC figures!
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2021, 04:39 PM »
I think a lot of this stuff is out of Hasbro's control. For example, Last Jedi divided the fanbase, and made anything related to the sequels virtually unsellable. That's my theory as to why Rise of Skywalker had zero figures made outside of Rey, Kylo, and some repaint troopers. TVC seems to be a cost issue due to the cost to make a figure, plus Disney taking whatever giant percentage they take for the license, which is why we get a lot of repaints and rereleases. Then Disney wants to prevent spoilers for Star Wars, which is why I think we don't get these coordinated releases for Star Wars like Hasbro does with the Marvel CU stuff.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2021, 04:59 PM »
On the reissue front?  If Hasbro is really going to focus on ROGUE ONE this year, then why not reissue the Tarkin figure?  And the same goes for the Tank Driver and Commander.

As for other possible TVC Rogue One figures?  These seem to be some obvious ones that would be at least reasonable well received:
-Baze Malbus
-Director Krennic
-Bodhi Rook
-Cassian Andor (Jedha)
-Saw Gerrera
-Admiral Raddus
-Shoretrooper Officers (Squad Leader, Captain)
-Bail Organa
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2021, 05:04 PM »
Good list.  I'd take a handful of Blue Squadron pilots too and maybe some Jedha citizens/pilgrims.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2021, 05:04 PM by Dave »

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2021, 06:25 PM »
32 figures where 16 will be new and 16 will be "refresh/repack/photo real/updates" because of profit margin needs.  16 "new" figures to get spread out over 11 movies, 3-4 animated series, and the new TV Shows.  They are going to be hopelessly behind forever from here on out as the galaxy keeps expanding but the 3.75" line shrinks.

And the TVC diehards are still hurting for their ANH Luke Han and Leia...plus the rest of the 96, so forget about any new media being in focus at least from the fan POV. I hope we get a Hasbro shake-up that leads to a little confidence in dedicated lines for the upcoming projects, in whatever cost effective form they need it to take. I guess the current mode might be Mission Fleet, but that is starting out behind the 8 ball as another new scale with very little depth yet, hitting all the low-hanging fruit first (though kudos on getting a Bluurg made.)

It's going to get worse, even for the Black Series collectors, as more and more slots there get eaten up by repaints/kitbashes to maximize on costs and keep the line at only $25 a figure. The current business model is going to be a long slow death until they break out of it and approach these toys as some sort of cohesive thing again.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2021, 09:57 PM »
5 POA doesn't count.

I’m with Matt on that haha.

Retro is fine for 5poa but the rest blow.  I’d be fine with lesser articulated stuff but not way lesser.  I’d honestly rather see a price hike for more new and more quantities.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2021, 10:04 PM »
5 POA doesn't count.

I’m with Matt on that haha.

Retro is fine for 5poa but the rest blow.  I’d be fine with lesser articulated stuff but not way lesser.  I’d honestly rather see a price hike for more new and more quantities.

I'm with Rob. Glad I got something.
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2021, 10:14 PM »
Yeah I want quality and quantity, but if I had to choose one, it would be quantity.  I want weirdos, background characters, a robust representation of the movies in collection form.   Having 10 figures from a whole movie does nothing for me.

Offline StBrianOfMinneapolis

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Biggs was right!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2021, 09:12 PM »
Yeah I want quality and quantity, but if I had to choose one, it would be quantity.  I want weirdos, background characters, a robust representation of the movies in collection form.   Having 10 figures from a whole movie does nothing for me.

Same here... I need way more random space jerks in my life.
Macklunkey!

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2021, 10:39 PM »
On the reissue front?  If Hasbro is really going to focus on ROGUE ONE this year, then why not reissue the Tarkin figure?  And the same goes for the Tank Driver and Commander.

As for other possible TVC Rogue One figures?  These seem to be some obvious ones that would be at least reasonable well received:
-Baze Malbus
-Director Krennic
-Bodhi Rook
-Cassian Andor (Jedha)
-Saw Gerrera
-Admiral Raddus
-Bail Organa

Bail Organa would be good, but I don’t need reissues.  Give me that slug that they hooked Bodhi up to.  Mon Mothma... General Draven... Jeddah Pilgrim... Galen and  Lyra Erso... more rebel grunts from the Scarif assault... Gold Leader... more of Saw’s crew...

The only reissue I want is that stormtrooper and I wish they’d sell them in bulk at a discount.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2021, 10:52 AM »

-Baze Malbus
-Director Krennic
-Bodhi Rook
-Cassian Andor (Jedha)
-Saw Gerrera
-Admiral Raddus
-Bail Organa

Bail Organa would be good, but I don’t need reissues.  Give me that slug that they hooked Bodhi up to.  Mon Mothma... General Draven... Jeddah Pilgrim... Galen and  Lyra Erso... more rebel grunts from the Scarif assault... Gold Leader... more of Saw’s crew...

The only reissue I want is that stormtrooper and I wish they’d sell them in bulk at a discount.

Agreed.  The Bail Organa that I'm hoping for would be an all-new figure that's specific to his look in Rogue One.

As for the others?  I'm hoping for TVC level upgrades to those Rogue One 5 POA figures.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
Re: 2023 TVC Wave 3 (New TVC Wave 29)
« Reply #25 on: November 3, 2022, 02:15 PM »
I wonder if some of the discussion around the community about how Hasbro could re-use parts to make a whole bunch of troopers resonated with Hasbro (Imperial Tank Drivers, Transport Drivers, Mudtroopers, etc), and they thought "Hey!  That's a great idea" and thought that we wouldn't notice the differences with the troopers on Aldhani. 

I'm fine with some trooper kitbashes (ideally still screen accurate though), but along the way we need more truly new figures, new characters, etc. 

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
Re: Re: 2023 TVC Wave 3 (New TVC Wave 29)
« Reply #26 on: November 3, 2022, 02:23 PM »
I wonder if some of the discussion around the community about how Hasbro could re-use parts to make a whole bunch of troopers resonated with Hasbro (Imperial Tank Drivers, Transport Drivers, Mudtroopers, etc), and they thought "Hey!  That's a great idea" and thought that we wouldn't notice the differences with the troopers on Aldhani. 

I'm fine with some trooper kitbashes (ideally still screen accurate though), but along the way we need more truly new figures, new characters, etc.

This! 

I mean, Star Wars isn't Cassian Andor (or other main) takes on the whole Empire by him/herself.  Even though Dak Ralter felt so, doesn't make it so.  Give us Luthen, Skeen, Nemik, Cinta, The Client.  Characters that should have been done by now.
« Last Edit: November 3, 2022, 02:25 PM by P-Siddy »

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 3, 2022, 04:33 PM »

Regarding the price point?  It's interesting that the Target exclusive Axe Woves got rolled out at $16.99, and people thought that was just Target pricing an exclusive figure a little higher.  But no - it's the harbinger of Hasbro hiking the price on TVC figures to $16.99.  At this price point there should be more new sculpts in this line.  The trooper repaints are getting out of hand.

Everything I see Hasbro doing regarding the Star Wars lines tells me that new TVC figures ought to be around $25, no joke -- like, if the current tooling went away and they had to start from scratch, every TVC figure would cost $25 (Unless it was a Deluxe figure, they would still be more.) Be it the complexity of their construction and paint apps, the ever lower order quantities they can sell as the brand struggles to retain relevance as a kids toy, or the licensing fees being squeezed out of them by Disney, we are kind of lucky the line got rebooted in 2018 and luckier still that it seems to be maintaining a foothold in stores.

My hat is off to the fact that they can work some brilliant budgeting math to get figures out at the prices they currently do. It is all precipitated on the repaints of previously released figures, the rereleasing of figures, and yes the near constant trooper rereleases. I think there is a machine in a factory in China that has had the Stormtrooper tooling in it for 4 years straight now, running 24/7, trying furiously to subsidize the line with all the repaints and rereleases they can get out of that tooling.

But what running decisions through that equation means to the line has become very clear now: Troopers and "part-swap friendly" designs will always get preference over one-off characters when it comes to new tooling. In 2022 I don't think there was a single new figure that was designed as a one-off...even the Dark Troopers came out immediately as a Deluxe release and as a battle-damaged version in the Exclusive multipack.

I enjoy seeing new sculpts as much as the next collector, but I have embraced that not only are they are going to be few and far between, but that they are going to be more and more sourced from the Disney "entertainment" and are going to be less and less anything I want to collect.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 4, 2022, 12:12 AM »
This is why I miss the les articulated figures.  I may be in the minority but I’d rather have more character variety and less tooling.

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 4, 2022, 08:23 AM »
I was pretty much done collecting in 2008 before TVC started, but I cherry picked new stuff I liked if/when I saw it in stores after that. I don't feel like I really got back into it until 2016, when the Rogue One 5POA line really added a ton of OT-adjacent designs that I really wanted. I would love to see a "20-40 new figures a year" 5poa line still going to give the Disney+ show lines some depth and true world building.

But without kid and retailer support, that ship has sailed.