Author Topic: TVC Troop Builder Packs - What do you want to see?  (Read 254 times)

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
TVC Troop Builder Packs - What do you want to see?
« on: September 13, 2021, 07:40 AM »
We've been really consumed with the ordering process of this first troop builder set, but I think it's worth examining the concept of this particular sub-line. 

The general theme as stated in the livestream is 3 x grunt troopers and a squad leader.  I completely understand and agree with launching this line with Imperial Stormtroopers.  That's just what you do when you launch this kind of sub-line.  But where to go from here?  The obvious ones to me?

GRAND ARMY OF THE REPUBLIC - PHASE I
3 x Clone Troopers (aka "shinies")
1 x Clone Trooper NCO or Officer
NOTES:
-I would personally opt for either the Sergeant or Lieutenant who have been released in the VC-045 Clone body before on a basic figure card.  Leave the option open for the other Clone Trooper officers to be released on their own TVC cards at some point
-Phase 1 clone armor seems like the easier route than Phase 2 for a line launch since it's far more uniform in deco

IMPERIAL TROOPERS - THE BAD BATCH
3 x TK Troopers
1 x Imperial Commando (formerly Republic Commandos)
NOTES:
-The recent focus on The Bad Batch will no doubt come into play here.  But I would expect to see a basic figure release of the TK Trooper on a basic figure card before this kind of 4-pack release
-The Commando is wishful thinking on my par, but it is a sculpt that's in their library - the Commando sculpts from the SOTDS line come to mind

REBEL FLEET TROOPERS - ROGUE ONE
4 x Rebel Fleet Troopers (VC 183) with individual headsculpts
NOTES:
-This could be one of the most significant tests of this concept.  Rebel Troopers do have uniforms, but they aren't always, well, uniform.  In the case of the Fleet troopers you've got different facial likeness, visor up or down or even none at all, and possibly different weapons.

FIRST ORDER STORMTROOPERS
3 x First Order Stormtroopers
1 x First Order Stormtrooper Squad Leader - orange pauldron
NOTES:
-This one pretty much writes itself since it's an evolution from the Imperial Stormtrooper model

GRAND ARMY OF THE REPUBLIC - Phase 2 armor
Where do you even start here?  Which unit?  What kind of squad leader or officer?
« Last Edit: September 13, 2021, 07:43 AM by Nicklab »
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
Re: TVC Troop Builder Packs - What do you want to see?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2021, 08:15 AM »
Don’t forget a Imperial Deathtrooper pack to tag along with Krennic (should they ever choose to make him) or Moff Gideon.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2021, 08:54 AM »
Don’t forget a Imperial Deathtrooper pack to tag along with Krennic (should they ever choose to make him) or Moff Gideon.

I'd really like to see a Krennic made in TVC style.  But based on what Hasbro said in the livestream I think we're probably not going to see the squad leader or officer differ too much from the rest of the troops.  I could see them offering 3 x standard Death Troopers with a variety of weapons, but the squad leader would have a pauldron.

The cynic in me now sees this for what it is - another way to use the same figure buck for the entire set of four, rather than making more different figures. 

Feedback

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2021, 10:01 AM »
I like your ideas, Nick.  I don't recall if I said it here as well or just in the TVC FB group, but this stormtrooper pack is a trial balloon for this concept.  With the success of the stormtroopers I be we see more.  I do like the idea of a death trooper pack and that one would not need a squad leader.

As for phase 2 clone troopers, you could do tons of variants on that one, start with the 501st and work your way through the Grand Army of the Republic.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2021, 10:50 AM »
The clones and helmeted guys are great, but what I'd really like is more human / rebel troops with unique faces, like Nick mentioned with RFT's.

Hoth, Endor... hell, Naboo... anywhere that guys aren't wearing helmets, it would be nice to have more variety there.

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2021, 11:09 AM »
I will toss in my idea contribution: Rogue One Tank crew 4-pack.

As for the Stormtroopers, I wound up with 4 4 packs on order, so 16 new stormies. Bringing my grand total of TVC Rogue One Tormtroopers to...17.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2021, 11:41 AM »

I like this idea.  I'd also like a Shoretrooper pack since that'd be easy to offer up a "squad leader" with just some deco change and ties into Mando season 2 quite nicely.
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2021, 11:44 AM »

I like this idea.  I'd also like a Shoretrooper pack since that'd be easy to offer up a "squad leader" with just some deco change and ties into Mando season 2 quite nicely.

Oh yeah, I really like the idea of the Shoretrooper. How many variations were there in the movie though? There's the one we have in TVC and the office, but weren't there one or 2 others?
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2021, 12:17 PM »

I like both of these ideas!  The Rogue One tank drivers and commander now command a small fortune per figure on the secondary market.  They would be great additions to this line.

The Shoretrooper pack would be excellent, too.  I think in that case it would be easier to make a Shoretrooper Captain.  The Shoretrooper Squad Leader has a kama which makes things a little different.  But the Captain is very close to the standard Shoretrooper but with different paint apps.

JediBusiness Comparison tool - TVC Shoretrooper / Shoretrooper Captain

JediBusiness Comparison tool - TVC Shoretrooper / Shoretrooper Squad Leader

Feedback

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2021, 12:25 PM »

I'd really like to see a Krennic made in TVC style.  But based on what Hasbro said in the livestream I think we're probably not going to see the squad leader or officer differ too much from the rest of the troops.  I could see them offering 3 x standard Death Troopers with a variety of weapons, but the squad leader would have a pauldron.

The cynic in me now sees this for what it is - another way to use the same figure buck for the entire set of four, rather than making more different figures.

Yeah, Krennic on a separate carded figure with the 4-pack of Death Troopers. 

Is it really cynical or being realistic?

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2021, 12:38 PM »
The clones and helmeted guys are great, but what I'd really like is more human / rebel troops with unique faces, like Nick mentioned with RFT's.

Hoth, Endor... hell, Naboo... anywhere that guys aren't wearing helmets, it would be nice to have more variety there.

SAME!  My big concern is that Hasbro will do what is most cost effective for them.

I think the Hoth troopers might be pretty feasible.  By and large they all have the same uniform, which is helpful.  The TLC versions had the two different helmet/hats and different likenesses.  So those options and alternate heads make it seem more viable.

But with other Rebel troopers?  Like the Scarif Pathfinders or the Endor Rebel Commandos?  The uniforms are way more individualized.  There seem to be about 4 different uniform variations for the Endor troopers, and the Scarif troops have even more than that - at least 3 different helmets, different vests, different weapons.  Based on what Hasbro has done and seems prepared to do?  I'm not optimistic about what they might do with either of these kinds of troops - and I WANT THESE FIGURES

Feedback

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2021, 12:21 AM »
Agree on all of the above.  Not a bad idea in the bunch.  I’d love to see Hasbro go back to this in some capacity.  We’ve been starved for army builders since retail kind of collapsed.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2021, 10:11 AM »
I think a rebel fleet trooper pack could be feasible.  Three in blue with different head sculpts and one in tan...could be an easy way to get a new Captain Antillies.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2021, 12:50 PM »
Huh…

Okay.

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2021, 01:46 PM »
If the next reveal that pairs up with this set is a Mon Cal 4-pack of repainted Admiral Ackbars in salmon, aqua, and white skintone varieties--I would bite on that one!

Probably too much work for them, but I agree and if they go that route I'd love some Rogue One rebel troopers that throw some different head sculpts on the same body.  Again, probably more work than they are willing to do with their repaint money factory.