Author Topic: TLC Millenium Falcon  (Read 232196 times)

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
Re: TLC Millenium Falcon Upgrade
« Reply #405 on: May 9, 2008, 04:20 PM »
Anyone else read Adam May's Galactic Blogger entry today over at GalacticHunter.com?  Sounds like the gods have been angered over the leak of the Falcon photos.  And I'm not surprised since the press release, after the leak, mentioned Wired as having first dibs on breaking that news.

I'm assuming that the "prominent" site is RS and, if so, I could make a guess on who they think leaked the photos.  But I could be wrong.  Either way, it's interesting to actually hear about this from a site as normally this sort of thing seems to get swept behind the scenes and we only hear about it after the fact and in even more vaguely written forum posts or in whispers at conventions.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: May 9, 2008, 04:22 PM »
Yes, but the knees on that figure aren't articulated.  It looks like the fit for the rear jumpseats might be a little snug.

Geez, I totally forgot about that with Ol' Ben.

...customizing time.

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: May 9, 2008, 04:53 PM »
Anyone else read Adam May's Galactic Blogger entry today over at GalacticHunter.com?  Sounds like the gods have been angered over the leak of the Falcon photos.  And I'm not surprised since the press release, after the leak, mentioned Wired as having first dibs on breaking that news.

I'm assuming that the "prominent" site is RS and, if so, I could make a guess on who they think leaked the photos.  But I could be wrong.  Either way, it's interesting to actually hear about this from a site as normally this sort of thing seems to get swept behind the scenes and we only hear about it after the fact and in even more vaguely written forum posts or in whispers at conventions.

E...

I read it and I'm in agreement with GH.

Hasbro is just POed because they didn't get to break the info the way they wanted to do it. Hell if you ask me, it was BETTER to have been broken by a SW collecting site than some mag that many of us don't buy.

Having this info come out early HAS enabled many a collector to BUDGET for it.

At the hefty $150+ price, not every collector who would want one could save that much in a months time (the perceived time of the "official" release of info had Hasbro had their way).

These extra few weeks have helped those folks to save up for it. Otherwise it could have been a matter of people picking either the AT-TE OR the Falcon. And that would have had some serious negative repercussions to it for future large items.

The buzz created by the release of the pics has been overwhelmingly positive (regardless of those few who are naysaying the toy).

So Wired didn't get to release the info first. So WHAT!

It's the people who mattered and yes by that I mean we collectors, who should have gotten this info first.

If we'd have been blindsided by this, while we would have been excited, again the short amount of time for many to save up for it, would have hindered sales.

I don't blame Adam for not disclosing his source. It's not some government secret. IT'S A TOY!!!

Get over it Hasbro and be glad we the FANDOM have accepted this toy. It's a great product to be sure from what we've seen, yet it IS pricey.

You tok a risk on producing it, and with just a little bit of effort to check all the major collecting sites, you can see that it's going to pay off.

In today's world, it's rare for things to stay secret. And a toy from the most popular movie franchise in history is not one of those secrets that is going to be kept. It's ridiculous to even think so.

So don't be mad Hasbro. Consider it an early test market and that it's a success. You're going to reap the benefits from this come July.

I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #408 on: May 9, 2008, 09:08 PM »
From the Yak Q&A session this week...

Q3: With Hasbro's "official" acknowledgment of the existence of the BMF (Big Millennium Falcon) can you answer a couple questions regarding it. Does it have the quad cannon on its underside? Is the panel on the rear of the ship (above the engines) removable like the vintage mold? Does it have a handle on the bottom to aide in the recreation of those epic space battles? Can the escape pod/shuttle be plugged/docked in between the Falcon's freight mandibles (forked forward section)?

A3) "Answers are: 1. It does have a non-firing quad cannon on the underside. 2. The rear cover is not removable, except for the battery access hatch, as the electronics and other mechanical components are housed in this area. 3. No, there is not a dedicated handle - the size and weight of this version would really not allow you to “fly” it around like the original – as you stated above – this truly is a BMF!!! 4. Space restrictions (especially the width) in the interior docking bay dictated the overall dimensions of the escape pod. Unfortunately, the distance between the mandibles are too wide for the escape pod to dock.

A quad cannon on the underbelly = cool.  :)
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: May 10, 2008, 09:32 AM »
That is cool. Glad someone asked that question.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2008, 09:32 AM by Darth_Anton »
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline CloneF13Y35

• Jedi Padawan
  • I think I"m a CLone Now
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: May 10, 2008, 11:03 AM »
as BIG and as expensive as this thing's gonna be, as a grown up collector who fondly remembers playing with my vintage (still have it) Falcon, I'm really excited over this. Now my son who is also big into SW thanks to me, leans more towards the at-te,  and since they BOTH are coming just before his birthday in late July, I'm thinking I might have to get both, he gets ONE for his Bday then I stash the other one til xmas. that way he gets TWO big SW toys this year. I like the falcon for obvious nostalgia reasons, all they room to play with the figures in, re-create so many scenes in the cockpit with FOUR figs plus scenes from ESB and RotJ.
{{|///////Frank//}[================>
"I think I'm a Clone now"
"No I'm not!"
"Yes - I AM"

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: May 11, 2008, 06:59 PM »
I am not sure why Hasbro really thought they were going to be able to keep that a secret up until the Comic Con?  I mean the retail computer systems seem to confirm everything practically a half year or more before items are released anyway.  I am not sure about that time frame but it seems like it.  That was just too big an item to not get leaked out.  I give them an A for effort but someone is always willing to spill the beans about anything toy related.  I think they should just bite the bullet and tell it how they want to a long time in advance.  Obviously they knew for awhile now when they were going to release this.  The prime time would have been at the Toy Fair in New York. 

Oh well, not big deal I guess.  I just find it kind of funny. 

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #412 on: May 13, 2008, 03:20 PM »
Guys,

Don't be easily fooled by this "GH is being targeted and angered Hasbro's God's" ploy.  All pictures of that nature are Watermarked, Hasbro can easily trace something if they want to because only select people have access. Each watermark is different and Wired would have there own.

The packaging department has control of pictures like this, they are eventually responsible for all final product photos for use with the package and marketing. This is a dog & pony show to make this item more legendary with collectors for an underground grass roots approach. Hasbro Marketing purposely leaks stuff out to keep you talking and build buzz around the item. I have friends there and they tell me Hasbro is not mad at all, in fact they love the hype. GH has had no worthy news in ages, while I do like them unlike Sandlosers.com, this is helping their site rep and building traffic for them. They will milk this for what is worth and keep the story alive.

Take all of this with a grain of salt and do not believe everything that's being spoon fed to us. I can believe that Hasbro is mad at the Lars homestead BP leak. Unfinished mock ups are not something they want shown, that is a real leak and not good for business. The Falcon mock ups shown are finished models that represent the actual product. That's how you will tell the difference between what's really "leaked".
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: May 13, 2008, 05:58 PM »
Guys,

Don't be easily fooled by this "GH is being targeted and angered Hasbro's God's" ploy.  All pictures of that nature are Watermarked, Hasbro can easily trace something if they want to because only select people have access. Each watermark is different and Wired would have there own.

The packaging department has control of pictures like this, they are eventually responsible for all final product photos for use with the package and marketing. This is a dog & pony show to make this item more legendary with collectors for an underground grass roots approach. Hasbro Marketing purposely leaks stuff out to keep you talking and build buzz around the item. I have friends there and they tell me Hasbro is not mad at all, in fact they love the hype. GH has had no worthy news in ages, while I do like them unlike Sandlosers.com, this is helping their site rep and building traffic for them. They will milk this for what is worth and keep the story alive.

Take all of this with a grain of salt and do not believe everything that's being spoon fed to us. I can believe that Hasbro is mad at the Lars homestead BP leak. Unfinished mock ups are not something they want shown, that is a real leak and not good for business. The Falcon mock ups shown are finished models that represent the actual product. That's how you will tell the difference between what's really "leaked".

Well, I had thought this too, but didn't want to sound like a conspiracy theorist (not that you are Jack-that's not what I'm saying). It most certainly would be within Hasbro to do something like this. Hell the infamous April Fool's day figures should be a clue that they are not beyond trumping up something like this to hype up their product. It never jived with me that they would give this info to a magazine. Just doesn't fit with the norm.
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010

Offline Dan

• Jedi Knight
  • Got some
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: May 13, 2008, 10:47 PM »
One thing the big H avoids by not leaking things too early is the expectation that they will make changes based on people's opinions. I would think that if they told us in 2010 that a 42" high AT-AT was coming, it would be 2 years of:
1- WOOOHOOO posts
2- Why not 44"? posts
3- "Not another supersized ship" posts
4- "Quit taking my money out of my Wallet!" posts
5- "I hope it's a Target exclusive so I can get it for 30% off in 40 days" posts

I don't mean to be quite as sarcastic as the post looks, take it as self directed sarcasm. It is just that with the fan community wanting so many different things, ANY product is bound to be targeted with negatives. By waiting until the retail launch window is nigh, they can avoid months or years of "constructive criticisim" by 4,755 people who want 3,642 different things.

And I would pay $220 for the AT-AT. In less than a heartbeat.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2008, 10:48 PM by Dan »

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #415 on: May 13, 2008, 10:50 PM »
42" AT-AT's almost to-scale.  I'm with you thus far.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline clonebuyer111

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: May 14, 2008, 03:40 PM »
i cant wait to buy the new Millenium Falcon!
it will be exciting!

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #417 on: May 15, 2008, 03:12 PM »
Well, I had thought this too, but didn't want to sound like a conspiracy theorist (not that you are Jack-that's not what I'm saying). It most certainly would be within Hasbro to do something like this. Hell the infamous April Fool's day figures should be a clue that they are not beyond trumping up something like this to hype up their product. It never jived with me that they would give this info to a magazine. Just doesn't fit with the norm.

I know what you meant Sal (I appreciate the gesture) I am not into conspiracy theorists, I have a "friend" with direct connections, so I am basing it on that. GH needs some traffic and attention, I do not blame them for that. It's just that it is old news, we are excited, it's confirmed and we are all ready to plunk down the cash for it. Next story please, no more milk from it. As I said earlier if this was Sandtroopers I would unleash the hate.

Dan is right on the too early leak, some people are too hard to please. A 42" AT-AT sounds really sweet. Any leaks on that one LMK.
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: May 20, 2008, 02:32 PM »

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: May 20, 2008, 02:56 PM »
Adam's getting his own figure?! Cool! I've always wanted an Adam figure.  ;)

This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours