Author Topic: 2023 TVC ROTJ Speeder Bike with Scout Trooper  (Read 2790 times)

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
Re: 2023 TVC ROTJ Speeder Bike with Scout Trooper
« Reply #15 on: August 3, 2022, 08:12 AM »
Ah thanks Nick, I meant the Discover the Force speeder bike. That thing is excellent, and I have like four of them.

It's all good!  Keeping track of everything Hasbro has made can be a monumental pain in the ass.  I agree though - that Discover the Force Speeder Bike was excellent, and I know I've got a few as well.

The Legacy Collection speederbike was an all-new mold and it's excellent. The only problem is that it was a TRU exclusive. Allegedly they lost the mold for it though, so that's probably why they're doing the full resculpt (again).

There seems to be a theory circulating in the community regarding Legacy Collection sculpts and tooling.  And it amounts to something like a lot of the Legacy Collection era tooling was lost.  I'm not sure where that information came from, but it's definitely unfortunate if that's the case.  Because there were some amazing figures made during that run.
« Last Edit: August 3, 2022, 08:13 AM by Nicklab »
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #16 on: August 3, 2022, 09:50 AM »
I just can't buy into the "we lost the legacy tooling" hypothesis.  These tools are expensive and not exactly something you could easily misplace.  I'm more of a mind that there's an expense there Hasbro just does not want to spend.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #17 on: August 3, 2022, 09:58 AM »
I just can't buy into the "we lost the legacy tooling" hypothesis.

Sometimes "we lost the tooling" doesn't mean they physically lost it, but just lost access to using it.

Sometimes the molds are designed to work with a particular set of machines and if Hasbro is no longer using the factory that has those machines or the factory upgraded their machinery such that the old tools don't work with the new machines, then the tooling is essentially "lost".
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 3, 2022, 11:15 AM »
The Legacy Collection tooling issue definitely comes across as odd.  But the business side of working with these contractors in China, Vietnam and elsewhere probably has some complications.  You would think that perhaps Hasbro could make an effort to own the physical injection mold tools, but I don't know if their contractors would ever agree to that.

Feedback

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #19 on: August 3, 2022, 01:48 PM »
Good points guys....I didn't really consider that.  But Hasbro's a much larger company than other toy manufacturers, you would think they wouldn't have those types of factory problems.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2022, 08:54 PM »
So... what do you think they are going to charge us for the all-new ROTJ 40th Anniversary Speeder Bike with Scout Trooper = $40? $50?  $60?

It looks like the answer might be $45 according to Jayson's intel...   

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2022, 01:06 AM »
It’ll be interesting to see what kind of improvement this is over the last one, which was pretty solid.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2022, 06:59 AM »
That 2012 release was great.  I was puzzled at the time about the inclusion of the tripod laser cannon, but it added some value.  The $24.99 price tag of the Discover the Force version seemed a little high at the time, but seems far more palatable than $45.

Historically speeder bikes with figures have been priced like this:
1998 POTF2 - $9.99
2002 SAGA Clone Trooper & speeder bike - $9.99
2003 SAGA Anakin & swoop / Dooku & speeder bike - $14.99
2003 CLONE WARS - $9.99
2005 ROTS - $9.99 - $14.99
2008 - 2011 CW / TLC - $15.99 - $19.99
2012 DTF / MH - $19.99 - $24.99

Those price increases from POTF2 up through 2012 were gradual.  And the difference between the POTF2 speeder bike to the 2012 version was like night and day.  THAT price increase was justified by the jump in quality and the passage of 14 years.  But this increase to $45?  Hasbro needs to start justifying some of this beyond "the state of the world".  Because I am not sure that the possible improvements between the 2012 version and what they plan to release in 2023 is the equivalent of the advancements from 1998 to 2012.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2022, 07:15 AM by Nicklab »

Feedback

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2022, 10:42 AM »
I am not sure that the possible improvements between the 2012 version and what they plan to release in 2023 is the equivalent of the advancements from 1998 to 2012.

Not to mention the fact that they will likely amortize the tooling cost by re-issuing this sculpt over and over again - with Endor Luke/Leia/Paploo, with Scout Trooper or IG-11/Grogu for TM, etc.

Like Rob said, it'll be interesting to see what they actually do with this and the Scout Trooper.  I've got four of the 2012 TRU bikes and they hold up well.  The stands are too tall, but otherwise they are great.

I might pass on the initial pre-order for this and wait to see what happens.  Will they release the Scout by himself on a TVC card?  Will they do re-issues quickly or space them out?  I feel like I'm much more likely to buy a IG-11/Grogu speeder bike repaint than I am yet another ROTJ bike.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2022, 01:54 PM »
I am not sure that the possible improvements between the 2012 version and what they plan to release in 2023 is the equivalent of the advancements from 1998 to 2012.

Not to mention the fact that they will likely amortize the tooling cost by re-issuing this sculpt over and over again - with Endor Luke/Leia/Paploo, with Scout Trooper or IG-11/Grogu for TM, etc.

That's the business model now, isn't it?  Get your money's worth out of the tooling investment.  How many times has Hasbro re-released that VC140 Stormtrooper sculpt?  I think it's at least 6 times, and it's also the basis for the new VC231 Stormtrooper (along with some improvements), as well as the E-WEB version.  I fully expect to see more Stormtroopers based on VC231 in the near future, too.

Feedback

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2022, 02:57 PM »
That's the business model now, isn't it?  Get your money's worth out of the tooling investment.  How many times has Hasbro re-released that VC140 Stormtrooper sculpt?  I think it's at least 6 times, and it's also the basis for the new VC231 Stormtrooper (along with some improvements), as well as the E-WEB version.  I fully expect to see more Stormtroopers based on VC231 in the near future, too.

And it's a shame too.  It's made the offerings pretty boring.  Nearly everything is a double-dip, or ripe for future double dipping.

Clones, Stormtroopers, Mandos, the Jedi Order 3-Pack, even the Tank Driver has Migs and Din versions... the Bespin Guards,...  all the 4-Packs are cool, but all are based on selling you the same thing twice.  Then there's always Carbonized or Retro Prototype or they slap a new head on something and call it Photoreal.. You know the OWK Vader is coming in ANH and ROTJ versions...

It feels like quality items that are just going to exist in one form make up like 20% of what's released.  I get it, but it's meant far fewer good characters are getting made.

Online P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2022, 03:38 PM »
Don't forget Figrin D'an!  Sell you one on card and release a 7-piece set of the same figure to make the band!  They only need to "make" new or reproduce the old instruments.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2022, 04:34 PM »
Don't forget Figrin D'an!  Sell you one on card and release a 7-piece set of the same figure to make the band!  They only need to "make" new or reproduce the old instruments.

Totally.  Or literally all of the deluxe sets.  Ahsoka then Ashoka with a cloth cape and another Grogu.  The Incinerator Trooper then the Incinerator Trooper with some flames and another Grogu.  The Darktrooper that everyone wants 10 or 20 of... Mando then Mando with dirt then Mando with a cloth cape.  $25 Boba Fett then $25 Boba Fett with new legs!

It's really not good. 

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2022, 04:44 PM »

I think somebody mentioned that the tech to sculpt in 6" and 3.75" is virtually the same, so once you've sculpted one scale its pretty easy to port it over to the other. 

As a result we've also seen a lot of the double dipping and triple and quadruple dipping across the scales.  3.75" and 6" cantina band in different configurations, Shore Troopers, etc.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2022, 06:24 PM by Dave »

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2022, 05:08 PM »
That bothers me less since I don't collect both, but 6" seems to be getting much more product.  I with they'd downsize more of them for TVC releases.