Author Topic: Big Items of the Future!  (Read 211209 times)

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
Re: Big Items of the Future!
« Reply #750 on: July 13, 2020, 01:09 AM »
I wouldn’t buy because I don’t collect 6”, but what about a 6” scale Rancor?  $350 is probably way too high for that... but I can’t think of anything comparable to the Sentinel figure in SW...  plenty of vehicles, but like you’re saying regarding space issues... 6” vehicles is tricky.

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: July 13, 2020, 01:43 PM »
I think there is a lot to take from this one, many points already made, but I think the biggest thing is that Marvel has remained virtually the same scale for the last 20 years, while Vintage/3.75 inch are seen as an "old fogey" type of line. Let's face it, people like us who visit collectors forums are a dying breed, and younger fans/collectors have moved to or started with the 6 inch line. They're more concerned about getting 6 inch style Clone Wars and Rise of Skywalker figures than they are getting vehicles we've wanted for 30 years.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: July 13, 2020, 02:45 PM »
I think there is a lot to take from this one, many points already made, but I think the biggest thing is that Marvel has remained virtually the same scale for the last 20 years, while Vintage/3.75 inch are seen as an "old fogey" type of line. Let's face it, people like us who visit collectors forums are a dying breed, and younger fans/collectors have moved to or started with the 6 inch line. They're more concerned about getting 6 inch style Clone Wars and Rise of Skywalker figures than they are getting vehicles we've wanted for 30 years.

You're probably not wrong, but the secondary market prices on some of these older 3.75" figures and the fact that you can't find this stuff in stores at all tells me that people ARE collecting them, at least in the quantities that they're being produced at.

As an nearly 40 year old with disposable income, I'd rather they make figures $20 a piece and start giving us never-before-made characters again... sell them directly through Pulse... whatever they've gotta do, I just don't need another K2SO and another Chirrut and another Hoth Leia... We've got more Lukes, Leias, Hans and Vaders than we know what to do with.  Give us interesting and obscure, but most importantly NEW.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2020, 02:48 PM by Rob »

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: July 13, 2020, 05:10 PM »

That’s a really interesting point, and probably a longer discussion thread, but something I’ve been curious about too. Really there is no way of knowing for sure, and it doesn’t impact what we are interested in one way or the other, but are the older school fans and collectors truly a “dying breed” (for lack of a better term). The most recent Black Series Fan Choice Poll really started me thinking about this again. Cody is a fine choice, sure, but I was a little surprised he won. I guess those polls have often been a little wonky, but that coupled with a lot of what I see on social media really points to the “Clone Wars Generation” inheriting things now. Not that I have a problem with that, it’s just interesting to me.

I basically enjoy most to all that we see from Star Wars, even if I’ll always look at the OT as my Star Wars in particular. I enjoy Rebels, CW, PT, ST, Solo, R1, and definitely the Mandalorian. I’ve just noticed as my daughter moved into middle school last year, a lot of kids that age (and older), really have next to no idea about the OT stuff outside of “Darth Vader” “Chewbacca”, and “Stormtroopers” unless their parents are fans. Heck, I work with a number of people in the 20-30 range who haven’t even seen those movies. I do wonder if 3 3/4” is indeed the “old people scale”, because you see very little of it. Some Fortnite, and Spinmaster is trying some stuff with DC, but that’s about it. Anyways, just getting old I guess...

Back on topic, the closest 6” scale approximation to the Sentinel I can think of is something like the Rancor. That would be crazy to see.

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: July 13, 2020, 05:56 PM »
I'm 42. Been playing with or collecting 3.75 Star Wars pretty much since I was born. Buy dumb variations your average person wouldn't notice. Etc.

With a few exceptions (source material I love with no other option) I won't touch anything non Star Wars that isn't 5 inches or bigger. Not sure what that means exactly, but I think it says something.
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline EdSolo

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: July 14, 2020, 09:05 AM »
This is my $0.02 on all of this.  The Barge is a very cool item, but hardly an item that I think fandom had been clamoring for.  I also think people held back on signing up because the number required for it get made.  I had quit Hasbro for years by the time they made the Barge, but I purchased one just because of the playset aspect and I liked the concept of large items actually seeing the light of day in this fashion.  I didn't get on board until the goal had been met.  I still haven't unpacked the thing because I really don't have room to display it.

As for Marvel, I can see a large scale sentinel being a highly desired item for that collecting base.  As people have mentioned, multiple purchases for this type of item for just display seems likely.  No one was buying multiple barges for display, only resale.  While the Barge got the exclusive Yakface, the Sentinel is getting additional add ons based on total sales, which certainly helps.

For Star Wars, I don't think making a Haslab 6" item would be the way to go.  Like others have mentioned, items like the TIE Fighter in that scale wasn't the best mover.  I think if Hasbro had went with a Death Star playset or some type of large version of the vintage Star Destroyer set would have been a much better mover than the Barge.  I personally hope for a Death Star playset.  I would sign up on day one for that.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: July 14, 2020, 10:53 AM »
Like others have mentioned, items like the TIE Fighter in that scale wasn't the best mover.  that.

Not only was it not the best mover, but you could get them for like $60 eventually - which I did despite not collecting 6".  I hung it up at my office at the time because it seemed fun.  Now, I've got this monstrosity at my house, no where to put it, and they only get about $75 on the aftermarket.  Which is fine, I didn't pay a lot for it... I just don't want to meet up with anyone to sell something like that during the pandemic.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: July 14, 2020, 09:22 PM »
I think if Hasbro had went with a Death Star playset or some type of large version of the vintage Star Destroyer set would have been a much better mover than the Barge.  I personally hope for a Death Star playset.  I would sign up on day one for that.

This.  I can't think of any "Figure" that would command this kind of price point.  Maybe a Sarlacc pit?  Certainly not a rancor.  But a 3.75" modular playset with added incentives at higher quantities?  I'm all in on that.  You could do a Death Star Playset, Star Destroyer, Cloud City, Echo Base, Mos Eisley Cantina, etc.  I think it would have to be that or some kind of really big, high demand 6" scale ship like the Twilight or Razor Crest to match the sentinel.

I'm a big Marvel fan, but not really an X-Men guy, so no interest in the Sentinel.  I can see the appeal and the extras really help, but it's not for me.  I'm really surprised at the numbers on this.  Sure, some people are army building, but I can't imagine too many people have the money or space to pick up that many duplicates.  Now if they were offering a 6" scale Quinjet?  I'm listening...
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #758 on: July 27, 2020, 11:42 PM »
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: July 28, 2020, 11:43 AM »
I don't get it... why would they re-do the vintage one and slap a TVC logo on it?!

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #760 on: July 28, 2020, 11:54 AM »
Yeah seems odd. I was thinking Retro but then why the VC logo?
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: July 28, 2020, 12:36 PM »
Just sayin', if we're doing a Death Star play set, let's do a new and improved one.

Offline StBrianOfMinneapolis

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Biggs was right!
    • View Profile
« Reply #762 on: July 28, 2020, 12:45 PM »
Paging Adam Pawlus!

That's weird that its a vintage box with TVC logo.
Macklunkey!

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: July 28, 2020, 02:32 PM »
Just sayin', if we're doing a Death Star play set, let's do a new and improved one.

++++++1

I have no interest in buying a reproduction of the vintage one.

Offline Jedi Idej

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #764 on: July 28, 2020, 08:10 PM »
Stranger is that this is EE's LEGO booth. Out of place but intentionally included. Maybe just Entertainment Earth's own creation of the DS playset using LEGO? A collaboration between Hasbro and LEGO for a LEGO Death Star playset? Or Entertainment Earth just trolling?