Author Topic: Series 2  (Read 146566 times)

Offline BigDumbWookiee

• Jedi Apprentice
  • It comes in pints?! I'm getting one.
    • View Profile
Series 2
« Reply #615 on: January 31, 2004, 02:50 PM »
Yeah, those are cool cases. The big selling point for me, on the official cases, is that they have foot pegs. A lot of my Kubrick figs dont stand real well on their own, and I dont want to be picking them up every ten minutes
"Of all the things to worry about, the wookiee has no pants..."

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Series 2
« Reply #616 on: January 31, 2004, 05:29 PM »
*huge sigh of relief*

Whew, that was a fun one...

Holy crap Adam!  You really got one!   :o

I bow down as your most humble servant, oh Kubrick Master...  What is thy bidding?

Congrats buddy.  Looking forward to pictures when you get it from Ron!  Enjoy!

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Series 2
« Reply #617 on: January 31, 2004, 10:46 PM »
Impressive.  Most impressive.

Might I suggest you never get married :-*
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline BigDumbWookiee

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Series 2
« Reply #618 on: February 1, 2004, 02:08 PM »
I dont intend to get married :) I cant put up with anyone well enough to live with them the rest of my life. Hell, I cant live with someone for more than a few months...

Offline Hes No Good to Me Dead

• Jedi Padawan
  • That's it baby, when you got it, flaunt it.
    • View Profile
    • Now With Kung-Fu Grip
Series 2
« Reply #619 on: February 1, 2004, 05:01 PM »
Nice One Adam. And a good price too!

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
Series 2
« Reply #620 on: February 3, 2004, 09:58 AM »
Just a quick note on the other case that I hooked Matt Brand with.

Case assortment:

Cantina Band Member, Han Solo, Sandtrooper.
Cantina Band Member, Han Solo, Sandtrooper.
Ben Kenobi, Han Solo, Sandtrooper.
Tusken Raider, Greedo, Sandtrooper.

All 4 Sandtroopers had White Pauldrons.  8)
The Cantina Band Members had the flute instrument.
No Indy!  :-\

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Series 2
« Reply #621 on: February 3, 2004, 01:27 PM »
Just a quick note on the other case that I hooked Matt Brand with.

All 4 Sandtroopers had White Pauldrons.  8)

Very strange...  These were at a 1:4 ratio compared to the regular Orange pauldroned Sandtrooper, right?  So instead of packing one White Sandtrooper into each case, Medicom made 1 out of every 4 cases all White.   >:(  I really can't say that I care for that strategy from Kubrick.  Instead of everyone who orders a case getting one of the White variants and being happy, only one in four people who order a case get the White, and on top of that, those people don't even get the standard Orange version.  I think that kinda stinks, and I'm sure Medicom did that on purpose, since it would be too easy for everyone to get a White one if they just ordered a case...   ::)

Oh well, I don't order cases anyway, but it still bothers me that they did it this way, thus screwing a lot of other people.  But I guess that just enhances the challenge (again) of getting the complete set...   :-\

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Series 2
« Reply #622 on: February 3, 2004, 01:49 PM »
It seems to be standard marketing practice with toys these days though.  Buzz is what it's all about.  

From my perspective though, it doesn't seem to work too well.  I think they have it down right with the way they did the chase figures for Indy and the two Fett versions.  Really quite rare and you have to have lots of luck, or a strong desire to go chasing them.  

The quasi-chase with the sandtroopers (I'm writing the cantina members off as different country of origin factors) is not such a good idea, as you indicate Matt.  

McFarlane has a similar theory and it is waning.  The anxiety it causes just isn't worth it and is pushing collectors away, at least to some extent.  It simply becomes an ebay destined product that the average collector seldom has a shot at.  Medicom does have a small advantage in that they use blind boxes, so you can't cherry-pick.  This seems to be fairly common in Japan and  might be the driving reason behind it.  Like the Tomy figures, you're probably supposed to be a couple of figures at a time, see what you get and then go back to get more.  Sort of like baseball cards.  The Tomy figures/dioramas are just like that.  I was thrilled to get two complete sets of Tomy dioramas given the difficulty I had in finding the R2/3PO diorama to complete the first set.  So unlike McFarlane, it might not be malice, just a poor translation of a normal situation in Japan to other markets.  

Certainly MOTU, Mattel Batman and others have shown how easy it is to blow the whole theory.  MOTU villains are almost chase like and certainly anything with 1 figure per case of 12 certainly fits the bill too.  Ah well, no one listens to us anyway.

Offline Padawan

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
Series 2
« Reply #623 on: February 3, 2004, 03:29 PM »
Hello everyone.  Just wanted to say hi.  I have recently acquired an addiction to Kubrick's and saw that they are pretty popular with a select few of you at jedidefender.  As of right now I only collect two Star Wars related lines, Unleashed and Kubrick's.  I am sure many of you have heard of kubrickworld.com, but if not you should register for it.  I look forward to talking to everyone about my latest addiction.   :)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Series 2
« Reply #624 on: February 3, 2004, 04:10 PM »
Welcome Padawan!  Glad to have you join in the fun, checked out the site, looks good!  So what is your collection comprised of Kubricks wise and I agree they are an addiction!

Offline Padawan

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
Series 2
« Reply #625 on: February 3, 2004, 04:30 PM »
So far I have the following:
Batman DC Direct set
Matrix set of 8 with two Twins
Star Wars series 2 set of 6
White Pauldron Sandtrooper
Indiana Jones
Keymaker from Matrix
Architect from Matrix

I also have the alternate instrument Cantina Band Member on the way from DSJ.   :)

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Series 2
« Reply #626 on: February 3, 2004, 04:36 PM »
Hey, welcome to the Kubrick party Padawan!  Nice to have you join us here, at ye olde JediDefender.   8)  Indeed, we do have some rabid Kubrick collectors on board here, and we definitely enjoy trading them amongst eachother so as to keep us all up to speed with a complete set.  You're in good hands if you're already receiving service from Dale!   ;)

BTW, we have another Kubrick thread here at JD to discuss all the other, non-Star Wars Kubricks line, so stop by right here to join in on that Kubrick conversation as well, if you'd like...

Looking forward to chatting Kubricks with you.  Enjoy the site, and let us know if you have any comments, questions, or suggestions about anything...

- Matt

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Series 2
« Reply #627 on: February 3, 2004, 04:36 PM »
Indy :'(

Offline BigDumbWookiee

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Series 2
« Reply #628 on: February 3, 2004, 04:52 PM »
Welcome to our little club! Admission is free, but you're never allowed to leave...

;D

Offline Padawan

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
Series 2
« Reply #629 on: February 3, 2004, 05:47 PM »
BigDumbWookiee, just wanted to say congrat's on your acquisition of the elusive carded Fett.  I doubt I will ever be able to own that piece, but I am definitely going to try and get the rest of the Star Wars Kubrick's.  I tried to place a bid on the loose Early Bird set last night.  It was at $67.02 with 30 seconds to go.  Ended up going for $113 and some change.   :'(